Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

thinking of an bmw x5 to replace 2 cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2008, 12:51 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thinking of an bmw x5 to replace 2 cars ?

we have a 350z and a pajero 2.8 td and are thinking of getting rid of these 2 (tax and insurance x 2 and the zed does not get used enough 7.000 miles in 2 years) and getting an x5 3.0 d sport as we need something that will tow our caravan and something that is a bit sporty to with half decent economy to .the x5 will be no older than 2 years old and will have all the toys etc has anyone ant experience with the x5 good or bad as I'm reading up on them at the moment .will be going to look at a few next Friday and hopefully be having a test drive in one any comments much appreciated thanks
Old 07 July 2008, 01:29 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A mate of mine has just bought a 3.0i Sport, he looked at loads before he found one that was in mint condition, the interiors on the ones I went to look at with him were all hammered, specially the bolsters on the drivers seat from getting in and out and the steering wheels all had scuffs and areas when the coating had rubbed off.
Cant comment on the D but the 3.0i does pick up its feet quite well really for a big lump, it doesnt feel as quick as my 330Ci M but it did surprise me how well it got on, certainly doesnt feel like a big 4wd bus.

Last edited by Jay_bee; 07 July 2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 07 July 2008, 01:56 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

new x5 would be an approved used bmw so should be in really good nick but i will keep your comments in mind
Old 07 July 2008, 02:07 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Fair comment.

My 330 was from BMW and was worth the premium, service I've had when buying/taking in for service etc has been excellent but my mate didnt want to pay it plus everytime he spoke to them they kept trying to put him in more and more expensive ones, he told them £25k was budget so they tried to get him in a £28k one (nearly did buy it as well)

All the best!
Old 07 July 2008, 02:28 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
Fair comment.

My 330 was from BMW and was worth the premium, service I've had when buying/taking in for service etc has been excellent but my mate didnt want to pay it plus everytime he spoke to them they kept trying to put him in more and more expensive ones, he told them £25k was budget so they tried to get him in a £28k one (nearly did buy it as well)

All the best!
yes looking on autotrader the difference in price is worth the extra for an approved one been looking at a
X5 3.0d Le Mans Blue Sport Edition
Old 08 July 2008, 07:37 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

I think the X5 is a great car and am about to sell my 996TT to buy a 4.8is.
They tick most of the boxes for me nowadays, especially as I need something with room for a mountain bike and or my golf clubs and Powakaddy!
Old 08 July 2008, 08:41 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveMiddleton
They tick most of the boxes for me nowadays, especially as I need something with room for a mountain bike and or my golf clubs and Powakaddy!
i think it is the best compromise between a sporty car and something that will tow a caravan (26 foot double wheeler). and it has to be a diesel and an auto and after driving a lwb pajero 2.8 td for 3 years (i'm keeping my type r) i think it will feel quick. on the way to stay in the caravan last weekend i saw a Mitsubishi 3000gt towing a caravan just looks so wrong lol

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2008, 01:20 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

As you'll be buying a newer car I assume, don't forget that the extra depreciation could more than offset the extra cost of the 2x tax & insurance. With the second hand market in decline right now on newer 4x4s it may be cheaper for you to stay as you are.

2 years ago I sold an Impreza STI and a Discovery V8, thinking that a 330d Touring would do the job of both. The 330d is overall very competent but a year later I went back to 2 cars which had strengths in different areas.
Old 08 July 2008, 05:39 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
As you'll be buying a newer car I assume, don't forget that the extra depreciation could more than offset the extra cost of the 2x tax & insurance. With the second hand market in decline right now on newer 4x4s it may be cheaper for you to stay as you are.

2 years ago I sold an Impreza STI and a Discovery V8, thinking that a 330d Touring would do the job of both. The 330d is overall very competent but a year later I went back to 2 cars which had strengths in different areas.
we have took a big hit with the 350z and it's hardly been used and we have had a bad experience with nissan so we want to chop it in we have put loads of miles on the pajero so we would at least get some use out of the x5 . be looking at a 2 year old x5 so it should have took a big depreciation from new

Last edited by farmerwrx; 08 July 2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08 July 2008, 05:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Won't you be in the top band for tax in a 2 year old X5? Keep the pajero and run it on veg oil and get something like a Lotus Elise for fun. Compromising and getting one car and you won't tick any of your boxes.
Old 08 July 2008, 11:04 PM
turbo2000brian
Scooby Newbie

