Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What's the point in buying a GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2009, 11:01 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the point in buying a GT-R

Nissan have introduced even more restrictions in the US that will void the warranty....

Exclusions and Limitations to Manufacturers Warranty

Please read your GT-R Warranty Information Booklet carefully. The Nissan GT-R warranty provides you with extensive coverage when the vehicle is operated in accordance with the Owner's Manual. The warranty includes a number of other specific conditions, exclusions and limitations, which include (but are not limited to) exclusions due to failures resulting from:

Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner's Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow;

Not adhering to the service and maintenance requirements set out in the Nissan GT-R Owner's Manual and the Service and Maintenance Guide, including failures resulting from the use of non-Genuine Nissan Parts or required or recommended fluids;

Improper repairs or services rendered at facilities other than Nissan Certified GT-R dealerships;

Failing to have the Performance Optimization Services completed in a timely manner;

Genuine Nissan Parts not intended for use on the GT-R, including NISMO parts not specifically designed and manufactured for application to the GT-R, or any non-Genuine Nissan Parts;

Replacing a GT-R special specification part with a non-GT-R special specification part (see GT-R Owner's Manual for the list of GT-R special specification parts);

Operating the GT-R on a dynamometer, except a dynamometer test performed to comply with applicable local law for emissions testing.

Additionally, some modifications will VOID your GT-R New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage. Read your warranty information booklet carefully for specific details of all terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions.

Important: Additional Exclusion and Warranty Voiding

Damage to the powertrain, or any drivetrain component(s) that occurs when there is a record in the Vehicle System Data Recorder (VSDR) that the vehicle was driven with the VDC off during the period when the damage was incurred is excluded from coverage under this warranty.

Adding, replacing, reprogramming, attempting to reprogram, altering or disconnecting any computer, control unit, or electronic module or deleting any or all stored information in any computer, control unit, or electronic module, or denying access to any data or information stored in any computer, control unit, or electronic module VOIDS ALL COVERAGE under the 2010 Nissan GT-R New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Such actions are also "misuse" and "tampering" as those terms are used under "What Is Not Covered" in the warranty. See your Owners Manual for additional important information and related warnings
So no track or airfield, no rolling road, no vcd off, no new parts, no mapping, no denying access to black box that no doubt would be used to incriminate you in any incident.

Is it really that fragile?
Old 08 April 2009, 11:23 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio

Is it really that fragile?
Sounds like it, doesn't it.

Wonder what happens in Japan now then. Limited to 121mph unless you're on a circuit. If you're now not allowed on a circuit, what's the point?
Old 08 April 2009, 11:25 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Isn't that what most warranties say anyway, no modding and no track days? The main difference is that the GT-R has a fancy black box that will tell the dealer everything you've done and everywhere you have been!

Steve
Old 08 April 2009, 11:59 AM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
The main difference is that the GT-R has a fancy black box that will tell the dealer everything you've done and everywhere you have been!

Steve
As long as the wife can't plug into it and find out everywhere you've been!

On a more serious note, I can see more car manufacturers going down this route to avoid warranty claims for certain cars, to mitigate their exposure. Especially in light of the current car climate!
Old 08 April 2009, 01:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

People slag off Nissan for the wording of their policy but I remember it being discussed on here a few years back that number plates of people leaving track days were being recorded by PI's working for warranty and insurance companies.
Old 08 April 2009, 07:12 PM
yoza
BANNED

"Whats the point in buying a GT-R"

The point will be missed...unless you drive one.

When you drive one, you will get the point.

Trending Topics

Old 08 April 2009, 07:29 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

50+ grand and enough exclusions to wriggle on practically any warranty claim? And logging everything you do to back it up? People complain about cameras and road charging and all the rest but this is an astonishing amount of tracking.
Old 08 April 2009, 07:32 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The warranty thing has been around on the Subaru scene for years!!! Pretty much stating the same thing too.

The difference here is that it is MUCH more expensive, and aimed at a more racing clientèle. Therefore I'm sure there's more to this than meets the eye.

Even if I had the money, I'd be going down a used Ferrari route. At least they're a racing company making cars for that type of use

Dan
Old 09 April 2009, 01:49 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Might be a good buy second hand when the warranty has expired, although maybe then the value will go up? I wonder.
Old 09 April 2009, 01:58 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

The current warranty allows you to take it on an approved track (with a service visit afterwards), they've removed that possibility.
Old 11 April 2009, 08:27 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

if you can afford £50,000+ on a car invalidating the warranty is surely least of your worries
martin
Old 11 April 2009, 09:35 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Look, all the warranty says is the same as any other: thrash it, modify it or fail to service it and you're on your own. Do you honestly beleive that if you take your new car of any description, up the power and then thrash it round the track that your warranty will be honoured if it breaks? People complaining about this are living in a dream world.
Old 11 April 2009, 09:58 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Look, all the warranty says is the same as any other: thrash it, modify it or fail to service it and you're on your own. Do you honestly beleive that if you take your new car of any description, up the power and then thrash it round the track that your warranty will be honoured if it breaks? People complaining about this are living in a dream world.
The problem as I see it is not that the restrictions are there, but that Nissan have been banging on about how fast/great/awesome/etc it is and how it's the ultimate at XYZ and faster than ABC around a track and so powerful and blah blah blah.

But no-one else is allowed to verify any of these claims, or if they do they'll invalidate their warranty.

