Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2008, 10:20 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Jeep Cherokee

I really fancy one of the old shape Jeep Cherokees. Some say they are really really bad but those that have them that I've spoken to say they have a bad rep.

I race 1/8 rallycross buggies and I need something that will fit all the gear and be able to handle the odd slightly muddy field.

Not really interested in getting anything else so would like any info from those that have had them.

I've been told the 2.5D is rubbish and the 4L Petrol is very thirsty although I'll be looking for an LPG converted one. It will only go back and for to work which is less than 2 miles (when I don't bike) and back and for to the track which is about 50 miles every other Sunday.

PS - i want it in black with bullet holes ala "The Goonies"

Old 14 January 2008, 10:32 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also been looking to buy one of these, pretty cheap as well for a couple of 'K' you seem to be able to get quite a lot of metal for your bucks.

I'm looking for a truck that will pull a horse box, take a load of boxes, be save to park in the city and at airports and with being diesel be economic on the mpg..

Never thought about the bullet holes, but when in Rome
Old 14 January 2008, 10:55 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The 4.0L is thirsty, especially in the auto variant (not sure if they do a manual)

the 2.5D is ok, but has an inherent flaw with its cylinder heads, 4 of them to be precise.

They fail at about 80k and need renewing, cost is about £200 each.

i read an article about them, other than the heads they were deemed to be an ok purchase.

I want a 2.5d, but dont know whether i want to factor £800 into the playing field for work that in all probability will / may need doing

Mart
Old 14 January 2008, 11:16 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I've been told the 2.5D is pretty woeful. Cheers for the HU on the heads issue. Be a question to ask when I'm looking.

An LPG 4L will still cost a fair bit to run even with 40p a litre. Like I said though, I don't do that many miles. I'm honestly not sure if I've had to re-fuel my Golf this year! Although I haven't been to the track in it.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I've been told the 2.5D is pretty woeful. Cheers for the HU on the heads issue. Be a question to ask when I'm looking.

An LPG 4L will still cost a fair bit to run even with 40p a litre. Like I said though, I don't do that many miles. I'm honestly not sure if I've had to re-fuel my Golf this year! Although I haven't been to the track in it.
Hi Edd,

this may help

Jeep Cherokee (93-01) Review - Parker's

if i recall, the TD varient isnt a Turbo diesel or it is, and the D varient isnt (confusing or what)

although i could be wrong, its been some time since i was looking for one

Mart
Old 14 January 2008, 12:38 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

I have a Jeep Cherokee TD sport LE, we're looking at selling it. We bought it for my husband for work, but he needed to fit a large dog cage in the back, sadly the boot is about 2 inches short
Its manual, VERY VERY clean, no rust etc, no dents, remarkably clean for its age (1995) and the inside is almost untouched. Should I bother adding pics??
Old 14 January 2008, 12:51 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

PM'd you.
Old 14 January 2008, 01:08 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Ed, I looked at these last year and whilst you only tend to here about the negative aspects you should check rear diffs/axles as these apparently have a tendency to go bang. Some further research on Mudclub may help you out but also ensure that the LPG conversion has been carried out by a reputable dealer as there is a lot of tat out there.
Old 14 January 2008, 05:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mates mate had one a few months now,petrol, 1k's worth - he gets as much as 22 mpg on a run

Last edited by dpb; 14 January 2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 14 January 2008, 05:38 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Missues had a 4.0 petrol grand cherokee Auto for a while, and it was horrendous on petrol. I dont normally take any notice of MPG, but couldnt help but notice it in the jeep.

Its a 4.0l with not very clever engineering or electronics and we averaged 16mpg at best (trip computer). Around town it was down to single digit MPG. Honestly shocking MPG. Apart from the MPG loved it and allot of bang for your buck.
Old 15 January 2008, 09:31 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask - as its a 4x4 is it higher road tax?
Old 15 January 2008, 11:27 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask - as its a 4x4 is it higher road tax?
just got my tax renewal through for our '98 grand cherokee, £180 for 12 months. cheap to insure too, costs me less than £200 tpf&t with protected no claims. has a drinking habit a lot worse than the wrx's ive had, mush better for the dog tho
Old 15 January 2008, 11:41 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I got quote for a 4L limited and its only an extra £37 to change it from my Golf Driver.

Only thing that puts me off is the fuel costs but its just for fun during the summer until I've got enough dosh for another scooby.

Old 15 January 2008, 12:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I got quote for a 4L limited and its only an extra £37 to change it from my Golf Driver.

Only thing that puts me off is the fuel costs but its just for fun during the summer until I've got enough dosh for another scooby.

With its penchant (sp) for the amber nectar, you wont come close to saving any money for a new scoob

i did some comparisons on a pajero diesel and the scoob a while back

if i recall

Scooby 2.0 50 ltr tank average 400 miles ..36mpg roughly £52.50 a week

Pajero 2.8D 100ltr tank average 400miles.. 18mpg roughly £108.00 a week

eek was the operative word

Mart
Old 15 January 2008, 01:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Not too clever then

I'm lucky to do 40 miles in a month at the moment in the Golf. Although I'll be taking the jeep on long-ish runs for the rallycross season.

I've put a bid on for one on fleebay so we'll see what happens.

