Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Vauxhall Monaro

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2009, 10:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vauxhall Monaro

Thought these were quick, had a little go with one tonight and it couldn't pull away, I backed off as the drive of the Monaro was prepared to undertake other cars at 100 mph, disappointing as usually owners of such cars respect other road users regardless of their right hand lane tendencies. It said VXR on the back but I cant imagine it was if I was keeping up, sounded cool though.
Old 14 April 2009, 10:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you in the SAAB? I'm surprised he wasn't getting away. The 5.7 VXR puts ot around 380bhp and shed loads of torque and the 6.0 VXR is 400-ish. They are tall geared though so it might not have been able to seriously pull away until over 100.

I'm seriously considering one of these as my next money pit after I kill the GTR.
Old 14 April 2009, 10:21 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Were you in the SAAB? I'm surprised he wasn't getting away. The 5.7 VXR puts ot around 380bhp and shed loads of torque and the 6.0 VXR is 400-ish. They are tall geared though so it might not have been able to seriously pull away until over 100.

I'm seriously considering one of these as my next money pit after I kill the GTR.
How about this?

Auto Trader Dealer Pages - Bryants Garage

600bhp at the wheels.....
Old 14 April 2009, 10:38 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

There's "money pit" and there's "setting fire to £19k in cash"

I was thinking more like this:

YouTube - 2005 GTO 6.0L LS2 Mega Death Cam - No Music

Aggressive idle, nice and loud and no whiny supercharger.
Old 15 April 2009, 11:41 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ones driven by **** don't last long: Quite a few can be found as cat C and D salvage. Not helped by the choice of factory tyres not being suited to damp roads below 10degrees celcius (Pirelli Pzero Rossos).

The 6.0 needs thrashing to 6500rpm to get the best out of it. It does go past 7000rpm but there is no torque up there so banging it to the redline is pointless (unless its has a mildly uprated cam and rockers/valve springs, which reportedly are good for another 90bhp and torque increase across the whole board - but doesn't f**k up the idle or fuel consumption too much ).

Heavy car though, and traction issues in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, so a basic classic Scoob will match it up to 90-100mph. Past that and it keep goin and going and going..its just doesn't run out of steam.

However 6.0 VXR is one that seemingly is impossible to understeer on roundabouts. A refreshing change from most other understeering cars. If not to keep you on your toes because it is somewhat tail happy regardless of the traction control settings (no esp/dsc). Also has comfy ride quality which is appreciated on bumpy roads.

Brakes struggle with hard use though - the CV8 is reportedly even worse

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 April 2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: 90bhp - was a tad pessimistic ;)
Old 15 April 2009, 11:59 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Thought these were quick, had a little go with one tonight and it couldn't pull away, I backed off as the drive of the Monaro was prepared to undertake other cars at 100 mph, disappointing as usually owners of such cars respect other road users regardless of their right hand lane tendencies. It said VXR on the back but I cant imagine it was if I was keeping up, sounded cool though.
For the power, they're not that quick.

Remember Evo had a 550BHP version that they took to Germany to see just how quick it was.

It couldn't get away from the RS4 (414BHP) they took as chase/compare car.
Old 15 April 2009, 12:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
For the power, they're not that quick.

Remember Evo had a 550BHP version that they took to Germany to see just how quick it was.

It couldn't get away from the RS4 (414BHP) they took as chase/compare car.
Yeah but my Saab is 247 bhp and 288 lbs ft (Tuners figures so dont know how accurate) I was surprised I kept up at all so he either wasnt giving it full boot or they arent all that quick, perhaps as been said it needs more than 100 mph to start stretching its legs, I wasnt prepared to undertake other cars and drive like a tit to continue, not prepared to take my brain our or hurt anyone, I think enthusiasts can do a sensible side by side comparison on a clear dual carriageway but when one participant gets silly its time to stop, I think he was perhaps irked by the fact I kept up so had to use other methods to pull away.

Beleive me when I say I am not my Saabs biggest fan, I am under no illusions or delusions about it, i do however like to see other cars getting used so I can base my next purchase on whether I get a pasting, funnliy enough the only thing that has pulled any distance on me was a green classic wagon.

Trending Topics

Old 15 April 2009, 04:30 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Hey J4CKO - I got my 9k Aero dynoed- we got 402whp (448crank) and 470ft lbs. It's pretty rapid now...

Haven't come across any Monaro's yet though.... but will report back if I have an encounter.
Old 15 April 2009, 10:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skinters
Hey J4CKO - I got my 9k Aero dynoed- we got 402whp (448crank) and 470ft lbs. It's pretty rapid now...

Haven't come across any Monaro's yet though.... but will report back if I have an encounter.
Good god that must be alarming through the front wheels, in fact through any given set !
Old 15 April 2009, 11:10 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough in 3rd gear up there is zero torque steer (can let go of steering wheel if I dare) and no wheelspin - I've mapped it nice and smooth and the 9k is pretty well planted. 2nd gear is boost limited.

Still no RWD Monaro but fun in a scary sort of way. At least I get 32mpg.
Old 15 April 2009, 11:31 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Yeah but my Saab is 247 bhp and 288 lbs ft (Tuners figures so dont know how accurate) I was surprised I kept up at all so he either wasnt giving it full boot or they arent all that quick, perhaps as been said it needs more than 100 mph to start stretching its legs, I wasnt prepared to undertake other cars and drive like a tit to continue, not prepared to take my brain our or hurt anyone, I think enthusiasts can do a sensible side by side comparison on a clear dual carriageway but when one participant gets silly its time to stop, I think he was perhaps irked by the fact I kept up so had to use other methods to pull away.

Beleive me when I say I am not my Saabs biggest fan, I am under no illusions or delusions about it, i do however like to see other cars getting used so I can base my next purchase on whether I get a pasting, funnliy enough the only thing that has pulled any distance on me was a green classic wagon.
Thing is, your SAAB probably weighs a good 200kgs less than the Monaro and you need a BIG difference in Power:Weight once rolling to make any real difference between say 60 - 100 mph or even 40 - 100. If you were on a private track (or the bit of the M56 between the M6 and Alty in the depths of night) once over 100 you'd see him start to make some ground.
Old 16 April 2009, 12:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Rev, that sounds about right.
Old 16 April 2009, 02:30 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

getting a bit sad..

Monaro - 380bhp 1677kg = 226bhp / tonne
Saab - 247bhp 1400kg = 176bhp / tonne

Saab will have a fair bit less transmission loss but Monaro should have a big edge tbh. Although shorter gearing can make a huge difference.
Old 16 April 2009, 05:38 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skinters
getting a bit sad..

Monaro - 380bhp 1677kg = 226bhp / tonne
Saab - 247bhp 1400kg = 176bhp / tonne

Saab will have a fair bit less transmission loss but Monaro should have a big edge tbh. Although shorter gearing can make a huge difference.
Monaro's have long gearing and I read a thing about some Monaros having the wrong diff fitted from the factory that makes them even longer geared than intended.

I'd say that 50bhp/tonne difference wouldn't show up much below 100mph, IMHO.

To be really geeky, I might fire up my old simulator later...