Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Calibra 2.5 V6 - any experience ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2007, 08:45 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calibra 2.5 V6 - any experience ?

As above, looking at getting a Calibra and there are quite a few V6 ones about. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them, whats fuel economy like, any niggles mechanically etc.

Cheers
James
Old 22 November 2007, 11:16 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine had the turbo model and he said it was complete rubbish
Old 22 November 2007, 12:05 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

thanks for that helpful input

Seriously though I had an 8v before my scoob and I loved it, still one of the sexiest looking cars on the road today in my opinion and economy was decent enough on that and cheap enough to repair if needed.

Just after opinions on the v6 as I have seen one and I am tempted. Otherwise it will be the 2.0 16v red top engine
Old 22 November 2007, 12:10 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a 2ltr 16v one.

To be very honest it was awfull and I just hated it.

In their day nice to look at - which was one of the reasons why I bought it.

But, on journeys greater than 30 minutes I had the most uncomfortable back.

Longer journeys my back was sore at the end of it.

I spent 3 months trying to like it, and nearly 6 months trying to get rid of it.

Static was a nightmare, every time I got out of it I was fully charged.
Back then it was key in door to operate central locking - you could actually see the static arcing between the key and the lock at you approaced, then BANG!
Huge blast of static right up the arm.

Don't buy one, you've been warned.

Shaun
Old 22 November 2007, 12:47 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

thanks Shaun ,
I will be buying one as said previously owned an 8v, never experienced static and I travel daily over 30 mins ast a time and never had any problems with comfort (was just a cloth trim interior whether you had that or leather)
Get static in the wifes peugot though!!

Ideally I am after the real world economy // performance figures for the v6 as I am changing from the scoob due to a change in circumstances and I cant justify the running costs of it at the moment. I can info from the web but they arent what I would really class at real world.
Old 22 November 2007, 01:01 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Dont get a red top 16v, the heads easily warp!!!!!
Most turbos 4x4 are now front drive only, there is a local lad whos calibre spins its front wheels all day long, and its got 4x4 written on the back, the trannies ate made of chocolate!!!!!
Old 22 November 2007, 01:05 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I am with Shaun on this one..... great to look at (in it's day) but woeful to own.
Old 22 November 2007, 01:06 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Used to have a 2.5 V6 24 valve Cavalier, many years ago. Peach of an engine, sounds good and was quick even in auto form. Used to chirp the wheels into second quite easily, traction control was your friend. Mine was quite new when I had it but didn't have any problems.

Can't remember fuel consumption but don't think it was anything horrific. Some parts can be expensive, plug leads etc. Would choose the 2.5 everyday over the 2 ltr.

Handling though was a different story.

Allan
Old 22 November 2007, 01:32 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Dont get a red top 16v, the heads easily warp!!!!!
Most turbos 4x4 are now front drive only, there is a local lad whos calibre spins its front wheels all day long, and its got 4x4 written on the back, the trannies ate made of chocolate!!!!!
Cheers, It is only the earlier redtop heads that were porous, they changed the casting process for later ones (think 1994 onwards)
wouldnt get a 4x4 version as they are terrible for tyre wear as well!
The gearboxes themselves are generally quite strong, just the transfer cases on the 4x4, and the diffs
Old 22 November 2007, 01:38 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllanP
Handling though was a different story.

Allan
thanks Allan, lol at the handling, barge springs to mind!!!

Im not after a sporty car at the moment Im after something that has a bit of go in a straight line, is more economical than the scoob and has decent boot space. Lot of my mileage is motorways hardly any a roads and probably no b roads whatsoever
Old 22 November 2007, 01:54 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Im not after a sporty car at the moment Im after something that has a bit of go in a straight line, is more economical than the scoob and has decent boot space. Lot of my mileage is motorways hardly any a roads and probably no b roads whatsoever
I don't see how you take those requirements and arrive and a Vauxhall Calibra 2.5. Horses for courses I suppose
Old 22 November 2007, 02:59 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
I don't see how you take those requirements and arrive and a Vauxhall Calibra 2.5. Horses for courses I suppose
lol, what I class as sporty is a car with good allround abilities, I cant afford a decent car that fills that criteria and for the criteria I need, the calibra suits me, its just which engine.
Old 22 November 2007, 03:06 PM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

