Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

S2000 or BMW Z4 3.0 ?.

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2009, 12:37 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 or BMW Z4 3.0 ?.

Looks like I have sold my E36 M3 cab, and have a budget around 10K mark give or take.

I have narrowed my search I think to either a S2000 or a Z4 3.0

I am a petrol head, but having owned many a v.fast car - Fast is fast enough for me these days and its not all about ***** out power.

I have always liked the 6 cylinder BMW engines and do like the look of the Z4 especially back end, and no doubt the BMW will give a newer design car and solid feel, and with 231bhp shouldn't be a slouch.

Or you have the S2000 which seem to be plentifull at the moment, and plenty of choice about and could even get one for less than my budget and a good one. I like the syling just as much as the Z4 and arguably better, but apart from the seats the interior is typical honda plastic. But the car I'm guessing is lighter has circa 10bhp more and should feel more responsive and be a hoot once above 6K.

I know I shoud really test drive them both back to back but I don't have any near me so looking for opinions on both and ideally first hand experience.

Due to lack of torque is the honda totally gutless below the v.tec ? or are they still pretty responsive driven normally.

What the Z4 gains low down in grunt it looses at the top, and visa versa with the Honda. I suspect the Honda could be more fun which is a considerable factor in things as well.

And as a complete curve ball. I have always wanted a E46 M3 coupe which could be had as well, but don't think it would be fun enough.

Cheers
Rob
Old 26 March 2009, 12:57 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Neither.

I'd go Porsche Boxter S.
Old 26 March 2009, 01:03 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Neither.

I'd go Porsche Boxter S.
Now you really are messing with my head. The boxter S was on the list, but don't know why but I had discounted it. But for a poor mans porsche they do seem to get a good review and as much as I'm not a badge snob the porsche badge is a little seducing as well.

Early boxter S 240bhp.
Old 26 March 2009, 01:32 PM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

If you're looking for fast, softtop and for £10k or £15k at a push then you will only have a small pool of cars to choose from.

You've already owned one of the fastest of the lot.

As it's such a small pool of cars you may as well go out and test each one before deciding which is best for you.

The only other cars I'd add that haven't been mentioned are:

Carrerra 4 Cab
TVR Tuscan
Z3M Roadster

My money would be on the M3 but that's my preference as it the best for my requirements.

Personally I found the S2000 and Boxter to be disappointing compared to the M3. The only Z car's I have any experience with are the Z3M and Z4M.
Old 26 March 2009, 01:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
I know I shoud really test drive them both back to back but I don't have any near me so looking for opinions on both and ideally first hand experience.

Due to lack of torque is the honda totally gutless below the v.tec ? or are they still pretty responsive driven normally.

What the Z4 gains low down in grunt it looses at the top, and visa versa with the Honda. I suspect the Honda could be more fun which is a considerable factor in things as well.
I suggest that is what you do, as they are like chalk and cheese.

BMW m54 3.0 has a very very smooth torque curve: it has pretty much the same torque at 1500rpm as it does at 6000rpm. Its that smooth torque curve that makes it feel a bit boring at higher revs, as the rate of acceleration is very constant regardless of revs- this translates to it feeling slower than it actually is. There is no kick, or sudden spike in power.

S2000; doesn't have a smooth torque curve, its stepped. Where it rises slightly up at 3K rpms and then jumps sharply as the revs rise past 6k rpms; this is felt as a kick in power output just after 6k rpms. That sudden rise in torque equates to it feeling fast - which it is, but only from that point onwards. (I call it the "holy cow" phenomonen - also found on cars with laggy turbos ).

One is also heavy, planted and tank-like, the other is somewhat more raw, skittish and less refined. It really is a matter of taste, and what its going to be used for. As a weekend toy the s2000 will give more thrill, but it might annoy you if you have to communte in it everyday, which is where the BMW may become a more attractive prospect.

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 March 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 26 March 2009, 02:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
Now you really are messing with my head. The boxter S was on the list, but don't know why but I had discounted it. But for a poor mans porsche they do seem to get a good review and as much as I'm not a badge snob the porsche badge is a little seducing as well.

Early boxter S 240bhp.
Forget headline BHP figures. Every Sportscar/roadster that comes out get's pitted against the Boxter.

Boxter always wins.

