Clio V6 - Cool or OTT?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2007, 08:15 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clio V6 - Cool or OTT?

Renault : Renault Clio V6 3.0 2002

As the title suggests really, cool or OTT? I'm really torn.. Part of me likes the fact it's so incredibly overstated, but another part of me thinks it looks massively chavvy.

Also find the idea of having the engine where the rear seats are supposed to be very appealing.. And RWD of course. Don't think they're that quick off the line (6.5 to 60 I think), but I reckon it might be good fun to drive.

Thoughts?
Old 25 November 2007, 08:22 PM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

Not stupid quick, but definitely Cool. And OTT. More on the cool side though.
Old 25 November 2007, 09:18 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Have a read of the review on parkers, I was showing the wife last week and she says - "well we won't have one of them then" and I'm - "I want one now!!"

slashes its level of practicality to such an extent that you'll have to be creative just to get your weekly shopping home.

This is an car for the enthusiast (you'd have to be to spend this much on a Clio) and not suitable for the inexperienced driver as it's much more challenging to drive than the almost-as-quick Renaultsport 182. It's one of those cars that makes the world a more exciting place - well done Renault.

pushing this engine to it's red line makes music for the ears of any car nut

traction control is not fitted so this car can scare the ******* out of you as much as an old Porsche 911

this is one of the least practical cars you can buy
Old 25 November 2007, 09:49 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

uber cool in my opinion. They're not chavvy at all due to the fact that no chav can possibly afford one.

As said not massively quick, but so much road prescence. Head turning absolutely guaranteed.

Haven't seen one for a while actually
Old 25 November 2007, 09:56 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Very cool in a 'could kill you at any second' way.

I'd have one
Old 25 November 2007, 10:23 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

Sold mine yesterday and bought an WRX STI 8.

Clio V6 summed up in my ownership opinion.

Speed - Slow
Noise - Insane
Handling - my Punto handles better
Servicing - Cambelt + 36k was £1100 and thats at mates rates, stealers = £1500+
Insurance - £2100 for the V6, STI 8 is £752, a Ferrari 355 is cheaper to insure than the V6
How practical - ... ... ... *laugh*

Would I own another? hell yes never had a car with such road appeal
Old 25 November 2007, 10:29 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Stupid cool.

The anti-Impreza/Evo.

Trending Topics

Old 25 November 2007, 10:38 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

slashes its level of practicality to such an extent that you'll have to be creative just to get your weekly shopping home.

This is an car for the enthusiast (you'd have to be to spend this much on a Clio) and not suitable for the inexperienced driver as it's much more challenging to drive than the almost-as-quick Renaultsport 182. It's one of those cars that makes the world a more exciting place - well done Renault.

pushing this engine to it's red line makes music for the ears of any car nut

traction control is not fitted so this car can scare the ******* out of you as much as an old Porsche 911

this is one of the least practical cars you can buy
Well thats me sold
seriously cool car
astraboy.
Old 26 November 2007, 12:28 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I saw one a few months back and thought may a good replacement for my (aging) NSX.

Until after some digging I found out...the NSX is slightly lighter, equally as fast, better handling and has already depreciated to its lowest level.

I went off the idea and bought a Monaro instead, that's not replaced the NSX either...as it's even less practicle.
Old 26 November 2007, 10:23 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ISTR one of the Chrises on here has one. Wasn't it the Mk1 was a pig to handle, the Mk2 was better so more fun?

I glanced at them, it looked like they were trying to relive the old Gordinis but didn't quite manage to make the equivalent modern-day impact. Too many other good cars around, as above.
Old 26 November 2007, 11:07 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

That'll be me

Well I bought one a couple of months ago - maddest, most insane car I've ever bought

MK1s are totally different to MK2s - MK1 handling is very tricky and not much fun. It WILL kill you if you're not careful!

MK2 is a lot more sorted and therefore much more expensive! Handling has been sorted and it is a lot of fun. Sticks to the road like glue and when you play around with the tyre pressures it gives you quite a decent amount of feedback through the steering (more than a Scoob). They have bags of grip and really you shouldn't be exploring those limits on a public road - go past that limit and it is not that progressive.

They are unforgiving cars and you do need to learn to drive properly. They won't flatter you like a Scoob / Evo. It requires precise inputs and a nod to sensibility - it is after all, a short wheel base, RWD, mid engined car with 255 bhp and no traction control! That means you do take it easy when the conditions are a little bit greasy. It is a heavy car too (1400kg), but any car that does 0-60 in just over 5 seconds and tops out at just over 150mph isn't my definition of slow. There is bags of torque which makes it a nice car for over taking too.

Plus points: A lot of fun, the noise (especailly with an induction kit - you don't need to worry about replacing the exhaust on MK2s!) - very rare. You are driving a true exotic, mid engined mini-supercar Starting up random conversations at petrol stations, getting looks and thumbs up from other drivers - even those driving quite exotic machinery. Lots of cool names involved with it: OZ wheels, AP brakes, Porsche developed engine management, built by Renaultsport / Alpine

MPG is OK, about the same as my Scoobs and better than my RX8! Mk2s are holding their prices quite well at the moment. There have been quite a few written off, so this should make the remainng ones worth more! I drive mine everyday to work - it is very docile, with a light clutch and precise gearbox. Noise levels are OK if you are being sensible. A long 6th gear means it will cruise on the motorway at about 80mph at just over 3K RPM.

