Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Small car advice.

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2008, 07:38 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small car advice.

I have foolishly agreed to find a female friend of mine her 1st car.

As some of you will know I only really do 6 and 8 cyl old merc and the odd BMW - usually around 25 yrs old ++++.

I'm thinking Fiesta - she has around £550 and ebay has loads of N, P, R reg ones at the price. I have zero knowledge of this end of the market, and would appreciate any suggestions other than Festas.

Ta.
Old 30 January 2008, 08:04 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Micra, Polo, Suzuki swift?
Old 30 January 2008, 10:22 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

go for a jap, honda , toyota, nissan
Old 30 January 2008, 10:22 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

A fiesta i would imagine would be perfect, maybe the 1.3 a bit agricultural but tough as old boots - dirt cheap parts as well
Old 30 January 2008, 11:08 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

watch out for rust on the atches particularly on mk3 fiestas but still bad on mk4/5
Old 31 January 2008, 10:11 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

At that price wouldn't Jap be more reliable? honda civic of sorts? N, P, R reg are about 10 yrs old by now?
Old 31 January 2008, 10:11 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

watch out for rust on the arches particularly on mk3 fiestas
Absolutely. Fiestas of that era rust like hell and has put a lot of them to a premature death. I personally wouldn't even consider them.

Trending Topics

Old 31 January 2008, 04:20 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

A mark 1 punto is also worth a look, the shells are galvanised so they rust very slowly and they're pretty reliable.

The big weakness on the 1.1 (55) and 1.2 (60) FIRE engines is the head gasket, this tends to go by #1 cylinder.

Put it this way, my wife drives like Michele Mouton with PMT , and our old 55SX gave 10 years great service with nothing apart from the odd bulb and annual servicing. The head gasket blew just after we chopped it in for a new Punto
Old 01 February 2008, 08:13 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brickboy
A mark 1 punto is also worth a look, the shells are galvanised so they rust very slowly and they're pretty reliable.

The big weakness on the 1.1 (55) and 1.2 (60) FIRE engines is the head gasket, this tends to go by #1 cylinder.

Put it this way, my wife drives like Michele Mouton with PMT , and our old 55SX gave 10 years great service with nothing apart from the odd bulb and annual servicing. The head gasket blew just after we chopped it in for a new Punto

You know you have a point there - a couple of years back i bought a 106 and to cut a long story short i'd bought a lemon, a hole in the floor Fred Flintstone would be proud of, anyway i picked it up from the garage after they discovered if was buggered and worth no more than scrap anyway i said to the guy that i needed a cheap reliable small car, now this guy really knows his stuff (drives a super quick Scooby incidentally) and he told me to forget the little 106 and go out and buy an old Punto, he said they are a superb little car which very little goes wrong with.
Old 01 February 2008, 08:58 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

heres a hint.... dont buy a fiat cinquecento, more specifically a black sporting one with 76138 miles on the clock, with a reg no. p***tww

youll thank me later
Old 01 February 2008, 09:32 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Old 01 February 2008, 08:37 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I've seen a couple of Fabias going cheap.

Aren't these the same as Polos and Ibizas?
Old 01 February 2008, 11:27 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
I've seen a couple of Fabias going cheap.

Aren't these the same as Polos and Ibizas?

Not for £550 though surely
Old 02 February 2008, 12:24 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by All Torque
Not for £550 though surely
I meant Felicia
Old 02 February 2008, 08:47 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

The Felicias use a number of VAG components but I believe they're not based on the old Polo, IIRC they were a warmed-over and retooled version of the old Favorit, which was Skoda's last "independent" car before the VAG takeover.
Old 02 February 2008, 10:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ibiza, if you can find one that's not been chavved up, likewise, Corsa, parts and reapirs dead easy to come by and cheap.

Alcazar
Old 02 February 2008, 11:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nissan micra, probably the most user friendly car for a woman and better build quality than a fiesta!

