Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi RS4 B5 (2000 - 2001) - 2.7 v6 biturbo

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2009, 07:04 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi RS4 B5 (2000 - 2001) - 2.7 v6 biturbo

Guys, never really driven this car, but need to know if anyone on here has, if so what do they drive like standard or tuned.
Standard they kick out 380bhp but tweaked they run 455ish bhp by around 465ish torque.

want to know how aggressive the power delivery is? what they drive like in general on motorway and on bendy roads.
thanks
Old 01 September 2009, 07:17 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS246.com :: Dedicated to Audi S & RS Models will be of great help!
Old 01 September 2009, 07:28 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

cheers, cocker, im on there already.
really wanted to see if anyone on here has driven one, as stated in my first post.
i want your opinions
Old 01 September 2009, 07:36 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

I've had 2 of them 1 red and 1 blue, the second had around 440bhp...stage 1 and Miltek with sportec wheels and brakes. The cars speed is very deceptive due to it being very refined and insulated, it will need the suspension sorting as it is a bit of a barge in the corners ( the 1 thing I never got round to doing).
Would I have another...oh yes especially in Imola yellow...very rare.

Mog

Name:  DCP_0079.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  DCP_0035.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  114.7 KB

Last edited by Mog; 01 September 2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: as promised
Old 01 September 2009, 10:37 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Nice!

TX.

Originally Posted by Mog
Old 01 September 2009, 11:02 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

stunning.
must have been quick!
thats exactly what im after
Old 02 September 2009, 08:01 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

hi,

My friend has a blue one, similar to the guy above's picture. Ive had it a number of times and boy its a quick car. Servicing can be expensive, and I know he's spent a good £10K on it already, however this does include upgrades / performance bits and pieces. He uses a company in Barnbury, MRC or something.

There are some weak spots in the engine though, MAF, oil leaks at the back, and other bits that the guys on RS246 will descirbe.

I love the car, its so quick, and I mean quick. The pull / acceleration is amazing. Best combination of performance + family car - space.

SBK
Old 02 September 2009, 09:33 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats it like accelleration wise compared to a mildly modded 330bhp scoob?

Does it feel like brutal mental accelleration like the scoob? Rip your face off fast? Or is the weight to much for 440bhp? How much do these cars weigh?
Old 02 September 2009, 10:04 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock B5 RS4 has similar acceleration to a 330 BHP Scooby I would say, but it does it with much more smoothness, a wider power band, breathes well at the top due to the size of the turbos and the Cosworth cylinder heads. It doesn't feel brutal like a Scooby, but it does accelerate very well indeed. Stock suspension felt perhaps oversprung but also underdamped, bouncy without enough wheel travel.
Old 02 September 2009, 11:41 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You must remember the Youtube clip of a RS4 vs a M5 on a motorway ... the RS4 seemed to engage warp speed & just teleported up the road! Never seen anything like it

TX.
Old 02 September 2009, 11:55 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

i demand a link to that video?

There is one in brazil followed by a scoob i think also.

How do they compare to the 55/63 AMG's i.e. the C/SL newish? Accelleration wise?
Old 02 September 2009, 12:02 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I had a sti v6 coupe that was moddied to around 340bhp, I have a twin turbo supra moddied to around 351bhp, but my friends RS4 is far quicker, far more powerful. The delivery of the power is endless and there isnt much on the roads that can tackle it.

Handling wise, mmm its a big heavy car, and isnt as sharp as the sti, but considering its an estate, then you would expect this.

Best thing you can do, is find one and test it. These things need to be driven to be fully understod. A lot quote a large amount of bhp, but I never trust that. For me I would try and find a standard one and leave it alone.

For the right money, I would definately have one !!! Try to find one thats had the cambelt / pullies done, as this is a major job, whole front end off, and costs big cash.

SBK
Old 02 September 2009, 12:11 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Video as requested

YouTube - BMW M5 vs Audi RS4 Russia

Banny
Old 02 September 2009, 12:12 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Beat me to it!

Can't condone this sort of thing on a busy road but just check out the speed of the RS4!

TX.

Originally Posted by scoobyc
i demand a link to that video?

Last edited by Terminator X; 02 September 2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: too slow ...
Old 02 September 2009, 12:22 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Juice
stunning.
must have been quick!
thats exactly what im after
Make up your bloody mind
Old 02 September 2009, 02:06 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
^^ Beat me to it!

Can't condone this sort of thing on a busy road but just check out the speed of the RS4!

TX.
Tbf a lot of the time it seems the M5 is being a bit more restrained if you listen to the engine note. Still they are both a pair of nutters.

Simon
Old 02 September 2009, 03:34 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Not an RS4, but I had an S4 bi turbo with full RS4 running gear, turbos, and properly set up to 440bhp/460ftlb and have to say the power was brutal. I have had about 7 scoobs all in various states of tune and best being a 380/380 2.5 classic, and the S4 was much more brutal power. Power was great, but the torque was just mental.

6th gear plant on the motorway at 90mph it would just lurch forward like you was in 2nd gear. Despite it being a barge and very refined, the power was still unmistakable.

I loved that S4 and should have kept it. But the mechanics on the car were very scary and the engine bay is packed. An RS4 with stage1/2 map would be a great a car.

But as said above the suspension would need to be sorted if you want to drive one in anger down the twisities. Had a good tangle with my mates E46 M3, in a straight line there was no contest but in the twisities the E46 was on my bumper in and out of corners, but a quick squirt in between the short corners the torque on the S4 would instantly pull away from the M3 but really made to a handful to drive.
Old 02 September 2009, 04:05 PM
oxscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
Not an RS4, but I had an S4 bi turbo with full RS4 running gear, turbos, and properly set up to 440bhp/460ftlb and have to say the power was brutal. I have had about 7 scoobs all in various states of tune and best being a 380/380 2.5 classic, and the S4 was much more brutal power. Power was great, but the torque was just mental.

