Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

corsa vxr

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2009, 09:52 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corsa vxr

saw one today looked impressive and performance figures arent bad either with good recaro interior.looked on courtney website the main tuner for vauxhalls and some impressive gains from remaps and stage 1 mods up to 220bhp!! that must be hardcore for a little car with fwd!
Old 17 April 2009, 10:32 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

but at the end of the day it is still a Corsa..............

Not the sorta thing you are going to boast about owning down the pub regardless of whether you have got it running 220 bhp.
Old 17 April 2009, 10:43 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I'd use Thorney ahead of Courtney and they'll do ecu only to 215.
A mate of mine has had a lot of work done on his vx200t by them and it's a corker.
Old 17 April 2009, 10:50 PM
mouse555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso

Not the sorta thing you are going to boast about owning down the pub regardless of whether you have got it running 220 bhp.
Spot on.
Old 18 April 2009, 10:31 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I'd have the astra vxr but the corsa is a bit camp.
Old 18 April 2009, 10:43 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Of course that's all that matters

Would rather have a Corsa VXR than some lame engined BMW or Audi (although I like "proper" engined BMWs a lot) whatever the bragging rights may or may not be.

If it's all about bragging then your life is missing something.

You could always try racing a Vauxhall engined Westy or Caterham and see what those shallow bragging rights actually mean on a real road.
Old 18 April 2009, 10:55 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I saw one the other day (well actually heard it first) in white and it looked pretty sweet. Cracking sound with massive pops and bangs on lift off. How well it gets the power down I have no idea and its not the most practical of sizes.

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2009, 11:29 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding bragging rights for it only being a Vauxhall Corsa. Most if not all of my friends think exactly the same about Subaru Imprezas, doesn't matter what it can do, its still a cheaply made jap saloon.
Old 18 April 2009, 11:55 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I saw one the other day (well actually heard it first) in white and it looked pretty sweet. Cracking sound with massive pops and bangs on lift off. How well it gets the power down I have no idea and its not the most practical of sizes.

Simon
That would be an Arctic Edition. I think they're quite good looking/going cars, so I'd have one.
Old 18 April 2009, 12:06 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Although for me personally the bodykit is a bit heavy handed, the Corsa VXR is a stonking good car, handles great and very, very chuckable. with (for a hot hatch) a great engine, Would certainly out drag a Clio 197.

Forget the chavvy image and drive one - 'cos they are that good.
Old 18 April 2009, 03:35 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Of course that's all that matters

Would rather have a Corsa VXR than some lame engined BMW or Audi (although I like "proper" engined BMWs a lot) whatever the bragging rights may or may not be.

If it's all about bragging then your life is missing something.

You could always try racing a Vauxhall engined Westy or Caterham and see what those shallow bragging rights actually mean on a real road.

Arrange the words that follow to make a sentence......

"the end stick of got the You've wrong"

Your points above are right, christ knows how you think I was advocating the opposite. You just made a shed load of assumptions off the back of one sentence and went off at a tangent.

What I was trying to convey with the pub bit is I wouldn't go round crowing to my neighbours/friends that I own a Vauxhall Corsa even if its got 220 bhp but I'd be quite happy to slip into the conversation I owned a NSX, Evo/Scooby or Skyline etc...something thats associated with being more than just a shopping trolley car. I wouldn't be mentioning racing at all...............

I'll sum it up for you like this, £14k buys you a lot better cars imo.

Last edited by Fabioso; 18 April 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 18 April 2009, 04:04 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll sum it up for you like this, £14k buys you a lot better cars imo.
Yes, totally agree, what would you rather have - a Hawkeye STi or a Corsa VXR for the same money?
Old 18 April 2009, 04:25 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Your not gonna get a brand new sti for 14k though
Old 18 April 2009, 06:24 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
Your not gonna get a brand new sti for 14k though
I'd rather have the Corsa than the new STi.

If I was in the market for a quick hot hatch for around £14k, how about this?
Auto Trader UK - Mazda 3 2300 cc 2.3i Turbo MPS with Sports Aero Kit
I know which one I'd choose.
Old 18 April 2009, 07:13 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

When comparing cars, lets set a ground rule.

Cost vs. cost should be for either new cars or used cars! For example, It's silly to compare a £15k brand new mondeo against a 5 year old M3!

A new VXR should be compared against Clio 197's etc.

Steve
Old 18 April 2009, 07:21 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Yes and you could get an old M5 too - but many want a NEW car.

When I had the Golf R32 I never used to tell anyone it was an R32 with a 3.2 litre V6 and 260bhp unless very much pushed - that's what I liked about it - it was just a Golf.

I much prefer blowing away assumptions than sticking to lame old "badge snobbery" that I'm shocked still exists. If anyone tries to badge snob me, I usually ignore them but if pushed, I leave them questioning their ridiculous presumptions.

Let's look at a couple at one example.

Audi A3 vs Ford Focus.
Focus is as well made, handles much better and looks a lot fresher. I'd get the Focus.

I'd also get the Corsa over an old battler of an STi any day of the week.

So Fabioso, I'm afraid you have made yourself look daft - you attempted to tell me how I'd made presumptions, added a little patronisation and then added how I was wrong about my response to your comment. You then made EXACTLY THE SAME statement albeit slightly rearranged.

But you carry on bragging about an old Honda that never sold very well anyway. I'm sure everyone will be very impressed, even in the unlikely event that they actually know what an NSX is.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 18 April 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 18 April 2009, 09:04 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Yes and you could get an old M5 too - but many want a NEW car.

