Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Seat Leon FR550

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2008, 07:54 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Leon FR550

Does anyone have any experience of the Seat Leon FR Diesel, specifically the 170ps version? I've looked at the Golf aswell but i need a five door and the Seat looks better in my opinion and seems bigger too.

It's for the missus as I had to cancel order for a 500 Abarth as we realised the boot was too small to fit a trolley in (prob should of tried this before putting a deposit down)

I'm 95% sure i'm gonna get one of these after christmas. Went and drove one yesterday and also drove the Cupra (240ps). I drives really well, plenty of poke and quite well equiped.

The Cupra was nice but suspension was too stiff for my liking and it was struggling to put the power down and traction didn't seem too good (although it was moist)

One thing that concerns me is that the salesman told me this engine has a "DPF" - some kind of diesel filter which clogs up if you do low milage. Now I do low milage and he said this could be a problem as when they clog up the car starts to cut out randomly. Anyone heard of this?

Any other feedback welcome
Old 07 December 2008, 08:20 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

I'm on my 3rd FR170 (after having 3 FR150 MK1 Leon's) diesel and rate it very highly.

It never falls bellow about 36mpg and is an enjoyable drive. I think you'll find that the Cupra springs are softer than the FR. The ride can be a bit harsh over some of our pot hole ridden roads and is made worse by the optional 18" alloys than I have fitted. I would also recommend the bluetooth phone setup as it's well worth having fitted.

If I needed a practical and economical car which is also fun to drive, I'd buy a Leon FR170. As it is I'm lucky enough to get a new one every 6 months from work and that enables me to use the Spec C when I want to.

Useful forum over here. Leon - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

Last edited by Robocop; 07 December 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07 December 2008, 09:05 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If you do the odd motorway journey it should have a chance to burn the soot off
Old 07 December 2008, 09:27 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

I owned an A3 with the same TDi 170 engine and found it superb. I personally never had any DPF issues but lots of other A3 owners doing urban commutes said they had DPF problems and some even had them changed due to be glogged completely. Audi literature now says that the TDi170 engine with DPF is not suitable for people who mainly drive in an urban enviroment.

If you do a search on Untitled Document you'll find loads of info on that particular VW group engine.
Old 07 December 2008, 09:39 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

Drive the old dears for two weeks while they were away on holiday last year and have to say that i liked it.
Only thing that i found bad was that it had no real feeling to the steering at low speeds ie less than 50mph compared to my Octavia vRS but was a cracking car other wise
Old 07 December 2008, 10:02 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I looked at these recently as a company car purchase. I took one for a test drive an loved it. I then found out I was also able to have petrol so I have just ordered the Cupra (240ps petrol). Excellent cars!
Old 07 December 2008, 10:24 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I live in an urban area and don't really do any motorway miles, so the DPF thing may be a problem.

The suspension was stiffer on the Cupra, I took the same route in both cars specifically to go on roads with pot holes and speedbumps.

May need to look at an alternative
Old 07 December 2008, 11:21 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Don't buy a car with a DPF if you only do urban driving Mike, as you'll have the DPF light on regular and have to go back to the garage. Trust me, I have a 170dpf golf and it happens to me quite regularly!
Old 08 December 2008, 10:17 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rick. I'll look at something else.
Old 08 December 2008, 10:58 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAMIRO
Don't buy a car with a DPF if you only do urban driving Mike, as you'll have the DPF light on regular and have to go back to the garage. Trust me, I have a DPF golf and it happens to me quite regularly!
i wouldn't go that far,I've never had any issue's with my 170 Audi in 20,000 miles and thats with at a guess 70-80% urban.i was worried about it before getting it mapped but 6,000 miles later still no lights and it's going quite well for a diesel!
i could be way way off but when i feel the car's dpf regenerating i always go for a good blast to help the process by heating things up a bit "saying that,it does get warmed up a lot"plus I've been using Forte every 5k or so which is supposed to be the amber nectar for diesels.
Old 09 December 2008, 01:26 PM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

have a look on BRISKODA - The Skoda Forums

a few there have had dpf probs with octavia vrs 170 diseasel.

cheers matt
Old 09 December 2008, 02:46 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bpm1588
i wouldn't go that far,I've never had any issue's with my 170 Audi in 20,000 miles and thats with at a guess 70-80% urban.i was worried about it before getting it mapped but 6,000 miles later still no lights and it's going quite well for a diesel!
i could be way way off but when i feel the car's dpf regenerating i always go for a good blast to help the process by heating things up a bit "saying that,it does get warmed up a lot"plus I've been using Forte every 5k or so which is supposed to be the amber nectar for diesels.

Originally Posted by RJM25R
Don't buy a car with a DPF if you only do urban driving Mike, as you'll have the DPF light on regular and have to go back to the garage. Trust me, I have a 170dpf golf and it happens to me quite regularly!
Whilst not wanting to argue, bearing in mind that I work at a VW main dealer and sell these cars all the time (with the occasional customer complaint!) I feel that my knowledge and experience will be more widespread than your experience of one car, and I have had quite a few issues with my OWN company car as mentioned, and I do 95% urban driving in it.

IF a customer came in, and said that they would want the car for mostly urban use, I would buck the trend of being a blood-sucking salesman, and direct them to a car more suitable to their needs sans DPF.

And why am I named after a Sean Connery character from Highlander?

Oh no, thats Ramirez LOL

Last edited by RJM25R; 09 December 2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 13 December 2008, 12:56 PM
evo north
Scooby Regular

Does anyonr no if the 170 engine in the golf have any differences to the seat fr,
Just little diffs like cams, inlet manifold, the map etc
Cheers
Been in both seem alittle diff
Old 13 December 2008, 01:18 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJM25R

Whilst not wanting to argue, bearing in mind that I work at a VW main dealer and sell these cars all the time (with the occasional customer complaint!) I feel that my knowledge and experience will be more widespread than your experience of one car, and I have had quite a few issues with my OWN company car as mentioned, and I do 95% urban driving in it.

IF a customer came in, and said that they would want the car for mostly urban use, I would buck the trend of being a blood-sucking salesman, and direct them to a car more suitable to their needs sans DPF.

And why am I named after a Sean Connery character from Highlander?

Oh no, thats Ramirez LOL

so i have the only dpf car without problems? i won't say anymore like you say you have a far Superior knowledge plus i don't ant to lose my head lol
Old 13 December 2008, 02:38 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bpm1588
so i have the only dpf car without problems? i won't say anymore like you say you have a far Superior knowledge plus i don't ant to lose my head lol
Nope.. mines never had any DPF probs either..
Old 13 December 2008, 02:54 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

I never said you were the only person who has had problems, Highlander. I just said that I have had customers who do only urban driving who HAVE had problems (Myself included) and as such, I would recommend NOT to have a car with a DPF if you do that type of driving

I have widespread experience of more than one car, whereas you have only your own car's experiences

Also, as a matter of interest, VW have removed DPF completely from the new Mk6 Golf. I'm fairly certain that it's because of the problems our service dept's have been having, but when I go to the Mk6 launch next week, I'll ask them!