I have just bought a 2006 X5 3.0d, and it is a fantastic car.
It is a sport and looks amazing in estoril blue, Full history all toys inc nav only done 15000 mls. Big Big fuel tank though £125 to fill her up.
You wont go far wrong with an x5, main reason for me was pulling twin axle caravan. The diesel has nearly 400lb of torque aswell and it doesnt feel like a big car when your driving it. Hope this helps you a bit.
Old 08 July 2008, 11:28 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

To echo Brian above, x5's are excellent all-rounders; I average about 38mpg on the motorway- down to about 27 if I'm trying. I rarely use the Impreza these days....

Its important to buy one with nav, or to be aware of how much less a car without nav is worth. I bought a 2005 X5 3.0d sport, black / black, without nav, for 18k in January- and haven't looked back since.

It drives really well, tows reasonably, and although I suspect it would get stuck on anything more than damp grass I've dropped the boat in / dragged it out, over soft sand at Trearddur on mnay occassions with no problems. Ok, my pickup does it better, but its sh ite for doing long distances.

Overall I really don't think you can beat the combination the X5 offers- if you can live with the image. Personally I couldn't give a toss- its ace and I'll have another
Old 08 July 2008, 11:29 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

ps if you get it down to DMS they'll make it real quick for a 2 tonne lump of pig iron, and probably improve the economy too
Old 09 July 2008, 10:12 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveMiddleton
If you can mountain bike you can walk. If you can walk you don't need a Powakaddy, you lazy sod. Clear all the junk out of your bag that you never use and buy a carry bag. Then you won't need to buy the utterly appalling X5. Shudder....
Old 09 July 2008, 01:13 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
If you can mountain bike you can walk. If you can walk you don't need a Powakaddy, you lazy sod. Clear all the junk out of your bag that you never use and buy a carry bag. Then you won't need to buy the utterly appalling X5. Shudder....

Change the record you miserable tw@t
Old 09 July 2008, 03:04 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
Change the record you miserable tw@t
Pathetic....
Old 09 July 2008, 03:05 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Won't you be in the top band for tax in a 2 year old X5? Keep the pajero and run it on veg oil and get something like a Lotus Elise for fun. Compromising and getting one car and you won't tick any of your boxes.
i have a version 5 sti type r for fun the x5 will be the wife's ride and mine when it comes to towing the caravan lol and it will be a damsite better on fuel than the scoob and the pajero for traveling back and forth to the caravan
Old 10 July 2008, 12:04 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
new x5 would be an approved used bmw so should be in really good nick but i will keep your comments in mind
*cough*
Old 10 July 2008, 02:01 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
*cough*
please embellish your comment if you like
Old 10 July 2008, 02:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yes, do your own 1000 point inspection..don't rely on BMWsSeems many cars have a habit of getting quicky body repairs, which when questioned "must have done by the previous owner". Some of which is of iffy quality.Also check the amount of sludge under the oil filler, a little is normal, thick built up crud means the extended service intervals were extended a tad too far.Don't rely on the car to be fully serviced: just before buying ask if its been done, usually its yet to be carried out as part of BMWs "approved used" scheme.* In which case, ask to look at the engine of the car your about to buy, and get someone to distract the dealer, then loosen the coolant filler cap and pull out the dipstick by an inch. Then upon collecting and paying for the vehicle after its 1000point check and service - Check that the coolant cap and dipstick have been put back right. And then you'll know how true to their word they have really been

Last edited by Shark Man; 10 July 2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11 July 2008, 08:33 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
please embellish your comment if you like
Approved used cars are a con in my opinion. I know at least one person who paid the premium and had no end of problems with the car. It's luck of the draw, just like any other car. Buy one with the BMW warranty though.
Old 11 July 2008, 09:36 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Depending on the spec you want, you may have no choice but to pay for an AUC though.

A couple of years ago I was looking to buy a 330D, and the only one I could find with the spec I wanted (manual gearbox was a must-have, yet surprisingly rare) was at a BMW dealer about 60 miles away. It was expensive and quite high mileage for its age, but as it was in immaculate condition and very well equipped I bought it anyway.

The proper BMW manufacturer's warranty is a must-have, though. The extended warranty on cars >3yrs old is provided by a third party and has significant exclusions - quite different and not worth it IMHO.