It has the best handling out of them all. Yes it is seen a poor mans 911. But it's the best sportscar you can buy.
Old 26 March 2009, 02:16 PM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Real wild card:-

Why not go for a 90's Merc SL500. There's actually plenty around with 70k miles or even less for that money. Last of the well made Mercs (classy too)can do telephone number mileages without too much maintenance. Hard top looks good too and generally comes with it, V8 sounds, about 360bhp but no manual box! Rarer than the aforementioned too!

Just a thought!

Trending Topics

Old 26 March 2009, 02:17 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you already have use of a practical car, I would consider something completely different such as a Lotus Elise S2.
Old 26 March 2009, 02:47 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
If you already have use of a practical car, I would consider something completely different such as a Lotus Elise S2.

Had considered one of these, and we do have a family car so this is a weekend toy and takes me 3 miles to work and back each day, plus the odd business trip. But having had a VX220 turbo I could imagine even for this requirement a S2 being a little bit too hard core.

Which is narrowing it down to the S2000 and boxter 'S' now.

But have to question my sanity selling a perfectly good E36 M3 convertible that is by all accounts v.nice and quick, to then spend 2 to 3 times as much for a car with 2 less seats, slower, but it is a little newer and a proper sports car.

The E36 M3 is a little old school in terms of looks and feel compared to the others I'm now considering.
Old 26 March 2009, 03:11 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Between the two I would say S2000, My friend has one, she claims it has no manners and when the V tec kicks in it puts the biggest smile ever on your face.
Old 26 March 2009, 04:29 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I had this choice a few years back. I went with the Z4. The 3.0 is a peach, and its a great real world engine more suited to daily driving than the S2000 which you have to rev like buggery!!! The Z4 also gets more kit than the S2000 (if you buy the right spec'd car).

Boxster S was also on my list, but for the same price I'd have been buying an older car with more miles and less kit.....
Old 26 March 2009, 05:00 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I had an S2k for 4 years+, Loved it, did 3k across Germany/Switzerland/Austria, never missed a beat and just about enough room to get some booze in on the way home

The S is not slow under 6k despite what some think (perhaps those who have only read reviews etc), I used to press on quite happily without sitting in the 6k+ zone.

I suggest you try one, watch it in the wet though but if you are sensible they are great fun. You can save even the most ridiculous dukes of hazard style tail out...

There are not roomy though, if you are over 6 ft and of ample build I would try sitting in one first, I reckon I was at the top of the fatty scale to fit comfortably in

You wont get a case in the boot either, soft bags only as the spare impedes into the boot space.

Too add, I'd tried a mates mk1 and mk2 Elise, VX220, driven a boxster S and come from a F360 and it didn't disappoint.

Last edited by RichB; 26 March 2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 26 March 2009, 05:15 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

In this order for the money on offer:
s1 Elise, either the standard or the 111, s2 elise then the s2000.

In the next month or so I'll be getting a mr2 new shape. Easily pick one up for £3.5k.

The bmw or Porsche I wouldn't even consider due to running costs and not really into the image they project
Old 26 March 2009, 05:42 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

If you are buying a car for fun why would you care what image they give to other people, if you think along those lines, why are you buying an MR2?
Old 26 March 2009, 06:04 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Because they're a fun 2 seater sports car for a really cheap price maybe? They also don't project the w@nker image the other two do. Any other silly questions?
Old 26 March 2009, 06:22 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Because they're a fun 2 seater sports car for a really cheap price maybe?
The term "Cheap cars" is only relative to the person buying them, the guy might earn three times as much as you.

They also don't project the w@nker image the other two do. Any other silly questions?
But you didn't mind roaring round in a Subaru?
Old 26 March 2009, 06:37 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
The term "Cheap cars" is only relative to the person buying them, the guy might earn three times as much as you.

But you didn't mind roaring round in a Subaru?

He might but his budget is £10k if you're refering to the OP. If you're not what guy are you on about? £3k for a new shape mr2 must be cheap in anyones books looking for a 2 seater roadster

I don't own an Impreza anymore thanks. One of the reasons is the idiots who now can afford them. When I first got into Imprezas they were quite rare and expensive. And I never 'roared around' in them either.
Old 26 March 2009, 06:59 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Depends what type of image you are after or even if you care (in your case you seem to very much) what sort of image do you think an MR2 gives?
Old 26 March 2009, 07:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

If I was that image concious I'd get another Elise. Since I'm shelling out on a wedding that's occuring on Monday I've not got too much money to burn, thus I'll be looking at mr2s.

