Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Diesel replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2009, 07:29 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diesel replacement?

With new job looming, away from home so will be traveling from Cambridge to Chatham weekly.
Sorry to say one of my options is to replace the classic with one of the following diesels:
VW Golf Gt 150
Seat Leon Fr 150 (I know a golf in another suit)
Vauxhall SRi 150

All of which will be remapped with basic induction mods up 180-190, depending upon car.

So the advice required is which would choose and why.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 14 March 2009, 10:03 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

My vote..

Octavia VRS diesel mate VERY capable car..i used to work at Skoda.
Old 14 March 2009, 10:38 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Good shout, one I havent looked at, cheers.
Old 14 March 2009, 11:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vauxhall THE most tunable out of the box car there, 200+bhp on a remap plus they handle very well, are considerably more refinded engine wise (and gearbox) over the vw units (and the most powerful engine in its class )

Tony
Old 15 March 2009, 12:05 AM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The Vauxhall THE most tunable out of the box car there, 200+bhp on a remap plus they handle very well, are considerably more refinded engine wise (and gearbox) over the vw units (and the most powerful engine in its class )

Tony
Avoid the VX. I had one of the 150 1.9 CDTI engines.

Numerous EGR faults, numerous swirl valve actuator faults (this results in a new inlet manifold assembly) and not as economical as the VW units (I`ve also owned a 150 PD Golf).

I`d be after a Leon or a Skoda VRS.

All IMHO of course............

Last edited by Volks; 15 March 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 15 March 2009, 12:19 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

What about an Ibiza Cupra 160 TDi... might be a bit small, but I'm sure that would be a really punchy little car, specially mapped up.

AP Brakes (Seat Sport Branded) as standard too.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 March 2009, 12:22 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've never driven a Vauxhaul that hasn't disappointed me, completely !

Leon or Octavia are available with the 2.0 PD170 unit, but I believe the tuning companies are having problems getting much out of them unless you have the DPF removed. The PD140/150's may get slightly more with just a remap. We'd have got the Leon, but we needed the Octy's boot for the pram.

I've not driven them, but many people say the new Ford diesels are excellent, better than the VAG's, so don't ignore the Focus which has an excellent chassis too, or the Mondeo.

Of course, you could buy an older BMW or Audi. I'd love a Beemer 335D for its incredible mid-range performance (30-70 in 3.3s, faster than the M5 ).
Old 15 March 2009, 12:36 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

PD170 remaps - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forums
Old 15 March 2009, 04:41 PM
Stryder
Scooby Regular

I went from an E39 530d sport to an Astra 150 CDTI Sri Sport Hatch.

Obviously the first thing I noticed was the Taxi engine note, but this smooths it's self out once the car has warmed up. It has a decent 16v rasp when you are it giving some beans, but you will be under no illusion that it is a diesel you are driving.

In terms of performance. The car feels every bit as quick to the national speed limit as my old beemer. Better economy and more agile but less better build quality. Hit the sports button on the dash, and it sharpens up the steering and engine responses. These cars come with decent brakes, with 310mm discs at the front. The steering is sometimes a little lifeless, but you do get some feed back when pressing on, but don't expect Evo, or Scooby levels of communication when you head down your favorite A road.

I've managed to hang to supposed faster cars such as a Boxster 2.7 and Focus ST. You are not going to out run these cars, but with the decent amount of torque available you are never far away from these cars while still returning excellent mpg.

Direct comparisons. Well my cousin recently bought a Fabia VRS, and I was suitably impressed considering I paid twice what he paid for his car. These cars are deceptively quick too. I reckon I could just about get away from him, but I would be at the raggedy edge of my own and car's ability.

Other cars you could consider?

I've read the Megane sport 175 dci is a really good sporting hatch.
Also the previous generation Mondeo ST TDCi with around 155 bhp is an excellent alternative too. BMW's 120d which with later models comes with 177 bhp are now becoming more affordable too, and with a decent remap, you should see around 210-215 bhp. Much like the Alpina D3 engines.

Further, I think out of the 3 you have shortlisted, the Vauxhall is the best looking, but you must ensure your get one with the XP kit, which basically mimics the VXR body kit. Also get one that has been registered 08 upwards and these cars are cheaper to road tax than the 07 models.

Happy hunting.
Old 15 March 2009, 04:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Volks
Avoid the VX. I had one of the 150 1.9 CDTI engines.

Numerous EGR faults, numerous swirl valve actuator faults (this results in a new inlet manifold assembly) and not as economical as the VW units (I`ve also owned a 150 PD Golf).

I`d be after a Leon or a Skoda VRS.