Minus points: Seats are OK, but could be improved (they come from the Clio 182). Many people fit the Recaros from the Clio Cup (I think I will do this). Not a huge amount of practicallity, but I've done weekends away with the other half, trips to the dump etc etc. Ride is firm and they sit very low - watch out for speed humps and tight car parks. Steering lock to lock is terrible (look for Clarkson's quote on oil tankers having better turning circles!), but I haven't found this to be a massive issue yet. Build quality is pretty good as the cars (esp MK2s) are practically hand built, but you do still have Renault electrics! Well documented issues on ignition coils, but easily solved and can be replaced for around £30 each.

Other things? Well insurance for me (old bugger at 36), with Class 1 business, 10000 miles a year and a sensible excess was just over £700 - only about £100 more than the RX8. All V6s come with RAC Trackstar.

Servicing is not bad - the biggy as mentioned is the cambelt, which is every 5 years / 75K miles, so bear that in mind. Bodywork is expensive to replace aswell, which mean a lot that have been in fairly minor prangs get Cat 'd - so do an HPI check. There are some good independents around though so you don't have to pay Renault main dealer prices.

More info, check out V6 Clio.net - there are always some good examples for sale on Pistonheads - talk to John at Rims Performance Cars - mine came from there. You pay a bit more but he has some of the best examples in the UK.

Is it mad? Yes, OTT? Probably? Cool? I think so. I took the view that they were one of those mad cars that it was good to say you've owned. In my fantasy garage, if I'm honest, there aren't too many cars that I am actually going to be in a position to own - the V6 Clio was however one that I could, so I wasn't going to pass up this opportunity!

Chris

Edit to look at the car Probein has seen. I would be wary - that is a MK1 and 5 years old, so the cambelt is due. It doesn't mention in the ad that it has been done (and people always do, as it is a big job), so I would assume it hasn't been.

Last edited by Chris L; 26 November 2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 26 November 2007, 11:17 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Here's mine

Old 26 November 2007, 11:26 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

err chris, when do i get my test drive?
Old 26 November 2007, 11:43 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

- When I'm next up in Herts mate!
Old 26 November 2007, 12:33 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

This was mine that I sold on Saturday for the Scooby and Merc replacement combo

and now to make you all think there all uncool!

Tim Westwood

and the replacement cars

The Merc SL55 AMG with F1 pack is quicker than the WRX STI by a long shot, 0-62 in under 4 secs but still limited to 185mph.

Old 26 November 2007, 12:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So wrong, but so right !

More distinctive than most Supercars.
Old 26 November 2007, 01:30 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

They are the seats to fit - Not cheap though!
Old 26 November 2007, 08:26 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Renault Clio V6 SuperCharged (Kompressor)

I want this one.

Last edited by Probein; 26 November 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 26 November 2007, 08:35 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

that charged one is mikeT's one from cliosport its some piece of kit,over 400 bhp from a MK1 and sequential box.I seen it in the metal once 2 years ago at a clio meet when i had dimma clio

Last edited by exvaux; 26 November 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 26 November 2007, 09:07 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

I love them. Totally ott in the looks department for what is/was a basic shopping car! You don't realise quite how big and chunky they are until you're right on top of one. Renault really shouldn't have done it, but thank god they did!

As a weekend toy i'd rather have the "original", the oldskool 5 Turbo/Turbo 2 (and I will do one day soonish). But as an every day car, you can't really use the 5.

Last edited by Billgtt; 27 November 2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 26 November 2007, 09:13 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Very true Bill! The width is something to be careful of - the air intake pods make it a very wide car (almost as wide as a Range Rover at the back, so beware of width restrictors!)
Old 26 November 2007, 09:33 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

MK2 for me although as much as i like them i would never buy one.
Old 29 November 2007, 01:20 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

I've been chewing over one of these for ages now.... Damn you Chris and in the colour I want to

Originally Posted by Chris L
Here's mine

Old 03 December 2007, 01:35 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Old 03 December 2007, 02:03 PM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

Cool for me!
Old 03 December 2007, 06:23 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Cracking cars & the best sounding one I have been in.
Old 03 December 2007, 10:04 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Yeah they do sound great - if I get a chance. I'll do a sound recording and post it up.
Old 03 December 2007, 10:14 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Sub zero, but I would never want to own one.
Old 06 December 2007, 10:01 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Tim Westwood aside, cool.
Old 07 December 2007, 03:28 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Not read al the thread but the V6 Clio is a great looking car (second generation....cant remember which year they were) but are they worth the premium over the 182 and not delivering the premium performance?

I wanted to get one but the wife wouldnt let me....got a Z3M instead.....much better car although its been written off since!!

OTT!!!

Get an E30 M3 (biased as I have one)

Quick Reply: Clio V6 - Cool or OTT?