6th gear plant on the motorway at 90mph it would just lurch forward like you was in 2nd gear. Despite it being a barge and very refined, the power was still unmistakable.

I loved that S4 and should have kept it. But the mechanics on the car were very scary and the engine bay is packed. An RS4 with stage1/2 map would be a great a car.

But as said above the suspension would need to be sorted if you want to drive one in anger down the twisities. Had a good tangle with my mates E46 M3, in a straight line there was no contest but in the twisities the E46 was on my bumper in and out of corners, but a quick squirt in between the short corners the torque on the S4 would instantly pull away from the M3 but really made to a handful to drive.
Sold it already rob! You're worse than me. To be honest I really regret selling the car as the power was amazing. Hope you got good money for her. By the way, did you sell the car to a chap from sussex?
Old 02 September 2009, 05:21 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oxscooby
Sold it already rob! You're worse than me. To be honest I really regret selling the car as the power was amazing. Hope you got good money for her. By the way, did you sell the car to a chap from sussex?
Hi mate, No the Guy from Sussex was pipped to the post by another from an advert on Pistonheads. I got back what it owed me, and had the fun of it all the way to le-man and back and a few weeks before and after so not so bad.. Cracking car in every respect and have had a few cars over the years to bench mark against it.

Away from Scoobs and JAP stuff I always used to go for BMW if I was in German mode. But Audi all the way for me now, they just stand the test of time much better and over engineered more than BMW IMO.

Got myself a girly MK1 TT 225 remaped coupe at the moment and loving it. But much the same as the S4, I can't help to want to move on again and scratch another itch.
Old 02 September 2009, 06:21 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your info lads,

been doing alot of research on this, and the one im looking at has had the cambelt and water pump changed as well as having the newer rs4 (b7) brakes front and rear as well as H&R springs all round. been serviced at no expense spared and only runing a mild 420bhp. Speaking to MRC tuning, They have reassured me that there is still more init if i decide to get it.
Lets hope things go the right way

I wont lie, i want something fast, but something practical as well and this seems to be it.
ive also considered the B5 s4 saloon. there was one on PH with 500bhp/500torque.....and that has had crazy money spent on it and its going for the same price as a standard Rs4...however the only thing that puts me off is the resale value (obviously an RS4 will hold greater value)

check out this vid
http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_...0&color=00adef
and
http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_...0&color=00adef
Old 02 September 2009, 06:52 PM
G-string
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Video as requested

YouTube - BMW M5 vs Audi RS4 Russia

Banny

Cant believe they didnt hit anything
Old 02 September 2009, 09:05 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

absolute c**ks, but how fast is that!!!!!
Old 03 September 2009, 12:44 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Juice

I wont lie, i want something fast, but something practical as well and this seems to be it.
ive also considered the B5 s4 saloon. there was one on PH with 500bhp/500torque.....and that has had crazy money spent on it and its going for the same price as a standard Rs4...however the only thing that puts me off is the resale value (obviously an RS4 will hold greater value)

Stick the the RS4 mate. As great and my tuned S4 was, I couldn't help but always think I should have paid the extra and just got a RS4. The RS4 has a fair amount of bodywork mods which makes it look just a little bit special . If I had pushed the budget and got an RS4 I would probably still have it today.
Old 03 September 2009, 03:09 PM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

I had a 04 plate RS4 estate infront of me on our local NSL road last week....

I'm only running 319 bhp but I was stuck to him up to around 80-90 when we both backed off. I knew he was giving it beans, I could see him grinning, and it sounded gorgeous at full chat.

Reason for my post...... I was amazed how well my old girl faired! I expected to be blown to bits, I mean, look at the difference in power and torque!
Old 03 September 2009, 11:36 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Julio Jordio
I had a 04 plate RS4 estate infront of me on our local NSL road last week....

I'm only running 319 bhp but I was stuck to him up to around 80-90 when we both backed off. I knew he was giving it beans, I could see him grinning, and it sounded gorgeous at full chat.

Reason for my post...... I was amazed how well my old girl faired! I expected to be blown to bits, I mean, look at the difference in power and torque!
you did well keeping up with the 04 plate RS4 ....try the same thing with the older model and see the difference
Old 07 September 2009, 05:53 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

wow very fast. But crazy driving..
Old 08 September 2009, 06:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I had an S4 with light mods - great car. The RS4 is even more of a monster. There was talk that the S4 when modded to RS levels was actually a more potent car (flamesuit on )

However, all I would say is that with the S/RS4 range, I hope you've got deep pockets, as when something goes wrong, it is very expensive. If 1 turbo goes, you've got to replace both. The brakes are a tad pricey too.....

I sold mine to go back to something much smaller with a view to going to a B7 RS4 in the next couple of years. Did I enjoy my time with the Audi? Yes, but it was quite boring. Great car, but a bit too mature !! LOL!!

Either way, enjoy it

Dan
Old 01 October 2009, 11:35 AM
Juice
Scooby Regular

Resurecting the thread - Ive finally got 1!!

and man is it fast, brutaly fast. just wants to keep on going and then the road starts to end

well built and not that heavy as thought out to be. i was in the car with another passenger and the owner and when he was driving i was pushed into my seat holding on for my life when he took us on a test drive. (i did ask him to drive how it was meant to be driven) - for an old chap he could drive

hopefully MSOC will see it at the next meet.

see ya then!
Old 01 October 2009, 01:29 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

What one did you go for in the end + pics!

TX.
Old 01 October 2009, 04:43 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Congrats - now take it to MRC for a tune-up

Quick Reply: Audi RS4 B5 (2000 - 2001) - 2.7 v6 biturbo