You seem to have an inexhaustible list of silly questions. Have you any information that may aid the OP or are you just intent on trolling with poorly thought out 'questions' for me?
Old 26 March 2009, 07:25 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Heres another one to consider if you're looking for something easy to live with and is comparable to either the S2000 and Z4, how about a Nissan 350Z convertible? More powerful, faster and better looking than the other two.
Old 26 March 2009, 07:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

S2000 is a great car to own.

Been down this route before and would do again, except no question of Boxsters or Z4s etc.
Old 26 March 2009, 07:43 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

The Mr2 roadster is a pretty looking car, but interior is horrid IMO and with just 140bhp is too underpowered for me. For that budget I would sooner have a well sorted , mint Rev2 Mr2 turbo running 280bhp+

Love the looks of a S1 elise, but now top money and disproportionate to what else is about for the same money IMO, and unless its the 111S way to slow and too short geared.

I've seen a S2 with ptp165bhp upgrade, and even with 165bhp I just don't know it will be up to my needs on a motorway. Great 'A' road car, but suspect it will run out of puff once you really stretch its legs, and although I don't do lots of miles, don't think I'm ready for the commitment one of those things need. Remember I have had a VX220 Turbo which by all accounts is a little softer and easier to live with, but I still found it too harsh, and hard work to just jump in an out off.

My Budget is 10K ish, so its S2000, boxter S, Z4, or elise. And I still have something telling me to scratch a long itch and stretch the budget to get a E46 M3 coupe or convertible.

They are all do-able, but using a similar outlay its trade off between mileage and age.

I'm not that bothered about running costs, servicing or even petrol for that matter - its all about getting the right car. My budget leaves plenty left to keep the thing on the road.

I have a S2000 in a local garage so will go give it a test drive this weekend and see how I feel about it.
Old 26 March 2009, 07:50 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Heres another one to consider if you're looking for something easy to live with and is comparable to either the S2000 and Z4, how about a Nissan 350Z convertible? More powerful, faster and better looking than the other two.

****.! Hadn't though about the 350Z. They are defo in budget as well. However I just had a quick look and the roadster just looks all wrong IMO so rulled that out, but have to say the coupe's are nice and allot of bang for ya buck, and comparatively you can get a younger car with low miles..... 280bhp but a heavy car..., and if I were going to compromise on the convertible thing then I would sooner have a E46 coupe over a 350Z coupe. So talking it through to myself I think I have just rulled out the 350Z roadster, or coupe.
Old 26 March 2009, 08:55 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

well after been shown up driving my porsche boxster 260 bhp by a civic type R i would say go the honda route for cheaper servicing and better reliability oh and that its bound to be quick lol

see my thread a civic type R puts into perspective how bad my car is

Last edited by delcbr; 26 March 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 26 March 2009, 09:18 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

This was a good watch, but still didn't help that much - But defo warming to the S2000 now.

YouTube - BMW Z4 vs Honda S2000 vs Porsche Boxster
Old 26 March 2009, 09:30 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

If I was that image concious I'd get another Elise.

You seem to have an inexhaustible list of silly questions. Have you any information that may aid the OP or are you just intent on trolling with poorly thought out 'questions' for me?
Lol what you on darling, you are the one that brought the whole wouldn't have a Z4 or Boxster, which are both brilliant cars, because and I quote "not really into the image they project" and "They also don't project the w@nker image the other two do" but will be happy to drive round in a ****box hairdressers car, I brought it up because I don't see how it compares.
Old 26 March 2009, 09:35 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

My missus has had an S2000 for three years ,it has run faultless and the servicing ,even if you dont do it yourself is cheap,during the summer she uses it everyday,we chose not to use it in the winter to keep the mileage down,and she needs a bit more practice with driving it sideways ,I personally dont think its as twitchy as people make out ,at slow speed it will drive sideways all the time if you want ,but it could catch people out in the wet at higher speeds if they are not used to driving with any opposite lock,other than that its a personal choice over a Z4 or a Boxster,but it does sound well on vtec!!
Old 26 March 2009, 09:52 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Lol what you on darling, you are the one that brought the whole wouldn't have a Z4 or Boxster, which are both brilliant cars, because and I quote "not really into the image they project" and "They also don't project the w@nker image the other two do" but will be happy to drive round in a ****box hairdressers car, I brought it up because I don't see how it compares.
Yes, definitely a troll.