Do Porsche place the same restrictions on use of their track-oriented models?
Old 11 April 2009, 10:42 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beef
The problem as I see it is not that the restrictions are there, but that Nissan have been banging on about how fast/great/awesome/etc it is and how it's the ultimate at XYZ and faster than ABC around a track and so powerful and blah blah blah.

But no-one else is allowed to verify any of these claims, or if they do they'll invalidate their warranty.

So because a manufacturer claims their car can do 0 - 60 in 7 seconds, does that mean I can do that repeatedly and they'll honour the warranty? I'll give you a clue: the answer is no, not if they can prove you were doing it.

It's a road car, end of story. If it was a track car, it wouldn't have a warranty at all.
Old 11 April 2009, 10:56 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should ask some GT2 and GT3 owners how their warranty claims went after they destroyed their £28k ceramic brakes at the track? You know, the brakes Porsche say are ideal for track usage?

Nissan dealers will apply the same common sense tht most places would. If you have a blown gearbox and you've done loads of hard launches using the unofficial "launch control" you're screwed. If the fuel pump fails becauses of poor design, you'll be fine whether or not you've been on track.
Old 11 April 2009, 11:11 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should ask some GT2 and GT3 owners how their warranty claims went after they destroyed their £28k ceramic brakes at the track? You know, the brakes Porsche say are ideal for track usage?
I asked the question because I don't know. Brakes seem a little different to me because they're designed to wear out, but at £28k I'd be pretty miffed if they wore out prematurely.

Nissan dealers will apply the same common sense tht most places would. If you have a blown gearbox and you've done loads of hard launches using the unofficial "launch control" you're screwed. If the fuel pump fails becauses of poor design, you'll be fine whether or not you've been on track.
Why should whether the VDC is on or off affect warranty situations? Not knowing what VDC does, it seems to be a traction control on steroids - or to put it another way, it's a safety net. For them to refuse failures that occur when VDC is off indicates that the vehicle is capable of performing to a higher level than it can mechanically withstand, and the VDC is being used to clip the wings of that performance. If it's sp bad when it's urned off, why did they provide an option to turn it off?
Old 11 April 2009, 11:41 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I asked the question because I don't know. Brakes seem a little different to me because they're designed to wear out, but at £28k I'd be pretty miffed if they wore out prematurely.

Why should whether the VDC is on or off affect warranty situations? Not knowing what VDC does, it seems to be a traction control on steroids - or to put it another way, it's a safety net. For them to refuse failures that occur when VDC is off indicates that the vehicle is capable of performing to a higher level than it can mechanically withstand, and the VDC is being used to clip the wings of that performance. If it's sp bad when it's urned off, why did they provide an option to turn it off?
A) You don't know what VDC does yet you want to turn it off. Why, if you don't know what it does?

B) The manual tells you not to turn it off except when rocking the car in mud or snow. There's the reason for providing an "off" function. The manual tells you that driving with the VDC off in anything other than these conditions will void the warranty. For example, if you drive a Land Rover flat out on dry tarmac in 4wd and all the diffs locked, that would probably void your warranty too.

My bet is Nissan know exactly what VDC does and why they don't want you turning it off.
Old 11 April 2009, 05:34 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

i think there trying to stop people from modding it, the reason being is that i presume they want it to be looked as like a porky or ferrari, rather than an import tuner car.
Old 11 April 2009, 05:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

B) The manual tells you not to turn it off except when rocking the car in mud or snow. There's the reason for providing an "off" function. The manual tells you that driving with the VDC off in anything other than these conditions will void the warranty. For example, if you drive a Land Rover flat out on dry tarmac in 4wd and all the diffs locked, that would probably void your warranty too.

My bet is Nissan know exactly what VDC does and why they don't want you turning it off.
They could fix that in an instant by having it switch back on again automatically above 20mph.
Old 11 April 2009, 05:55 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
They could fix that in an instant by having it switch back on again automatically above 20mph.
But they're giving you the choice. You can choose to track the car, you can choose to use the LC, you can choose to turn the VDC off, you can choose to modify the car and you can choose to drive it absolutely flat knacker everywhere. They just won't pay for the repairs.
Old 11 April 2009, 07:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nat21
Or you can choose not to buy one which saves a whole load of hassle.
Spot on !
Old 11 April 2009, 07:17 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Absolutely. They're being straightforward about the terms. If you don't like it, buy another product.
Old 15 April 2009, 05:29 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

My mates is 600 bhp of fun, no warranty at all, he loves it
Old 18 April 2009, 12:18 PM
Carmar
Scooby Regular

If I was in the USA and had the money to buy a GT-R i'd put my had back into my pocket and head to the nearest GM dealer and buy myself a Corvette ZR-1.

The reason Nissan don't want you to turn the VDC off is because it puts extra stress on drive/suspension component, maybe Nissan should of built it stronger?. The R34 GT-R had no such problems.
Old 18 April 2009, 12:32 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Agreed albeit how would they know that you've been on a track?

TX.

Do you honestly beleive that if you take your new car of any description, up the power and then thrash it round the track that your warranty will be honoured if it breaks? People complaining about this are living in a dream world.
Old 18 April 2009, 12:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I'd buy one in a flash regardless of above, wouldn't anyone given they had the cash One of the best cars in the world isn't it ...

TX.
Old 18 April 2009, 01:31 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

...'til it breaks!!

Quick Reply: What's the point in buying a GT-R