When I had the Golf R32 I never used to tell anyone it was an R32 with a 3.2 litre V6 and 260bhp unless very much pushed - that's what I liked about it - it was just a Golf.

I much prefer blowing away assumptions than sticking to lame old "badge snobbery" that I'm shocked still exists. If anyone tries to badge snob me, I usually ignore them but if pushed, I leave them questioning their ridiculous presumptions.

Let's look at a couple at one example.

Audi A3 vs Ford Focus.
Focus is as well made, handles much better and looks a lot fresher. I'd get the Focus.

I'd also get the Corsa over an old battler of an STi any day of the week.

So Fabioso, I'm afraid you have made yourself look daft - you attempted to tell me how I'd made presumptions, added a little patronisation and then added how I was wrong about my response to your comment. You then made EXACTLY THE SAME statement albeit slightly rearranged.

But you carry on bragging about an old Honda that never sold very well anyway. I'm sure everyone will be very impressed, even in the unlikely event that they actually know what an NSX is.
Ok lets look at what I said.....I'm wasn't bragging about one particular car you mention the Honda NSX...... I think I gave something like 4-5 different examples. From the posts I've read I think some people understood the point I was trying to make, it's pretty clear to me you didn't. Ok I'm sorry if I've upset you in some way.... I was just giving my opinion.

That's what forums are about, people giving opinions. I don't want to carry on this, so I am not prepared to discuss the detail further. I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way.

Old 18 April 2009, 09:11 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

caused a stir with my post lol
i like the vxr i think its a good looking hot hatch that ticks alot of boxes for its class.i like things that are taken to their limit its is like the whole argument would you prefer the top end model of the corsa or a ****ty astra 1.6 for the same money.
i like the under dog i had a scooter few years back that was a gilera 125 when i bought it and once i spent 3k on the engine it did the quarter pass at elvington in 13.1 @98mph but hey it was only a scooter as many people would say but it wiped the smile of a jpanese guy who had done a 14 second pass in his black evo 8 lol.oh and it was running 33bhp with 322 lb torque lol

Last edited by graeme jones; 18 April 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 18 April 2009, 09:30 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by graeme jones
caused a stir with my post lol
i like the vxr i think its a good looking hot hatch that ticks alot of boxes for its class.i like things that are taken to their limit its is like the whole argument would you prefer the top end model of the corsa or a ****ty astra 1.6 for the same money.
i like the under dog i had a scooter few years back that was a gilera 125 when i bought it and once i spent 3k on the engine it did the quarter pass at elvington in 13.1 @98mph but hey it was only a scooter as many people would say but it wiped the smile of a jpanese guy who had done a 14 second pass in his black evo 8 lol.oh and it was running 33bhp with 322 lb torque lol
U certainly did Its your view and I totally respect it. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.....I'd rather choose something older and considered in a different league because I honestly believe that buying newer and getting it to punch above its weight is not the best way forward.

I can see how the look on another driver's face could be worth the expense of being the "underdog" as you put it especially sleepers like the Aristo because they really can take some serious power.
Old 18 April 2009, 09:51 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

yeah dont get me wrong i wouldnt actually buy one as i would see that as going backwards now after owning a scoob onwards and upwards i say. you know what they say once you go jap you ont go back. lol -------not racist before anyone gets on there high horse lol
Old 18 April 2009, 10:12 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I'd buy one and I've had two Imprezas (as well as two Skodas, a Ford, an Astra and a Renualt!)

Steve
Old 18 April 2009, 11:27 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by graeme jones
it did the quarter pass at elvington in 13.1 @98mph but hey it was only a scooter
On a scooter? You must have some bollocks.

In fact, how do get on a scooter
Old 19 April 2009, 12:11 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
On a scooter? You must have some bollocks.

In fact, how do get on a scooter
yeah started the project at 18 and was in the scooter scene for about 5years had various bigger bikes too 400cc and 650cc suzuki.
It was a gilera runner with the following
172malossi kit ported and flowed
32mm carb with open filter
pm tuning high compression head
kevlar transmition belt
progressive clutch
bigger reed block
pm tuning race exhaust
malossi crank
pre mixed on v-power and 2 stroke
loads of heavy bits removed
the list went on an on
it did about 5 mile to the gallon lol but front wheel would lift up to 50 mph off the throttle got into some debt at the time and had to let it go to a lad from the south who wanted it as a road scooter bit of a mstake as it wasnt set up for the road in any way.
it also had v+m paintwork from the tt bike which was on it when i bought it from a guy who was a car/bike sprayer.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:45 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
I'd rather have the Corsa than the new STi.

If I was in the market for a quick hot hatch for around £14k, how about this?
Auto Trader UK - Mazda 3 2300 cc 2.3i Turbo MPS with Sports Aero Kit
I know which one I'd choose.

Your not gonna get a new mps for 14k though

Funny these threads that start off about cars costing circa 15k when new and it always reverts to well I'd gat a 15 year old ferrari for the same money and chip it to 1 million bhp.

I'd love a second hand m3 m5 etc. but i always say if you can't afford to buy it new, you can't afford to run it second hand.
Old 20 April 2009, 12:26 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

People always asy that about my scoob, how do you afford to run it?

Well it costs 30 quid a week in petrol, 73 a month in insurance and i budget 100 a month for small consumables like oil change or new plugs etc, thats not much for a performance car!

Ill be fcuked if it starts knocking or something big goes, but thats what loans are for!