Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Views on the 2003 onwards Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2009, 08:53 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Views on the 2003 onwards Audi S4

Yep, the one with the 4.2 V8. Fancy some big cubes and street sleeper looks. I love the look and sound of them and I've had enough of driving a boring car. Those that know about them and have owned one, I have a few questions.

1) Whats the servicing costs like?

2) Any known problems to look out for when viewing?

3) Whats the boot capacity and do the rear seats fold down?

4) What's the tiptronic system like or should I look for a regular manual?

Cheers
Old 21 April 2009, 09:01 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Prodriva - all good "up north?!"

A mate had one just after his R32 (we both had an R32 at the same time). He quite liked it but found it rather heavy and dull on the twisties. Great straight line performance though but very thirsty.
He now has an MTM supercharged RS4...!

I'd look out for a mint older M5 or similar.
Old 21 April 2009, 09:13 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Prodriva - all good "up north?!"

A mate had one just after his R32 (we both had an R32 at the same time). He quite liked it but found it rather heavy and dull on the twisties. Great straight line performance though but very thirsty.
He now has an MTM supercharged RS4...!

I'd look out for a mint older M5 or similar.
Morning mate. It's nice and sunny up here and the bikes getting used loads. Almost run-in now.

I contemplated an R32 but a good mate of mine has one so don't want to be the same. Not too fussed about twisties performance. Been there done that. Fancy some out and out grunt, something to complement the bike. It's all about torque for me lol. M5's are lovely but too big (overall size wise) for my liking. Audi A4/S4 is about as big as I'd want to go.

Oh, and I'd go petrol re your thread Diesel is only going to get more and more expensive with the government raking in the revenue on it.
Old 21 April 2009, 09:32 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriva

Cheers
Do a search on here for recent posts from Hoppy
Interesting stuff.
Old 21 April 2009, 09:34 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Well for straight line grunt, I reckon a V8 S4 is a good buy!

Just never rated "performance" Audis for handling (apart from the latest S3, RS4 and the R8) since the days of the old uR Quatttros.

Or you could get a V10 TDi Touraeg - monster torque!
Old 21 April 2009, 09:38 AM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

If you're trying to avoid a 'boring' car, I don't think the S4 will satisfy you. Lovely engine, but just not involving.
Old 21 April 2009, 09:44 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Having driven a few Focus' and a few A4s, I'd honestly say the Focus is more fun to drive.

Trending Topics

Old 21 April 2009, 10:53 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Don't say the 'F' word please. I drive one of the bloody things at the moment allbeit in 2.0 Zetec format (yawn). The new ST is nice but the looks are too boy-racer Halfords special for my liking. I want something classy, understated but with loads of power Not interested in BMW's at all.
Old 21 April 2009, 03:27 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Originally Posted by prodriva
Yep, the one with the 4.2 V8. Fancy some big cubes and street sleeper looks. I love the look and sound of them and I've had enough of driving a boring car. Those that know about them and have owned one, I have a few questions.

Cheers
I bought a V8 S4 Tip a few months ago and absolutely love it. I can bore for England on this now. Fab motor, sounds wonderful, lovely interior, comfortable, 4WD, Tip box is great (don't judge until you've driven one), absolutely mighty license-losing crusing ability, sticks well if you hussle it, fine brakes, faster than an E46 M3 round the Top Gear track, stealth looks, very good value these days. Standard stereo is good - I just wired up an active sub and the sound is better than the £2k's worth of ICE in the Scoob!

On the downside, 20-23mpg, wooden over-geared steering, heavy, and nose heavy, faster than most things on the road but nothing like my modded Scoob (which has similar power, more torque, less weight), Tips only rev to 6,750rpm (not 7k red line) for reliability reasons, but you can get that changed for £400 (and another £400 gets you an extra 20bhp/lbs ft). Getting more real power is very expensive; the earlier V6 turbo is much better for that, or the RS4 which is a more focused car all round.

"1) Whats the servicing costs like?"

Don't know. Regular servicing pretty cheap I think, but it doesn't need servicing often. I was expecting it to eat tyres and brakes but after 5k mostly heavy miles they are holding up well. Main cost for me is fuel. By far.

