Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

2001 Ford Focus Coolant Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2008, 02:12 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Ford Focus Coolant Leak Question

Just been shopping with the missus and when we returned to the car there was a great big coolant puddle coming from the car. I checked the resevoir and there was coolant just below the minum mark so I decided to drive it to the nearest garage and top it up. I got to the garage, keeping a beady eye on the temperature gauge which didn't go above the normal midway point, and filled it up with coolant and water. I nursed the car back home with the heater on full wack just to sap as much heat away from the engine as I could. When I got home I looked underneath the car and noticed coolant dripping from the gearbox casing onto the drive. I looked under the bonnet and although not 100% confirmed it looks like it a leak in coming from somewhere near the thermostat housing on the right of the engine. Coolant was still in the resevoir just slightly below the level that I had topped it up to. Anyone know what the problem might be and if so what the fix is?
Old 29 June 2008, 03:02 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Just been out again as its cooled down now. Squeezing the main hose that goes into the top of the thermostat housing and you can here a watery sloshing sound as though air is getting in. When squeezing the hose continuously the leak is much more prominant.

If I top the coolant up again tomorrow morning will it be ok to drive the 14 miles to the garage that I use?
Old 29 June 2008, 03:33 PM
nez-wrx
Scooby Regular

if its the 1.6 or 1.4 the most common is the water pump, if its the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol the most common are the thermostat housing leaking
Old 29 June 2008, 04:45 PM
Shins
Scooby Newbie

Common problem, either the O ring needs replacing at the front of the thermostat (few pence) or you need a new thermostat (£72)
Old 29 June 2008, 05:26 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies chaps. It's a 2ltr petrol by the way.
Old 29 June 2008, 05:43 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Is it going to be ok to drive tomorrow? It seems to only leak when it's cool/cold as it didn't leak any when I initially filled it back up.
Old 29 June 2008, 05:44 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

If u have breakdown cover Id use that to get it to the garage. I speak from experience as my Astra had problems losing coolant but was a leaking head gasket and destroyed my cylinder head - £1k+ bill and I dont know this day if driving it the few extra miles to the garage caused the most damage.

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2008, 11:48 PM
nez-wrx
Scooby Regular

they tend to leak till the thermostat opens then normally ok just keep an eye on coolant level
Old 01 July 2008, 12:56 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had a 1.8 Zetec, which leaked in what sounds like the same place, turned out to be a cracked thermostat housing (plastic), can't remember how much a new one was (about £40 I think), easy 30 minute job to replace though.
Other than this, car was faultless for over 3 years.