Tuning a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2009, 07:43 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning a diesel

I have no idea on Diesels so forgive the stupid questions LOL

Can they be tuned (not talking major mods) but do they benefit from bits of tuning like Petrol engines, ie breathing mods, exhaust mods etc

Do they have Cat's ? or is that just petrol

Reason I ask is im getting a 3.2 Turbo Diesel in the next few weeks, and it has a turbo timer fitted (a blitz one at that) the garage is certain it hasnt had any mods done so to speak, but just wondered if there are things you can do

If I change the exhaust what kind of sound would it make (I guess just noisier) and would it help with the gas flow as it would potentially be less restrictive

What about things like Cone filters etc (like K & N, Blitz etc) do they offer any benefit

There is no intercooler on the one I am getting (this model doesnt have them as standard)

The engine I believe is a Nissan QD32

Cheers
Old 22 April 2009, 09:51 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Hi Sonic an intercooler ( preferably front mounted if enough room ) and say a 2.5 inch or 3 inch straight through system wiill give best results.They can sound nice & throaty and can be custom made too, maybe a side exit system will suit you sir ?.My dad has fitted a k&n to his Landcruiser, so will have to have a look to see if it allowed more or less dirt through.With an intercooler & exhaust system fitted the engine temp will drop ( by how much i don't know ) and i reckon you will notice the difference due to some of the cold weather we have here, so you could turn the fuel and the boost up a bit maybe & the exhaust system and filter will allow the engine to breathe easier.Although the tuning bit in the latter sentence may only apply to basic diesel engines.

HTH

Nathan.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 23 April 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 22 April 2009, 09:56 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

If you buy all the filters you probably would feel the difference, again by how much i don't know.
Old 23 April 2009, 01:21 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I have no idea on Diesels so forgive the stupid questions LOL

Can they be tuned (not talking major mods) but do they benefit from bits of tuning like Petrol engines, ie breathing mods, exhaust mods etc

Do they have Cat's ? or is that just petrol

Reason I ask is im getting a 3.2 Turbo Diesel in the next few weeks, and it has a turbo timer fitted (a blitz one at that) the garage is certain it hasnt had any mods done so to speak, but just wondered if there are things you can do

If I change the exhaust what kind of sound would it make (I guess just noisier) and would it help with the gas flow as it would potentially be less restrictive

What about things like Cone filters etc (like K & N, Blitz etc) do they offer any benefit

There is no intercooler on the one I am getting (this model doesnt have them as standard)

The engine I believe is a Nissan QD32

Cheers
Intercooler of some description would be a very good idea.
Hot intake air limits the amount of fuel before it starts to smoke. The ECU will reduce fuelling as the intake temp rises, mostly to limit smoke.

Other than that.... How's the air inlet duct? Is it a cold air intake or stuffed in a corner somewhere?

J.
Old 23 April 2009, 09:55 AM
evil_scoobs
Scooby Regular

I bought a new K&N air filter and felt no difference.
Exhausts and downpipes make it sound a little better and rev freely but rarely make much of a difference.
I went for a tuning box for my Astra SRI diesel and it took it from 150bhp to 200bhp and 290lb/ft torque.
Remap / Tuning box is the way to go at first if your car supports it.
Old 23 April 2009, 06:29 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Its I think 150bhp and 250 lbs/ft torque

It is a cold air intake I believe with a resonator box stuffed in the corner

Here is a pic