Tony
Old 03 February 2008, 01:41 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Another vote for a Punto in this price range we had a 55s as a town car many years ago but its still alive today as i see it from time to time. Very roomy for a small car and very economical tonnes of spares in the scrapyards too. Get the 1.2 8v for cheapness allround
Old 03 February 2008, 02:15 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

You should be able to get a mk4 Fiesta for your budget which would be a perfect buy IMO go for the 1.25 zetec engine though if you can find it
Old 03 February 2008, 03:33 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

at that price, it will need regular work, go fiesta for cheap repairs, polo will be reliable but expensive when repairs are needed, avoid anything french or italian unless you have deep pockets, get a average mileage micra though for worry free motoring.
Old 03 February 2008, 04:18 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Micra definately, i bought one 2.5yrs ago for £600 just for goin to work in an leavin places i`rather not leave the scooby,bought it to manage me about 6 months an ive still got it-its now done 122,000miles and the engines still like a new one-uses no oil/water at all, is nice to drive(for what it is),got a decent sized boot for a sml car-i really cant fault it.
They`ve got a timing chain rather than belt so unless youre really unlucky feel a bit safer though sometimes the tensioner needs replacing(you`ll know by the noise as the engines are virtually silent when ok)

They are pretty lively aswell being 16v even for a 1ltr-dont get me wrong looks wise i aint that keen even though i own one but for reliability its been one of the best cars ive ever owned, starts everytime with about half a turn of the key.

In the 20,000mile ive owned it its had a battery and a replacement driveshaft costing a total of £150 an thats it(expect cv`s being ready though at this mileage)
Watch for a poor idle and cutting out when you come to a junction its a problem with a circuit board on the side of the throttle body, had it with mine an did some checking up on the net an turns out ya get dry joints on the 3pins from the plug for the loom where it connects to throttle body so its just a re-solder on the board-gotta be honest were sceptical at the time but were amazed when it worked.(circuit boards located in a sealed box on side of throttle body ya need to cut through rubber seal/sealant then refit/reseal after)
Body wise watch the front crossmember and rear sections of the sills underneath,ive have had to weld small patches on both sides of mine though not moaning it is a 1993 car a k-reg fiesta would now be a pile of rust

Liked polo`s but once ya start getting towards high mileage with old vw`s expect headgaskets,i got sick of seeing needs headgasket or just had headgasket when lookin for a polo so thought my chances of finding the right one that`d be reliable would be slim.

cars really surpassed anything i expected of it and they hold their value well aswell bought this like i say for £600 2.5yrs ago an i reckon it`d still fetch 3 or £400 now (did i mention other than the welding i did when i first got it-(minimal) its flown through 2 mot`s)

Next runabout will definately be another nissan-probably another later micra and a 1.3.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...3today0011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...3today0013.jpg
Old 03 February 2008, 11:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
I meant Felicia
Ive got a Felicia. I use it to drive to work and back every day, I get from SW Sheffield to Wirksworth in just over 27 minutes: I doubt I could get under 25 in my Impreza (if it were registered...). Its a 1600cc VW engined model: its really quite keen although the handling/grip is shocking. Granny-handling up to the point that the rear gives up too, made worse by appaling tyres. Still, it makes for an interesting drive to work in the morning. It will easily return 40mpg and Im only down to about 36mpg (maybe 34mpg now) and Im caning it half to death.
Old 03 February 2008, 11:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brickboy
The Felicias use a number of VAG components but I believe they're not based on the old Polo, IIRC they were a warmed-over and retooled version of the old Favorit, which was Skoda's last "independent" car before the VAG takeover.
Mine has a VW engine and tranmission but other than that it is, as you say, a re-style. look at one next to an old Favorit and its quite apparent. VW have improved everything though, I think.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:04 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

ukdave, would the boot of a Micra accomodate a small Labrador do you think?? ...as we're possibly looking for a new car to transport the dog around in and use to leave at station etc.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 04 February 2008, 05:18 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
ukdave, would the boot of a Micra accomodate a small Labrador do you think?? ...as we're possibly looking for a new car to transport the dog around in and use to leave at station etc.

Cheers,
Grant
don't leave your dog at the station
Old 04 February 2008, 05:55 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant

Cheers,
Grant
Gimme a mo, i`ll sort ya some pics out but yer i think so.
Old 04 February 2008, 05:59 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

If you can find a poverty spec MX-5 for 7-800 she'd love you for ever , sod the dog
Old 04 February 2008, 06:34 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ers/zzz333.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ers/zzz334.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/zzz336-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ers/zzz335.jpg

hope they help.
Old 04 February 2008, 07:12 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies.

I think Micra is the way forward from research. They appear to be pretty much bullet proof in every way other than the sills sometimes need attention.
Old 04 February 2008, 10:54 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

micra micra micra!

Quick Reply: Small car advice.