Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

R32 / Audi s3 / A3 v6 quattro sport?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2007, 01:05 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R32 / Audi s3 / A3 v6 quattro sport?

Anyone got any experience of the above.

Mainly how they fare against each other, and if there are any real differences between the old shape and new shape versions (from a driving point of view).

I always been put off by VAGs in general because they feel too disconnected to drive (overassisted steering, little feedback, numb brakes etc). Just wondering if I could put up one of the above as a daily driver.

R32 would be nice...but essentially its a V6 quattro sport, so do they drive any differently?

Not sure if I could live with an S3, as I don't really want another turbo powered car, but I'll float the idea, before I start messing about with test drives and stuff to convince me otherwise.

The head says R32, but the heart says Alfa 147 v6 GTA pity they are only FWD
Old 05 December 2007, 01:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Personal preference of course, but I'd go for the S3. I take it you mean the new version?

If yes, then it's a fastest and sportiest of the 3 you mention. Will hold it's value better too.
Old 05 December 2007, 01:18 PM
Manni
BANNED

For me the Audi A3 V6 offers the best value for money especially if you are looking at one that's done some depreciating.

I've never driven an R32 MKV only the A3 3.2 and it was not a sports car or even a particularly sporty drive. It was VERY nice though, quick without feeling it and lovely interior. A real street sleeper as well if that's your thing because it looks like it could be a 1.9 diesel from the outside. Steering was detached but brakes felt great and when I looked at the discs couldn't believe the size of them.

Reckon the R32 is gonna lose a wodge of cash and the S3 be in a different performance wise. I'd take the S3 anyday the new 2.0turbo is nothing like as laggy as the old 1.8 and remapped you'll be over 300bhp and getting better MPG.
If you have the cash then the S3 is easily the best bet, although an outside choice could be a used 2.0T A3 Quattro.
Old 05 December 2007, 01:26 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

With the way prices are: It's most likely to be an old shape s3. So the laggy 1.8 isn't going to win someone who's outgrown the power delivery of turbo'd engines

Actually, scrub the idea of the S3 altogether TBH.
Old 06 December 2007, 12:43 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had a 3.2 S-Line for over 3 years now. It is pretty much what you describe above. Lacks any kind of feedback, although I last compared it to a Cayman, so that's not really fair. Brakes are stunning mind, but I appear to sometimes get inconsistent servo assistance - but that might be down to driving another car as well.
As a daily drive, that would depend on what you want and what kind of traffic/roads you encounter. For me, stuck on the M62/M1/M621 each morning in to Leeds, I can't fault it, even more so as I have DSG. A manual might be a bit heavy.
I think it's a good all rounder. Something you can have a bit of fun in, but also drive the length of the A1 and not have headache at the end of it.
Old 06 December 2007, 01:45 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

R32 all the way, I had a mk4 and I loved it, the way it looked, sounded, performed and it's quality.
Never broke down although had to have bulbs replaced every 6 months and they are expensive to run.

Great cars and I don't know where the comment about them losing a wodge of cash comes from. I sold mine earlier this year for £15k and it was 3.5yrs old. It cost about £23k new so lost about 35% in this time That's brilliant next to most cars, so don't worry about that and to be honest if all you worry about is the cars depreciation it will seriously limit your options anyway, none will make you money after all.

The mk4 looks better than the others as well but somehow manages to look discreet yet very purposeful. Not so sure of the mk5 or I would have probably bought one

My suggestion is find a low milage, fully serviced one that has had the front discs recently replaced (they are bloody expensive!) and snap it up. You will not be disappointed.Oh and another thing you won't need to use the radio because all you will do is listen to that lovely narrow angle V6 burble all day long, mine had the uprated stereo in it and I hardly used it!

Against the old S3 the R32 wins easy but I would agree that if you were looking at the new models then the S3 is the only choice.
Old 06 December 2007, 02:21 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that guys.

The budget is about the £15 to £16K mark. So it does rule out the new shape stuff excepting the A3 v6 sport.

It will be replacing an e46 325 auto touring. Which is starting to annoy me - super practicle, lovely noise, good feedback and control weighting, but nervous and wobbly handling, I hate the autobox, its a bit on the slow side and isn't helped by it not being very brilliant on fuel - which is a kick in the nads when the 330 diesel is faster and better on fuel!

After that, its got to be something I'll enjoy driving on the general commute and I'm struggling on practicle options....