Back on topic Yep the Elise in standard guise hasn't got a great deal of torque, so for motorways you won't get amazing performance. I used mine daily for almost exclusively Mway driving as a commute car, I actually made £500 when I sold it on and returned amazing mpg (book figures for extra urban would be 49 mpg!). For performance with the gearing, you'd be better with a typeR engined elise, but they start around £13k.

For £10k I wouldn't even be considering an mr2 though! I'm only looking for them as I've a low budget at the moment. Go for the m3

Last edited by scoobynutta555; 26 March 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 26 March 2009, 10:56 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Ok a few more "different" motors to consider, not necessary these examples but it gives you an idea
Auto Trader UK - JAGUAR XK 4000 cc R 4.0 Auto supercharged sat nav
Auto Trader UK - TVR Chimaera 4.0 Convertible
Auto Trader UK - AUDI TT 3.2 V6 QUATTRO DSG (BRAND NEW 18" ALLOYS)
Auto Trader UK - BMW M ROADSTER Z3M 3.2 2dr Z3m Roadster
Auto Trader UK - MERCEDES-BENZ SL CLASS SL320 2dr Auto Convertible
Auto Trader UK - MERCEDES-BENZ SLK 320 Tip

Last edited by jonc; 26 March 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 28 March 2009, 09:05 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I actually drove a S2000 (mint condition 56-plate with 20k miles) today after a trip to the local dealer turned into a semi-serious test-drive in a car I had assumed I couldn't fit in... being 6ft 1" and 'larger' build.

Here is what I thought about it:

- Looks, despite the rather boring colour (transformed in sunlight), I really like the S2000 styling. The front wings are really wide and flared and there are small details throughout the car inside and out which I really appreciated. The dashboard is very driver focused, with controls for air conditioning/heaters on the left of speedo cowling and to the right you've got remote stereo controls to avoid fumbling around with headunit down at the gearstick.

- Build, the interior seems well put together, will probably last a lifetime.. grade of plastics probably isn't the highest, but to be honest, felt nicer than my old Hawkeye STi did. The car was a GT model, so when I took it out, the car had its hard-top fitted and while driving around at 'normal' commuting speeds this was fine and seemed well insulated...... once the speeds were up a bit and into all three digital sections of speedo, the wind noise and clattering from the hard-top was pretty shocking actually. So much so that I wondered if it had been secured properly?!

- Performance, just driving through the town the car peformed well.. reasonable level of torque to nip around with, very civilised and the clutch action just as light as any shopping car IMO. The gearchange is one of the very best I've ever used, precise, easy to push home even when making quick changes up and down the box. When out on the deserted open road, I opened the car up and was really surprised at how well it pulled through all the gears, smooth pre-VTEC and then strong pull once the digital rev counter swept past 6k up to the limit at 9k. It so happened that I was with a friend who is an ex-S2K owner and he suggested that we remove the top of the airbox......... WOW!! The noise was severely addictive, the VTEC howl at 9k is something you have got to experience to pass comment on.

- Handling, was alright. The suspension set-up seems quite harsh, definitely a car you need to avoid potholes in... and when you dont, its a painful crashing that you get as the car struggles to deal with it. When pushing on, the car handles well, there isn't any noticeable bodyroll and the suspension seems to deal well with camber changes and changes direction easily. The standard brakes could be a bit sharper, though they did pull the car up with ease. Compared to the 330d I arrived in with OEM discs and DS2500 pads, they were a little wooly.. I guess this would be easily sorted with a similar upgrade of pads on the Honda.

On the whole, I was really impressed with the Honda and its put a major spanner in the works regarding my next car purchase as it seems to tick a lot of boxes... classy looking, good fun, reliable, cheap to run, practical-ish and quick.

Cheers,
Grant

Quick Reply: S2000 or BMW Z4 3.0 ?.