Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Advice Needed - Clutch/Gearbox problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2009, 08:30 PM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice Needed - Clutch/Gearbox problem...

We recently bought my wife a Ford Focus ST170. We were aware it needed a new clutch, and booked it into a Ford dealer at the start of this week. Ford replaced the clutch and we got it back on Wednesday.

Today, my wife was driving with our toddler and was on a quick stretch of road, so put the car into 6th gear. She said it didn't feel quite right, so tried again but it was totally stuck. Luckily there was no cars immediately in front of her so she was able to bump it up onto a grass verge and call me. I tried to knock it out of gear but couldn't and rather than mess around and cause more damage we called a recovery to tow it. The recovery mechanic was also unable to get it out of gear and initally said it was probably a linkage problem. However, when my wife mentioned it had a new clutch fitted this week, he said it was more than likely caused by the new clutch, and metioned something about a pin? (wife can't quite remember). It was towed to Ford and my wife explained this to them, they're getting someone to look at it tomorrow and have given her a courtesy car in the meantime. The recovery mechanic was saying there is no way this should happen 2 days after spending the best part of £600 on a new clutch.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? I'm a bit concerned it's not Ford's fault and we're going to have to foot a massive bill for a new gearbox ontop of a new clutch. Although it would be one hell of a coincindence that 2 days after a new clutch is fitted this happens with the gearbox...? We worked out tonight that it's not done more than 20 miles since we got it back on Wednesday.

Can anyone advise?