If I can't cope with its thirst I can always sell it on later. The scoob fund is looking bleak already, my 1/8 Rallycross car stands me at close to a grand let alone a full season.
Old 15 January 2008, 04:11 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i had a 95 4.0L for a couple of years. I replaced it with a saab 900 turbo and could get more stuff in the saab tbh.
it had leaf springs on the rear and when you went off road you bloody well knew it.
25mpg on a long run @75mph in permanent 4wd

what did i like?
quite high up.
comfy seats
sounded gorgeous
when you put your foot down at 'green', you better hope the guy in front doesn't stall! there is no hesitating with 200bhp and all that torque - you just go!
air con is quick and effective - brrrr
servicing was nightmare expensive
Old 15 January 2008, 04:16 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
it had leaf springs on the rear and when you went off road you bloody well knew it.
Already looked at 4" lift kits

After the bullet holes, I'm going to get some spotlights, lots of chrome stuff, a winch and possibly change my name to Lee Majors.
Old 15 January 2008, 04:19 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

lol

Old 19 January 2008, 04:06 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Bought a 1999 (V) Jeep Cherokee today

Black 4L Limited auto with beige leather interior. 67K, 3 previous owners. Just had full service inc belts, fluids and front pads/discs.

£1575 inc 5 months tax. 6 months MOT.

Picking up tomorrow. Quite excited.

HMMMMM Beige
Old 19 January 2008, 11:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Looks nice,

nowt wrong with the interior

Mart
Old 20 January 2008, 02:54 AM
FerryScoob
Scooby Regular

I have a Grand Cherokee 4.0l that has a Lovato LPG conversion. i get 180miles for £20 of gas.
Old 18 February 2008, 04:35 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

A month on

Not polished but quite clean all the same.

Well its been a month since we picked up the Jeep and to be fair I was expecting to be chained to a fuel pump but its not been quite as bad as I thought. Don't get me wrong, if I plant it going up hill the current economy meter has dropped as 3.3mpg. Comes to a sad day when you and your misses are in competition to get the lowest figure

Picked it up on one of the worst weekends of the year. Rain, wind, hail and fog all assaulted us on the way home. My wife did a fine job driving from Monmouth to West Wales at night and has never driven on very busy motorway at night in driving way. Also neither of us have experience with automatics so I was very impressed she got it home safely. I add at this point when we picked it up I didn't even check if it had oil. Just jumped in and away.

The following day I thought the worst and started to think I had bought a lemon! It really didn't want to change gear. checked the dipstick for the autobox and it was bone dry and smelled of burning - oh dear what have I done.

3!!! litres of box oil later and all was fine. I'm waiting for a replacement filter and the whole lot is going to be changed.

Its electric everything and my wife was having great fun moving the seat back and forth. When I tried to move it back for my legs it stopped and refused to move at all. Spent an hour hoiking out the seat to find one wire was too short and needed an extension to prevent the lead becoming disconnected. I'm not overly tall but the wire only just poked out the carpet. I can only assume its only ever been driven by people under 5 and half foot.

I noticed the rear tyres were on there way out so ordered a new rear pair at £45 each. Not bad for the size. However when ordering I ordered the wrong size. Instead of 225/70/15 I ordered 225/75/15. Fortunately you can select 2WD so had to order another to and go back 2 days later to change the fronts - had intended to do this anyway to get 4 new ones to prevent wind up of the centre diff.

The last job for now was a new exhaust backbox and pipe. Someone had gone to great lengths to take the original one off, cut a bit of metal, shape the metal to the shape of the box and then weld said bit of metal to plug up a hole. The I would have understood had the exhaust been expensive and warrented the couple of hours required to patch it up. £40 lonline later and I bought a new exhaust ready to go on. Very easy to do and as I don't intend towing I removed the tow hitch and brace which must weigh at least 30KG.

So apart from a few niggles, its been a fine purchase. Its like the anti-tardis , massive on the outside and quite small on the inside. Drives ok, doesn't handle by any means but its actually quite quick. Floor it and the whole thing lurches forward, the engine roars at you and everybody inside jumps and holds on to something.

Due to its drinking habits we've nicknamed it Oliver.

Last edited by EddScott; 18 February 2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 18 February 2008, 06:56 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I had an old shaped one about a year ago. The 2.5 manual.

Pretty awful to be honest. Terrible build quality and really not fun to drive over 50. Never used it in anger, but I have since had a Isuzu Trooper and it was so much better in every department. other than thirst.
Old 18 February 2008, 10:15 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Outdragged a 4.0L in 6th gear whilst fully laden with a roofbox on the German autobahn last month. Crept past him whilst both accelerating from 60 - 120ish. He wasn't best pleased. He'd have been even less pleased if I had been bothered enough to drop a cog or two
Old 18 February 2008, 10:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Outdragged a 4.0L in 6th gear whilst fully laden with a roofbox on the German autobahn last month. Crept past him whilst both accelerating from 60 - 120ish. He wasn't best pleased. He'd have been even less pleased if I had been bothered enough to drop a cog or two

In?
Old 18 February 2008, 10:22 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
In?
Passat estate. 2.0T
Old 18 February 2008, 10:26 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Not too much of a shock

I'd say the Cherokee - the one I had, is in the top 5 worst cars I've owned/driven.

And I've owned a lot of rubbish bangers

A plastic 4x4 in my opinion. I'm sure the 2nd gen is better, it has to be.
Old 19 February 2008, 09:41 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Fortunately I didn't buy the Jeep for performance so I won't be caught in a drag races LOL. It sits quite happily at 70 on the motorway with cruise on and isn't overly loud in the cabin.

Bought it to play around in and cart all my RC gear to the track. For £1575 I'm not fussed on the build quality although I thought it all seems quite hard wearing inside. Mines certainly clean enough. Servicing and parts are very cheap too.

Its not german thats for sure and theres a reason something so big as this and relatively young is only £1575.

However, I think its quite cool which is enough