Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mazda MX5

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2009, 04:19 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda MX5

I know this has been done to death but I have a couple of fairly specific questions

My wife owned a Mk3 MX5 launch edition car which whilst it looked great, was a bit of a dog. We needed to get a replacement gearbox, new allows etc on a car less than 1 year old. Shame really as I wanted to like the car.

I'm now flirting with getting a Mk1 purely as a weekend car.

So 2 questions:

Budget is circa 2k - can't really justify spending much more given it is purely a weekend car (and my wife is not too keen given her and the new born can't both come along!)......am I dreaming or will I get a half decent one for that? I've looked around and some look ok but in reality will they be any good?

I have a company car and have done so for 2+ years. My NCD has as a result lapsed (I had 10+ years). I know some insurers offer NCD off the back of company car use but most that I have seen state that this is for when you get rid of the company car (I want to keep mine). Any one know how I can use my previous NCD or that built up during my time with the Ccar? Insurance is too high without it.

Cheers
Old 29 June 2009, 06:07 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

i currently have a mk1 its a p reg without power steering and electric windows its very hard to manouvere the car at low speeds much harder than any other non pas car ive owned before.
ive had a j plate power steering and electric windows version before and i think is so much more chuckable and controlable.
i think if you get a eunos they come with alot of equipment.
driving one the gearchange is precise and rifle bolt like and is a joy!
steering on the pas model is just right.
handling is very good!
cons ppl will say its a hairdressers car they probably havent driven one people who have driven one rate them!
check the condition of the hood for tears and the plastic back window as they crack and go brittle if window is in good nick and has good visibility then roof hads been changed which is good!
they are actually a very fun car to drive! the 1.6 up to 94 has the 115bhp engine thats the one to go for the 1.8 which came out in 94 has 130bhp but isnt any faster accelerating or better top speed that is noticeable but it does have better brakes but i would stick with the 1.6..........after 94 the 1.6 got detuned.to make a bigger difference between the 1.8 and emissions and stuff like that etc.you wont be disapointed!
Old 29 June 2009, 06:11 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

oh yea the slogan used by mazda when selling the mx-5 is Jinba ittai
which translates as rider and horse as one i can tell you that it describes the car down to a tee you feel as though you know exactly what the car is doing underneath and around you!!
it has a real 50/50 weight ratio front to back!!!!
i bought mine for £500 notes and i reckoned it was bettter and more fun to drive and more reliable than a porsche boxster s costing 23k
in the mx5 i could find the limits in the porsche it was numb not very good feedback but iam just an average joe!
Old 29 June 2009, 06:23 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply delcbr - very useful info

I was looking for a 1.6 Eunos around 91-93 so sounds like i'm looking in the right area - not sure if my budget stacks up but I guess I will need to go view a few.

Still need to sort the insurance - it's over 500 quid if I can't use any NCB!
Old 29 June 2009, 06:40 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

eunos have good equipment such as power steering electric windows headrest speakers which are hidden away lol and other stuff i cant think off lol
when you go to look at the car give the front wings a tap with your knuckle make sure they both sound the same as i think they are aluminium and the bonnet should be very light to lift up like a feather as its aluminium too a magnet would tell you if itsmild steel or aluminium which can tell you if any off the panels have been changed on the front of the car......i never checked just my advice for you lol
and also check the chassis rails underneath make sure they arent crumpled or dented etc as this is major structural point which distorts upon impact.
chassis rails are long square section that run the length of the car underneath on the floorpan.i would go eunos but they aint undercoated from the factory but hopefully will be sound.