Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Civic type r vs Seat Leon Cupra vs others???

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2008, 08:48 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Civic type r vs Seat Leon Cupra vs others???

Hi folks,
Just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts on the VAG 1.8t in the mk1 leon platform compared to the Civic type r.
I have had 3 b16a honda's to date and have been in the market for an EP3 for the last 2 months, the only problem is my budget means I am looking at the bottom end of the type r's that are on the market (5-6K)
I test drove a 53reg Leon Cupra which had been remapped to 210bhp today and whilst not overwhelmed with the car it didn't appear to be a bad car, obviously different to what i'm used to i.e. rev happy engines with minimal torque but lots of aural presense.
This car is within my budget, has all the toys, lots of history, only 42k and seems a straight car but I'm worried that i'll get bored and miss the vtec!
Not really had any experience with VAG cars so i'm sure it'll take me a bit to get used to and I may find that I enjoy the different engine but what do other people think.

Drove a friends clio trophy yesterday and was very impressed but this is out of my budget and a regular 182 doesn't really get me going. Mini Cooper S would be a bit ropey for my budget and maybe a touch too small for a 6'ft5 mountain biker that needs to be able to get a bike in the boot.
DC2 was a thought but would like a newer car for a change, anything else or is the cupra the best bet???

look forward to your responses..
Old 20 October 2008, 09:20 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

you doughnut you should have bought my type r for 6k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honda : NHB Civic type-R genuine example with subtle mods.
Old 20 October 2008, 09:36 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Hey

I had a 1.8t cupra for 20,000 or so, bought it from new a few years back, it may well have been a simlar year. I thought it was great at first but i'm afraid to say build quality was an issue... the seat IS NOT put together as well as a golf for example. I wont go into all the issues that my friend and i had (he bought a silver one the week after me) but lets just say its enough to put me off ever buying a seat and indeed an over priced german family brand again.

Also the cupra as opposed to the cupra r wouldn't have the legs on the civic. Personally i'd get a civic over the Cupra... but then i've already owned the seat

@d
Old 20 October 2008, 10:42 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I would definitely go for the integra - much more performance for your money.
Old 21 October 2008, 12:15 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

what about an S3..

or Astra GSI

Not saying they are any better, just options you may want to consider
Old 21 October 2008, 12:47 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Agree with the S3 - a lot dont like them and although a bit numb and certainly not as sharp as a CTR - a remapped S3 makes them a very potent car indeed.
Old 21 October 2008, 09:58 AM
Pigfrog
Scooby Regular

Did the 182 you drove have the cup pack??

If not try one with it as they handle superbly, maybe not in a straight line but are all round quicker than the ctr and 5 - 6 k will get you a very nice one.

Just my thoughts.
Old 21 October 2008, 02:24 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pigfrog
Did the 182 you drove have the cup pack??

If not try one with it as they handle superbly, maybe not in a straight line but are all round quicker than the ctr and 5 - 6 k will get you a very nice one.

Just my thoughts.
it was the trophy that I drove so had the sachs suspension etc. Just seen a nice Dc2 but its in northern ireland!!
Old 21 October 2008, 08:29 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Roojai
I would definitely go for the integra - .
+1

Plus it'll swallow a mountain bike very easily with the seats down. Suprisingly large boot area in the teggy
Old 21 October 2008, 08:30 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

S3's quattro system isn't all it's cracked upto be, Having owned an S3 and a Cupra R, the Cupra R is the better all rounder although the S3 has leather and Xenon's, the handling isn't as nimble, VAG 1.8t or cracking engines and are easily up'd on Bhp.
Old 22 October 2008, 01:50 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

My missus has a 1.8t Leon and its a good car IMHO, alot for the money and its a really good drive - had an excellent blast over Exmoor in it

Shortly after getting her that I was looking at S3's and drove a few, I was sooooooo underwhelmed the Leon would have been all over it Its desperate for a remap, but then do the same thing to the Leon and the playing field levels again. I got an ST in the end!