Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking News: Porsche Confirms Cayenne Diesel

Breaking News: Porsche Confirms Cayenne Diesel
Old 21 November 2008, 10:08 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Seems to be even uglier again - what a pig of a car! It's trump card was a the looney V8 turbo which this one hasn't got. Why on earth would you buy this unless you just want a badge?
Old 21 November 2008, 10:14 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

well the fact that they showed a pic of a white one is not going to help...

...and yes, without the noise a nice big V8 with sport pipes its pointless.
Old 21 November 2008, 10:56 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Trying to make the world's least green car company a little less un-green. What magnifiscent politics and astute marketing. Those guys know a thing or two This is what the world needs. And in addition to the Porsche-owned Audi and VW 4x4s that we cannot get enough of already. Absolutely fabulous

Richard.
Old 22 November 2008, 03:12 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Trying to make the world's least green car company a little less un-green. What magnifiscent politics and astute marketing. Those guys know a thing or two This is what the world needs. And in addition to the Porsche-owned Audi and VW 4x4s that we cannot get enough of already. Absolutely fabulous

Richard.

Well they took over the VW group just because of the emissions at the end of the day.............
Old 22 November 2008, 05:36 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Suppose it good to try and boost sales, fingers crossed it will depreciate as badly as the petrol version - hence I can afford to buy one !

Richard
Old 22 November 2008, 07:28 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

It will sell just because of the badge though, same as the last one did
Old 22 November 2008, 11:30 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Well they took over the VW group just because of the emissions at the end of the day.............
It was a big factor for sure. And then they have put out the diesel Cayenne for exactly the same reason. Put bluntly, in order to be more emmisions compliant Porsche has had to bring out another energy-munching monster. It's just contrary politics - that's my point.

Richard.
Old 23 November 2008, 08:19 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I thought the 3.0 Subaru diesel was going to go in the Cayenne....... or is that old news?
Old 23 November 2008, 08:29 AM
M535I
Scooby Regular

so now its ugly , slow and smokes alot pmsl .im sure they know best what to do .diesel ferrari anyone .
Old 23 November 2008, 11:49 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M535I
diesel ferrari anyone .
Don't even joke about it

We already have KERS coming in F1 cars in an extraordinary attempt to pursuade the public that motorsport is in some way a wholesome, energy-responsible, green, activity.

Are we really such a gullible species? 'Fraid so

Richard.
Old 23 November 2008, 01:46 PM
M535I
Scooby Regular

Don't even joke about it

We already have KERS coming in F1 cars in an extraordinary attempt to pursuade the public that motorsport is in some way a wholesome, energy-responsible, green, activity.

Are we really such a gullible species? 'Fraid so

Richard.
i think if the goverment's concerntrated on the real people who pollute the world i.e america ,china etc etc car's wouldnt have to be the bad one's .
imagine the day you sit your great great grand son on your knee and say these words."i can remember when my car's used to run on fuel " , you know it will happen .
Old 23 November 2008, 02:15 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry, but putting diesel engines into premium brand cars completely misses me.

Surely if you are in the position of being able to spend that amount of money on a car in the first place then you are not someone is who is going to be concerned with running costs or the price of petrol.
Old 23 November 2008, 10:08 PM
FMC
Scooby Regular

Believe it or not there is a market within the company car market for premium diesels, due to taxation. You know the sort - the stereotypical BMW 318d driver, who simply has to have a BM, even though it'll be **** on performance and spec in his measly budget. Well imagine if he got a major promotion, and could just about stretch his budget to Cayenne territory - it'd probably need to be a derv, so hey presto - there's your market right there.
Old 23 November 2008, 10:35 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Find the views on this thread quite strange TBH. Why shouldn't a 'premium brand' motor company run a diesel? Given the economic and environmental benefits a diesel provides, not to mention the benefit of consumer choice, why not? Didn't Audi become the first manufacturer to win Le Mans with a diesel in 2006? Haven't Subaru just released diesel engined car? (several years too late).

I've driven and owned several diesels as well as petrol sports cars, and believe me, if Vauxhall or Lotus released a diesel Elise or vx220 they probably would take a significant market share.
Old 24 November 2008, 01:40 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

SN555, I can see the point of diesels, even if they're not for me - BMW seem to have got it right. But I don't see the point of a Cayenne. Especially now. Diesel or not. And it surely will not find many takers on a site like ScoobyNet.