"2) Any known problems to look out for when viewing?"
No. All tried and tested components.

"3) Whats the boot capacity and do the rear seats fold down?"
Colossal. Got the shopping and some apples rolled out - I couldn't reach them! Seats fold - feel the weight when you do; Jeez they're heavy.

"4) What's the tiptronic system like or should I look for a regular manual?"
It's great. Not quite as fast or seamless as the brilliant dual clutch DSG box, but far, far better than I expected any slushbox to be. I'm never getting another manual. I leave it in Drive, but just override it with the paddles when I know it won't pick up the next gear I want. Like going into a corner or roundabout, flick it down 5, 4, 3, and sail away. Knock it into 2nd, smoother than even the best heeler n toer ever could, and nail it. Marvellous tyre-squealing fun Advantages of the manual are that it will rev to the limiter at 7,200, and if you get a later face-lift car the 4WD system is 40/60 rather than 50/50. But I think you can get much the same effect with the stiffer ARB from the RS4, which will be one of my mods sometime.

S4 is not a sports car. It's more of a fast limo, but an extremely accomplished one. When I get in the Scoob, it feels quite a bit faster and nimble, but very crude and unsophisticated. I like the S4 because it is fast, comfortable, V8 4WD, discreet but classy. Don't like the mpg

Hello Hank

Edit: I chose the S4 after a long search. It's a face-lift 05 and in the end it won out against an E46 M3 SMG, and a 996 911C4 Tip.

Last edited by Hoppy; 21 April 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 21 April 2009, 10:01 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
If you're trying to avoid a 'boring' car, I don't think the S4 will satisfy you. Lovely engine, but just not involving.

Agree with that.

My mate had one last year and was totally dull, felt slow too.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:15 AM
Scooby Senior

Why do you not want a BMW?

We've just bought a 53 plate E60 545i. it's a cracking car with loads of grunt, excellent fuel economy for a 4.4 v8 too! My better half went from Manchester to London on half a tank which works out well over 30mpg.

I'd seriously recommend a test drive in one, I think you'd be hard pushed for somthing with better VFM!
Old 22 April 2009, 10:25 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

And on that note, I tested a 750i not long ago (for the Independent) and this was also a cracking car - obviously too big but think they do a 550i or similar? Lovely engine though and I'd say quicker than an S4 with proper handling.
Old 22 April 2009, 10:30 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Agree with that.

My mate had one last year and was totally dull, felt slow too.
But there's a difference between Ford 2ltr boring and Audi 4.2ltr boring
Old 22 April 2009, 11:59 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Honestly pro, the Focus is a more fun drive than the S4 overall! Much more nimble, much lighter, much more feedback. The ST170 I tested is still probably the best handling FWD car I have ever driven.

If you want a big engine (as many do) I'd honestly look at BMW (even though you hate them), Mercedes (E43 is quick and has an 8 pot) or a Vauxhall Monaro or similar.

But if you want a well made straight line semi luxobarge that sounds good, pulls well but doesn't steer too well, get an S4. My mate than had one sold his very quickly and was genuinely quite disappointed.
Old 22 April 2009, 12:03 PM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

I drove an 03 plate manual (when the car was actually only 6 months old) and it felt really solid. So much is the torque that you could actually drive it using only 2nd and 6th.

I know everyone states that's it's not an involving drive, well maybe I'm easy pleased, but I thought it felt really sure footed and quite direct, and that was on a B road too. Ok, I wasn't giving it full chat in the corners as the car wasn't mine, but how fast do you have to be going into corners before the "un-involving" bit kicks in? (nose heavy understeer?)

As the car beat the M3 by almost a second on the TG track, it must be reasonably accomplished in the handling stakes as it has all but the same power as the M3? Can the 4wd on a dry track really make up that difference?
Old 22 April 2009, 02:14 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobberdoo
I drove an 03 plate manual (when the car was actually only 6 months old) and it felt really solid. So much is the torque that you could actually drive it using only 2nd and 6th.

