Wortec 630bhp VXR8 - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2009, 04:33 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wortec 630bhp VXR8 - opinions?

Guys,

Posted this on MLR too. Been a while since I posted on here, but interested in your feedback and opinion on my dilemma...

After being in the Jap scene for 10 years and owning 2 x Evo VI's, a P1 and tuned Legnum I am having trouble deciding on my next move.

Obviously I love driving and there's nothing better for me than a section of challenging windy road. Unfortunately, the majority of driving I do means that I don't see those types of roads as much as I would like. This brings me to my problem.

On the right road, there is no car that I'd rather be driving than an Evo and I have often thought that a well sorted IX would be my next car. At the same time, as most of my driving isn't along one of those said roads, but rather in town or a dull A-road or motorway, the Evo suddenly isn't perhaps the best car to be in. It doesn't sound particularly great and isn't much of a long distance car, both in terms of delivery, space, comfort or range. Plus, despite all its incredible A-B ability it lacks something: character.

So I've been considering my options. I want something different, that feels special and exciting that doesn't blend in with the usual bland BM or Audi offering. It needs to be practical, have adequate room for 4 and be individual. To be honest I've struggled to find ANYTHING that fits the bill, until I saw the 630bhp supercharged Wortec VXR8 (Holden Clubsport R8 rebadged).

From what I can see, this seems to fit the bill, but I wanted people's opinions. Has anyone driven one? Has anyone made the leap from an Evo or considered one? Will I get bored of it in 5 mins after the novelty of a 6.2L V8 wears off?

Here's a pic of one if you're not familiar with it:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0202_large.jpg

Would really be interested in opinions or experiences. Please, no badge snobbery related comments - it's not important.

Cheers,

Mart.
Old 09 July 2009, 09:02 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

That is cool...cost
Old 09 July 2009, 09:28 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

That looks so damn cool. Good luck!

Been looking at a Monaro myself for a while now. The time to buy is getting closer I feel.
Old 09 July 2009, 09:59 PM
warrtster
Scooby Regular

Wortec...
Old 09 July 2009, 10:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm being unfair, but an Evo's chassis cross country is very difficult to follow without being disappointed. Monaros/VXR8 etc don't seem to set the track times you'd expect from their power or power to weight, never mind making safe progress in the real world? Wouldn't it feel like you were wasting all that power smoking the tyres and going sideways, or alternatively deploying a fraction of the power and watching a traction control light flashing all the time? In good conditions, a powerful RWD car can be seductive.

Last edited by john banks; 09 July 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09 July 2009, 10:35 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean John, hence my trepidation.

I am seduced by the chunky 'muscle car' looks, combined with the sound of the 6L V8 mixed with the 'charger whine, plus the practicality and comfort. But I'm afraid that after the Evo/P1 I'll quickly be unsatisfied with the real world ability of the car. The reviews say that the handling is very deceiving and tidy for such a big/heavy car and not far off an M5, which is promising, so maybe it's a fair compromise?

Ideally I'd have a GTR which seems to be the best all rounder, but it's 20k over budget sadly!

With 30K-ish in my pocket, I cant see anything that's reasonably new that offers the same balance of specialness, uniqueness, power and practicality?? M3/RS4 is too common, dull and ordinary, I don't want a 911 as they're too flashy and not very practical (and a nightmare if they go wrong), and there's nothing else?

Has anyone owned/drive one? Heeeeeeelllp!

Mart.

Last edited by Martin J Stirling; 09 July 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09 July 2009, 11:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evo X with manual gearbox and some light tuning to 400 BHP?

E60 M5 is nice, try one if you haven't, forget the image. They don't have proper suspension travel or brakes, but other than that they are ace.

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2009, 11:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Coming from a Monaro with a modest 400bhp, all I can say is make sure its fitted with rear tyres that work in the damp and cold! (Pirelli Rossos most certainly do not). Or stick to dry only use.

I'm sure the novelty of wheelspinning in 4th gear will wear off when one day it does decide to bite back. If they haven't improved the traction control since the Monaro, I can assure it will light up the rears well before it decides to reign in any power. Therefore treat it with respect - more so than any M-car or 911.

That engine in n/a form is a marvel. Remapped to sort out the fly-by-wire throttle makes it perfect. Supercharged? Well, I can only dream of that.

Still, if handling is anything to go on from driving a Monaro, it is M5 class (with less understeer) and damn good on potholed roads too. Not sure if a Wortech with the stiffened suspension is the same though, so that may ruin its ability to soak up the bumps on detriorated roads.

Size is the issue though; its huge, it dwarfs a E60 BMW. Which can make it a royal pain to use round town.