The other thing I am drawing attention to is that this whole diesel issue is being politically led along a skewed agenda IMHO. In fact, the whole company car thing was a pure political creation all those years ago, as a way of getting around the 1970s pay freeze. It does not exist elswhere in Europe.

FMC, you are deluded. I have two mates that fall into your company car execs category. One drives an M5, the other an RS4. They sit in a petrol- headed car park for sure, of about 100 vehicles, and there are a good number of Beemer diesels, but no Cayennes.

And who on earth is going to buy a diesel Elise or vx220? C'mon!!! There is nothing stopping them from making one...

Richard.
Old 24 November 2008, 12:58 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I'd buy one, especially with a VAG 170 bhp. The elise does 50 mpg on a 1.8 petrol, an even taking into account the etra weight, with a diesel probably much more

Vauxhall did introduce a concept car once that managed 113 mpg
Vauxhall to show diesel VX220 - Auto Trader UK - News and Reviews Hub
Old 24 November 2008, 01:08 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
I'm sorry, but putting diesel engines into premium brand cars completely misses me.

Surely if you are in the position of being able to spend that amount of money on a car in the first place then you are not someone is who is going to be concerned with running costs or the price of petrol.
A few years ago that might have been a good argument, but have you driven any of the latest batch of (esp. 6 cylinder) diesels?

Seriously: there's no need to add the "...for a diesel" qualification to any positive comments about engines any more. My 330D, for example, is smooth and refined, makes a great noise and is effortless to drive - the fact that it'll also return well over 40mpg on a run is a bonus. The latest engines are even better.
Old 24 November 2008, 02:08 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Nothing terribly wrong with diesels, but their overriding virtue is fuel economy and tax-friendly emissions. Nothing else. And that's no small benefit - money talks for a reason. (But I do find it interesting that the government has just put 'green' road tax increases on hold. Is this because environmental issues have magically evaporated, or is saving the planet not quite so urgent as it was last year? Friggin joke )

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
...the fact that it'll also return well over 40mpg on a run is a bonus.
Andy, I would respectfully suggest that economic considerations were the primary driver of your diesel purchase, and not merely a bonus. Sure it's nice to drive, but petrol is nicer

Pure drivers' cars are invariably petrol, but you have chosen something with more of a practical compromise. Nothing wrong with that at all. I've been thinking about Beemer diesels myself, as I want to be sensible, but a 911 for similar money is where my heart is. Luckily, I don't need four doors and four seats anymore, and in the overall equation the extra cost of fuel is not the biggest factor. And since I honestly don't buy the environmental thing either, diesel is out.

SN555, are you seriously trying to say that you, personally, actually, would put your money down against a diesel VX220 or Elise? If so, why on earth would you?

Richard.

Last edited by Hoppy; 24 November 2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 24 November 2008, 02:19 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Well,if changing getting a thrill between 2000 and 4000 rpm is your thing then diesel is for you.

I agree with the points raised about money.If you can afford a £70k car is the pain of diesel really worth it for saving a few pounds on car tax and fuel?

(our old Fabia vRS was cracking though but cheap in the first place!)
Old 24 November 2008, 03:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Actually I only do around 15,000 miles a year - some of that in the scooby - so it wasn't really an economic decision at all. I like the character of a turbo engine, I like having plenty of torque available, and I was fed up of having to pour fuel into my '05 STI which always seemed like there was a hole in the tank.

With hindsight - and especially given what I paid for the car, some subsequent out-of-warranty repair work, and the recent price hikes on diesel compared to petrol - I might have been better off with a 330i instead.

But, what I do think is revealing, is that at the moment Mrs C and I are both driving to work, and we're fighting over who gets the BMW and who has to drive my classic STI v2. Not the other way around!
Old 24 November 2008, 03:43 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

SN555, are you seriously trying to say that you, personally, actually, would put your money down against a diesel VX220 or Elise? If so, why on earth would you?

Richard.
Yes me personally, actually would. Have you owned an Elise before, I have? I think a diesel would be great. Why would I have one? Sky high mpg and more than likely better 'real world' performance.
Old 24 November 2008, 06:35 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Andy, fair play to you But when you're heading for the back roads and not driving to work, which keys do you squabble over then? I know what you're saying though - my modded 2.5l Scoob is fast, but relative to most other cars it has no other virtues. Frankly, after 140k miles I'm tired of it. I want a change, like you I guess.