I know everyone states that's it's not an involving drive, well maybe I'm easy pleased, but I thought it felt really sure footed and quite direct, and that was on a B road too. Ok, I wasn't giving it full chat in the corners as the car wasn't mine, but how fast do you have to be going into corners before the "un-involving" bit kicks in? (nose heavy understeer?)

As the car beat the M3 by almost a second on the TG track, it must be reasonably accomplished in the handling stakes as it has all but the same power as the M3? Can the 4wd on a dry track really make up that difference?
So true. The S4 is just a different set of compromises. There no way you can call 340bhp boring, or that V8 boring, and I since I spend the vast majority of my time at the wheel stuck in trafiic just getting places, like most people, I decided to shift my priorities.

S4 has more power and torque than an M3, by a small amount, but I think it's mainly the 4WD grip that beat the M3 on Top Gear. Anyone that thinks RWD is the way to go, there are plenty of folks on here will tell you that is very much a double-edged sword when the engine is at the front.

My S4 would be pretty much perfect is the steering was sorted; it is a bit, yes, uninvolving. And I guess the sad truth is that Audi deliberately made it that way. What the car needs is less weight over the nose with the engine shifted back a bit, alloy panels on the bonnet and wings, a sharper rack, stiffer ARB and 40/60 torque split. That'll be the RS4 then (but manual only).

I think the new S4 might well have all these things sorted too, but I've not seen one yet, let alone driven one. Lighter V6 with much better economy but a bit more poke, plus the DSG gearbox option. Very nice
Old 22 April 2009, 02:42 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Hoppy, I think we are in the minority here My priorities have also changed in recent years and so far the S4 ticks the boxes on my list. 95% of my driving is in regular day-to-day traffic so high speeds and spot-on handling are not essential for me. A speed fix and brilliant handling can be achieved by firing up my KTM! What I do want from a car is comfort, torque, excellent build quality, reasonable resale values in years to come (I tend to keep my cars for a long time, 8 years for the Renault Valver before the current Ford!). Not too worried about mpg. One of my big requirements is something that looks classy and will do over the next few years. BMW's may well be good cars but I just have no interest in them whatsoever.
Old 22 April 2009, 03:29 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Pro - nothing to do the the drivers/owners by any chance is it (BMW)?!
Old 22 April 2009, 03:33 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

I've wanted a 03-05 Black S4 Avant for a while now, there was a lovely one for sale last week on A.T for 14k with a 400bhp remap and Titanium colour alloys, but my head has been totally turned by the E90 (06+) BMW 330d (Le Mans blue, cream leather, Pro-Sat), newer, better spec, better drive, loads of torque and better economy but no engine note.

I also think the 05-08 shape S4 is nicer to look at, better front grill and 4 exhaust tail pipes as standard.
Old 22 April 2009, 03:41 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Matt, mostly.........YES
Old 22 April 2009, 03:46 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

This would be perfect except for the colour!
Auto Trader UK - AUDI S4 Quattro
Old 22 April 2009, 04:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Hmm - red doesn't go well on an Audi.
You want black, that bright blue, possibly yellow (!) or dark grey.
Old 22 April 2009, 04:23 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Dark grey is number 1 choice then black and lastly silver. Couldn't live with yellow or blue, too in your face for my liking. Can't believe the number of convertible and avant S4's there are for sale. Seems the saloon S4 is few and far between.
Old 22 April 2009, 04:33 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

S4 Avant is quite cool though...
Old 22 April 2009, 04:43 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

As an estate, probably the best looking out there.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:59 PM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

I currently own an S4 Avant manual in Dolphin Grey which I have had just over a year. I don't think I could ever get bored of hearing the V8 which is the heart and soul of this car and mine is currently wearing a full Milltek system and sounds like this:

YouTube - Audi S4 4.2 V8 B6 with Milltek Sport exhaust

Petrol is crap, especially when you like to hear the V8. Though you can get 24-25mpg on a relaxed run which I don't think is bad for a 4.2 V8 car weighing 1700 + kilos.

As mentioned it isn't the most rewarding car to drive fast for driver involvement, yet you have enough grunt to not be troubled by most cars on the road, especially since mine now breathes easier with the Milltek.

