Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Jaffa cake 'V' 350 horse scoob V 265bhp 205 at Cadwell VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2008, 07:35 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaffa cake 'V' 350 horse scoob V 265bhp 205 at Cadwell VIDEO

As some of you may know I organised a group to go to Cadwell on Tuesday. I thought I would share a bit of video footage and my trip report with you.

This is the video.
The cars i'm following are
1. Floyd in his 350bhp classic Subaru. It looks pretty standard but it's far from it and a lovely car.
2. The silver 205 is Garry in his silver 205. It looks standard but with a GTi6 engine and a blower fitted it has 265bhp. More than enough for something weighing 900kg's.
3. The red 205 is an Mi16 with an unknown spec.

Enjoy the lovely circuit that is Cadwell park

and here is my report

Yet another brilliant Northloop track day.
The week before the weather was so bad that I decided if it looked to continue I wasn’t going to bother making the 440 mile round trip to Cadwell. I needn’t have worried.
Monday morning came and the weather was fine, the trip was on.
I had all afternoon to get to Scotland or wherever Cadwell is so I took a steady pace and trundled along. I managed to get 33.8mpg out of the jaffa cake on the drive up. I was impressed.
I got there early so I nipped to the track to see if there was anything on. These guys were there doing there stuff

After watching for an hour I went to the B&B to put the 888’s on. A damned fine place it was too.

An hour or so later Floyd turned up and setting about sorting his camera equipment out.

We took a stroll into town and had a beer while waiting for the others arrived. Dave Boulder was first followed by Will, Sasha, Andy and Eddie. We went to our favourite Indian for a nice meal. Floyd had to suffer the after effects of me having eaten an Indian meal through the night. The rest of the guests thought we had an overnight thunder storm.
5am and Floyd and I are awake.
We had breakfast with Dave and Martin (Texas)

Off to Cadwell we met back up with Will and his lot who were camping

With the sign on and briefing done it was off out for the duck and drake laps. Anyone who’s seen me drive knows I like to clip a curb or two. The one at Barn was my first try and it ripped my front splitter off. I decided to stay away from that one for the rest of the day.
The green light was on and we were out and running.
Dave was doing a fine job in the 120D

A couple of other interesting cars on track

This was worth a look. A Vauxhall 2.0 had been installed in this with a rad in the back. It went very nicely

Chris had been more than explicit that someone always reverses into the Armco on Hall bends in the first hour. This guy proved him right and proceeded to spin pretty much everywhere during the day. Take a bow sir

Lunchtime came and we had the chance to take a few track side pics.

Dave took to the grass trying to get by

Much of the same in the afternoon, the weather was perfect, I burnt my head.
I had been building up to taking Coppice flat all day and when I did it I decided I wouldn’t do it again. It was a little hairy.
Andy and his friend were there in the RA and the EVO. They had a great day too.
Ethro (Tom) arrived and had some pax laps with the guys.
Martin was kind enough to take me out for some nice laps in the M3

Floyd bored the marshall

Will had a wheel bearing issue that finished his day. The northloop stickers have pride of place on the car and Will has taken my mantle of the wonky sticker king

Around 4pm I changed my wheels back over and by 4.30 I was on the road and on the way home.
A brilliant day and again I got to meet more Northloop members and have fun with them.
Next stop Silverstone on the 7th Aug
Old 18 July 2008, 08:37 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Some great pics there Gary - you trying to make people like me jealous?

Must get myself a trackday car and have some fun.

Nice one fella
Old 18 July 2008, 08:48 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The last 30 seconds on the vid are entertaining if you havent watched it yet
Old 18 July 2008, 10:22 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Superb stuff Gary......... like you say, once you got that mica red shed out of your way things became a lot more interesting. Looked like a great day.

I should pay more attention, does it say on your rear windscreen "you've just been tango'd........." If it doesn't - it should.

Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.

Paul
Old 19 July 2008, 11:26 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the kind comments Paul.

It was a great day and really quiet on track all day.

The beemer seemed to be quite well suited to Cadwell.
Old 19 July 2008, 04:04 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice pics, good day out
Old 20 July 2008, 01:26 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Another video. This time it's from the 205 with the charged GTi6 engine in it. It shows you just how close the cars were during the spin.
YouTube - Cadwell Park following CW and G Kinghorn

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2008, 09:16 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Ah, so it was your BM filming the CW spin?

Chris posted it on the 205 forum and I asked him what the camera car was as it sounded superb, now I know its yours - lovely engine note!!
Old 21 July 2008, 05:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much kind sir
Old 22 July 2008, 04:25 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

What's it weigh Gary and what torque/horsepower?
Old 22 July 2008, 07:26 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
What's it weigh Gary and what torque/horsepower?
It weighs 1060kg's without me in it. You can get them under 1000kg's but it's going to be difficult with the scaffolding I have in mine. I have to run it with the spare in the boot as it is to ensure I get some traction.

Nothing exciting power wise. Standard engine so 171bhp nearly 20 years ago. It's suprising how spritely it is though.
Old 22 July 2008, 08:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It is, hence my asking. My late early 944 officially weighs 1180kgs, but Im going to weigh it semi dry to see where Im really starting from, as it has power but no sunroof. Id like to get it under 1000kilos: its possible but it might be too extreme, I do want to retain the heater for the extra cooling capacity. Im replacing all of the front panels with thin GRP, removing carpets and sound deadening: replacing all of the glass with margard polycarb, gutting the doors and both seats only weigh 11kgs combined! I weigh 20kilos too much as well, but thats harder to strip.
Old 23 July 2008, 07:57 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I wanted mine under 1000kgs but it just isnt going to happen without some radical changes. It already has fibre glass bonnet, fully stripped including heater, impact protection, poly windows and only one seat. I could have gone for a fibre glass boot but to be honest I need some weight over the back wheels so this would have been a false economy I think.

Mine is fine at the moment, in time an extra 30bhp will make it about perfect, but for now it's good enough as it is
Old 23 July 2008, 10:59 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about that: fibreglass doors could save enough weight to get you under, but theyre not as good as it sounds. Considering what the cars for you might want to keep steel doors at the front and lighter doors at the back will be taking 30+ kilos away leading to even more traction problems.
Old 23 July 2008, 01:04 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If you felt how much weight was left in my doors you would know you weren't going to get 15kg's out per door. There is only a single skin left and they weigh nothing. I would suggest 5-7kg per door at the most and the fibreglass one is going to weigh a kg or 2.

The next step would be fully removing the dash and replacing it with a stack dash. But for £1000 it isn't worth it, plus I would have to get rid of my lovely flocked dash

To be honest the 1000kg figure is just a mythical one anyway, it's irrelevant if I hit it or not really