SN555. You would buy a diesel Elise? Really. I just don't believe you mate, and I am just as confident that Lotus will never market one. As you must surely know, Lotus is about light cars, with brilliant dynamics. That is not diesel territory. The car I drove, for over 500 miles in magazine test, was widely regarded as the best ever Elise, with the fasntastic Toyota engine revving to 9,000. Diesels don't do that, either.

An Elise is not about fuel economy or any kind of 'real world' relevance. It is an extreme sports car.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 24 November 2008, 06:59 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Well thanks for telling me what I will or won't be buying As I've said earlier a conversion has been made IIRC, and Vauxhall concepted a vx diesel.
Track performance has been excellent culminating in a diesel win at Le Mans in 2006. Diesels don't have to be lumpen and boring.

The Elises fuel economy was indeed one of the reasons I bought one, (49 mpg on NUL). I thoroughy dispute your flawed hypothesis that the Elise has no real world relevance. Extreme sports car? Again, another flawed comment. Many Elises are driven daily, even commuted in. High mileage examples are a testament to this.
Old 24 November 2008, 11:51 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Well thanks for telling me what I will or won't be buying As I've said earlier a conversion has been made IIRC, and Vauxhall concepted a vx diesel.
Track performance has been excellent culminating in a diesel win at Le Mans in 2006. Diesels don't have to be lumpen and boring.

The Elises fuel economy was indeed one of the reasons I bought one, (49 mpg on NUL). I thoroughy dispute your flawed hypothesis that the Elise has no real world relevance. Extreme sports car? Again, another flawed comment. Many Elises are driven daily, even commuted in. High mileage examples are a testament to this.
Horse. Dead. Flogging.
Old 25 November 2008, 12:46 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Horse. Dead. Flogging.
Sanctimonious. Condescending. Wrong.
Old 25 November 2008, 12:58 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555

I can see your point but your view (as technically correct as it may be) is not the one held by the majority or people either on here or where it counts - the car buying public.

Doesn't help that Clarkson et al always refer to diesels as oil burners. People still see it as the fual of the tight or agricultural vans, buses and tractors run on diesel, cars are petrol etc etc.

That's what concerns me with Porsche. For years they were happy with their limited number of models which sold well and maintained a high value. now they have a finger in many different pies and i think they are close to actually damaging the brand.

Cars like this which depreciate like it is going out of fashion puts them in the hands of some people who shouldn't have them (like the kids buying cheap import wrx's) which devalues the badge.

Ferrari are still exclusive, Porsche, a lot less so these days. Wouldn't like to see them goign the same way as Jaguar with warmed over VW saloons in the range.

5t.
Old 25 November 2008, 03:16 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

I guarantee you there will be an Elise type diesel within 5-7 years. And a good one at that.

It's pretty clear - look at the change in diesels over the last 5 to 10 years. Technology will make the engine's lighter and more responsive and before you know it they will be dropping them into proper sports cars.

Petrol design hasnt really moved on much in the last 15 years.

I don't like diesels and currently I wouldnt touch a diesel sports car but I am not blinkered to change and epic improvements in that area.
Old 25 November 2008, 03:57 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

There will be a slew of small engined turbo charged diesels in the near future. I see emission taxes as getting increasingly harsher on big engined cars. Fuel will also get increasingly expensive. The car buying public are indeed coming around to the idea of diesel, 15 years ago you'd see a very low percentage of private cars being diesel, nowadays diesel is commonplace. There's even diesel convertibles out there.

I'd be very, very surprised if this wasn't the only diesel sports car that in the pipeline to be launched 'en masse' before 2010.

I'd also question the ramblings of Clarkson as he's far from the diffinitive voice of motoring.
Old 25 November 2008, 04:12 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Fair do but i think there is a long way to go still. Looking at our next car and i think potentially 535d but even then i'm not convinced on a diesel Elise etc. Look how long it took for VW to turn Skoda around and get people thinking about them as more than an East european joke.

Clarkson may not be the definitive voice on motoring but millions watch him and millions more read his pieces in the papers. Definative? no, but for many the only source they have.

5t.

Quick Reply: Breaking News: Porsche Confirms Cayenne Diesel