I have never had anything go wrong with mine and tyres are perfectly reasonably priced, apart from wearing quick on the front with the heavy V8 up front. I haven't had mine serviced yet either, but generally very little goes wrong with these cars and there are no DRC issues to worry about.

As you originally mentioned this car is a sleeper and doesn't have boy racer written all over it, yet can look similar to other A4's from a distance which can also be a downside to the untrained eye. Yet I have had loads and loads of positive comments over it and never gets negative reactions.

Finally it is a very nice place to be with the comfy electric recaros and bose sound system. Plus the build quality is amazing compared to the Subaru's, Type R's etc I have had in the past.

Cheers,
Ant
Old 22 April 2009, 08:57 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

the s4 is cool, go buy the new one its in a diffrent league. the old one is good but the new one is somthing else driving wise.
Old 22 April 2009, 10:22 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

All I would say is drive a few cars, and then make a judgement. Most of us have to draw up a shortlist from reviews and other stuff we hear, but make sure you drive several before you decide.

I drew up a shortlist and the S4 wasn't really in the running at first. Then I drove an E46 M3 which was top of my list. It seemed to tick pretty much all the boxes, but it was gutless in the mid range. Non starter. The performance icon was lost on me.

Then the 911 C4. I couldn't believe I could afford a Porsche, and really struggled to see the car underneath the brand. But when I did, it was not that special to drive, not particularly fast, and risky at the mileage. If it had 50% more power and Turbo on the back, then I'd have it like a shot, but that doesn't happen sub-£20k.

It was then that I saw the S4 on a Top Gear repeat on Dave, showing an M3 the way. I drove one, and that V8 is just wonderful. And it delivers. Whatever this car might appear to be on paper, or in photos, or whatever, I'm very happy actually sitting behind the wheel.

My Scoob is still outside - faster, louder, much lighter and a lot more involving. I haven't driven it for weeks.
Old 22 April 2009, 10:46 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

What about a Jaguar S Type R.Supercharged 4.2 v8 doesn't sound bad.Or an XJR with that same supercharged engine

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 22 April 2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 23 April 2009, 07:52 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Been very pleased with mine. Had it just over 18 months, black, manual, saloon on a 53 plate.
In terms of whats already been said, its a very competent car, especially for 95% of real world driving. Sure its a little heavy up front at the nose, but in reality, how often are you going to be really pushing on in the twisties?
It still drives exceptionally well, its classy and very well screwed together. Add in full leather on the recaros, DVD sat nav and you'll want for very little else.
Only other thing I've added is the Milltek, and it sounds gorgeous. As already said above, I've had numerous compliments on the car since I've had it, all really positive.
I never had that in my Scoob in over 3 years of driving it.

In answer to your questions-

Cheaper than my S3 was as it is camchain, not belt. The most expensive part of a service is the oil (9 litres) plus plugs due to there being 8 of them, but thats only every 60k.
Last service, with oil, and plugs and brake fluid at a main dealer was around £350. Make sure you ask for the 15% discount if the car is over 3 years old
I'm running AVS which is variable servicing, so I expect to get around 14k or 18 months between services.

Many suffer from noisy cam chain on start up, it should go within 2 secs. Perfectly normal.
Auxilary radiators can leak, they're 2 additional ones in the front of the corners of the bumpers. many seem to expire at around 3-4 years old. I regulary get my pressure washer in there to ensure there is no debirs, and touch wood, had no problems. If they do fail/leak, best to get them both replaced at the same time. Labour at a main dealre is £300 + £250 for the rads, so not much change from £600. Obviouslyt cheaper if you can find a good independant, of which there are many accross the country.

Yes, they do fold down The boot is big, even on the saloon, at a slight cost to rear seat passenger leg room. With a 3 yr old and a 3 month old, no comlaints, and I reckon there wont be till there around 12 years old either.

I went manual, as it took me a awhile to find any car (saloon) so would have tried either, although the driver in me would have still gone manual I reckon.

Overall, its a great car, MPG averages 16mpg on the commute, but up to 25mpg on a run.
Bank on 20mpg and you'll not be dissapointed

Hope that helps

Quick Reply: Views on the 2003 onwards Audi S4