Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Got a Bike Engined Kit Car

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2009, 04:50 PM
330dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a Bike Engined Kit Car

After years of deliberating over getting a scooby as a second car somebody mentioned bike engined kit cars. Within a week id test driven one and was sold! I decided that rather than thinking about it so much id just go and get one - which I have - and im loving it.

Im gonna get my racing licence and do some hill climbs in it and am looking forward to some track days.

I still love scoobies but these are so much suited as a second car - miles cheaper insurance and running costs, and the experience - it is so much more intense and raw, more of event going out in it.

It is ridiculously unpractical but as a second car i reckon it is pretty unbeatable.

Has anyone here got any experience of them? Any suggested track days or races?

It is a stuart taylor with a fireblade engine.

P.s. Not having a go at scoobies - id still bite your arm off for one - but think theyre more suited to your main / only car - not as a second car as i used to want.

Cheers. Dan
Old 16 April 2009, 05:00 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Well done on your recent purchase Dan. I too also have a Locoblade (919 engine) and I've only had it back on the road again recently (we won't talk about the Bank Holiday Monday trip as this ended up with the AA being called out and me being towed home! ). What blade engine do you have in yours?

I got mine for similar reasons to yourself and will be booking my first track day in it soon (after I've been to PDQ in Taplow to get the engine set up correctly). I'm not sure if I will go down the hill climb route tbh, but I guess time will tell!

If you aren't on there already, get yourself over to Locost Builders.
Old 16 April 2009, 05:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i have a Tiger Cat as a third car, and its a brilliant bit of fun

my insurance has is just up for renewal £225.00 (5k mileage a year), sails thru an MOT every year (so light doesn't wear anything out) and only TAX it in the summer months
Old 16 April 2009, 06:10 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

So tempted to sell the Noble, build a nice double garage and build one myself. but then i drive the noble and think it would be a year before i got to drive it if building. so keep the noble. until next time i think f it again.
Old 16 April 2009, 06:52 PM
330dan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott W
Well done on your recent purchase Dan. I too also have a Locoblade (919 engine) and I've only had it back on the road again recently (we won't talk about the Bank Holiday Monday trip as this ended up with the AA being called out and me being towed home! ). What blade engine do you have in yours?

I got mine for similar reasons to yourself and will be booking my first track day in it soon (after I've been to PDQ in Taplow to get the engine set up correctly). I'm not sure if I will go down the hill climb route tbh, but I guess time will tell!

If you aren't on there already, get yourself over to Locost Builders.

Not been to that forum yet, ill check it out. To be honest most other car forums seem pretty quiet - i knew i'd get a reply on here soon enough!

the engine is a 919cc CBR 900RR - V which is 128bhp.

Why did you breakdown?

They are awesome arent they?!?!? When they hit about 6k rpm they just go crazy! Do they have cams like the Honda car engines which causes such a distinct change at around this point?!?!?
Old 16 April 2009, 07:20 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

We had to call the AA out as our FIA Kill Switch packed up on us whilst we were sat at some traffic lights. Unfortunately for us we (and the AA guy) were not able to bypass it on the side of the road. The AA guy said that it's very rare for these things to fail and we will be buying a replacement one in the next couple of days.

That's the same engine as mine but ours isn't running smooth yet so I cannot comment on the 6k bit as this is where we seem to have a huge flatspot and hence the visit to PDQ.

As for them being awesome - absolutely! Ours has got a mechanical reverse gearbox which is been a PITA and once we get some spare money we'll bin that for possibly an electric reverse or we might just do w/out as you can push these cars with one finger almost! . Other than that I'm enjoying every minute of driving it!
Old 17 April 2009, 04:03 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

got any pics?

Trending Topics

Old 17 April 2009, 08:07 AM
330dan
Scooby Regular

yeah ill get some up this weekend.