All IMHO of course............
There is nothing wrong with the fiat unit in the Vauxhall, if you want unreliable diesels, look no further than VW!!
They have considerably more issues than any of the mainstream diesels out there, injector faults are common on cars over 100k, engine issues also, and the better car to drive is actually the vx plus the vx is due for replacement this year, the new engine is more economical than the vw unit(s) even the old engine gives them a run for the money, i see over 50mpg at 80mph which is better than the quoted 49.6mpg@75mph.

Tony
Old 15 March 2009, 06:18 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

nothing in life is as reliable as a volkswagen vag is the way to go I have had diesel vag's for 8 years now and had no major problems they may not be quiet as quick as the latest fiat vauxhall or ford but you dont get niggeling problems with them that the other makes do I have got a mate with a golf gttdi 250,000 miles on the clock and it still drives like its only got 50 on the clock we have a renault megan diesel and its like a bag of nails with 126,000 on the clock the quality will shine through on a vag and they will hold there money better
Old 15 March 2009, 06:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paddi70
With new job looming, away from home so will be traveling from Cambridge to Chatham weekly.
Sorry to say one of my options is to replace the classic with one of the following diesels:
VW Golf Gt 150
Seat Leon Fr 150 (I know a golf in another suit)
Vauxhall SRi 150

All of which will be remapped with basic induction mods up 180-190, depending upon car.

So the advice required is which would choose and why.

Many thanks in advance.
What's your budget?

Why not try for a Golf GT Sport 170?

I have one, and they are pretty damn rapid.
Old 15 March 2009, 10:43 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
There is nothing wrong with the fiat unit in the Vauxhall, if you want unreliable diesels, look no further than VW!!
They have considerably more issues than any of the mainstream diesels out there, injector faults are common on cars over 100k, engine issues also, and the better car to drive is actually the vx

Tony,

I owned a Golf 150 PD for 22,000 miles and it only visited the dealers for one routine service.

The VX had 6 visits to VX dealers in 15,000 miles, only one of those visits was for a routine service, the others were for EGR and swirl valve actuator faults. To be honest, the service I got from the VX dealer was spot on though. I was on first name terms with the service manager by the time I`d had enough and sold it on.

The VW may not have been a better steer than the VX but a VX in the dealers waiting for an EGR valve on back order `aint no use to me.

Perhaps the VX I had was a bad example, have a quick scout on Astra Owners Network though and you`ll see the problems I had were commonplace.
Old 15 March 2009, 10:53 PM
ianch
Scooby Regular

i just got myself a vw bora 1.9 tdi (150) engine im well happy with it, big enough for me the wife and 2 kids and has a decent boot. its been remapped to 190 and pulls like a train on the motorway whilst still giving good mpg and i never thought id have a diesel lol
Old 15 March 2009, 11:03 PM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

Ive just got a 320d BMW 150bhp. When it worked the performance was superb, unfortunately after 3 weeks of ownership its had an EGR valve, Turbo breather, MAF sensor and is off back tomorrow for a new Turbo all because of a boost problem (no boost till 3.5k), garage seems to think the variable vanes are stuck on the turbo. Thank god its under warranty as the bill is gonna be huuuuge pretty sure the garage said the turbo was gonna be circa £1200

So avoid a 320d
Old 15 March 2009, 11:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Someone in the know told me a lot of turbo diesel Beemers are having problems I'd still love a 335D though 30-70 in 3.3s, and that's before the remap
Old 15 March 2009, 11:21 PM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

Yeah I was reading up about the swirl flap problems thats plagueing the 320d, 8k for a rebuild
Was really impressed with the 335d when i drove one, out of my price range unfortunately, seriously thinking of one at the end of the year though, insane power for a diesel
Old 16 March 2009, 09:54 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Someone in the know told me a lot of turbo diesel Beemers are having problems I'd still love a 335D though 30-70 in 3.3s, and that's before the remap
Had a go in a mates 535 m sport diesel absolute monster 300+ bhp what a car
Old 17 March 2009, 07:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Volks
Tony,

I owned a Golf 150 PD for 22,000 miles and it only visited the dealers for one routine service.

The VX had 6 visits to VX dealers in 15,000 miles, only one of those visits was for a routine service, the others were for EGR and swirl valve actuator faults. To be honest, the service I got from the VX dealer was spot on though. I was on first name terms with the service manager by the time I`d had enough and sold it on.

The VW may not have been a better steer than the VX but a VX in the dealers waiting for an EGR valve on back order `aint no use to me.

Perhaps the VX I had was a bad example, have a quick scout on Astra Owners Network though and you`ll see the problems I had were commonplace.
Im the opposite, 10k miles and no issues its just the dealers that are a pain

Tony
Old 17 March 2009, 08:34 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the Astra. Had the 1.9CDTi 150 (estate) for over three years and apart from an engine fault repaired under warranty, it's been a very good car.
Handles well, quick, well made (the only Astra that ever has been), well specced, good brakes on the 150 and genuinely quick.
But the dealers are UTTER cr4p.

335d Touring next for us.