My brother in law had a 2.0 16V With full leather and he loved it to bits and he always says that if he add to downgrade from the scoobster he'd get another but it will be hard to find one that's in mint condition.
Old 22 November 2007, 06:43 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by killerscoob
My brother in law had a 2.0 16V With full leather and he loved it to bits and he always says that if he add to downgrade from the scoobster he'd get another but it will be hard to find one that's in mint condition.
quite a lot out there to be honest, I was surprised when I started looking. There are quite a few dogs as well, but it is a 10yr+ old car
Old 22 November 2007, 07:00 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

i remember getting a test drive in one,many years ago.was going to trade in my vw corrado or that was the plan.to be honest i only we'nt a couple of hundred yards in the vauxhall and turned back,thats all it took to know it was a heap.it was'nt a patch on the corrado.
salesperson did'nt know what to say
Old 22 November 2007, 07:01 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

i would go for the v6 over any other calibra engine they are far more reliable not to mention the sound.
when i worked at vauxhall i changed a few coil packs and water pumps and had the heads of a v6 once due to a broken cambelt,apart from that it was just routine service stuff.
in my experience the 16 valve lumps were always in bits for one reason or another.
for normal driving there was not that much difference in mpg compared to the 2ltr,but they are juicy if you are right footed
Old 22 November 2007, 07:03 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cheers johnny thats kind of answer im looking for
Old 22 November 2007, 07:19 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

I had the Cavalier V6 24V for seven months (interim vehicle after the scoob). The engine was a peach and the brakes were superb for a car of this genre, this can easily be chipped to 200 bhp and I still have fond memories of it.

Only lost £50 on the resale!

Nik
Old 22 November 2007, 07:56 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Got to love the utterly uninformed opinions about the Cally turbo and the 'chocolate' TX box.

As a former turbo owner and Mod on Clubcalibra.net I might be able to give a more balanced opinion.

The 2.5 V6 in stock form has 170bhp. The big thing that people notice about them is the HUGE 3rd gear - it just keeps going and going...

The one thing that immediately springs to mind is the rear bank of sparks - no bugger ever swaps these as you have to pop the manifold off.

They are smooth and generally will be good for 30mpg (ish).

There's a buyers guide lurking somewhere on .net - I'll ask after it and post you a link
Old 22 November 2007, 08:11 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cheers Kieran, I have joined clubcalibra last night and made my first post in what is the best to buy, from general reading I feel the v6 is the one to go for as from what I have read (on internet and clubcalibra) you can get well over 30mpg whist is nearly double what Im getting in the scoob and it is in my opinion still one of the sexiest looking cars on the road
Old 22 November 2007, 08:12 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to add to that last post, I have got a tuning guide for the V6 nd you can get good gains from some very basic mods (cold air feed etc)
Old 22 November 2007, 08:23 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cold air feed is a cracking thing to do - good use for towing eye cover. Basic change, all you need is some pipe work from B&Q and duck tape (the bumper pops off in 30 seconds flat)

A couple of guys have enclosed the air filter in a coffee tin and fixed that to the pipe to cold feed - that really negates all the warm air in the engine

I've seen a v6 with over 200 brake - I loved the Cally turbo but the V6 always sounded better
Old 22 November 2007, 09:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Would love to see a 12 year old V6 get a regular 30 mpg, maybe at 56 mph with a following wind.

You seem to want to only listen to what you want to hear, they were not that great in their day, they looked good and are still a nice shape but have dated a lot, now most are rusty old sheds, or bazzed to death, when all said and done its a Cavalier, I have just sold a Saab 9-3 that had a much modified Cavalier chassis and that handled pretty badly.

I appreciate you don't have a big budget to work with and want something quick and a bit different but I think the consensus is that you could do better, I would personally recommend a Celica of a similar age as a better bet, the 2.0 gt will be as quick as the Calibra or very nearly and probably feel sportier/handle better, avoid the 1.8 its pretty slow, a Honda Prelude would be a better choice also. The VR6 Corrado is nice but has too much classic status bestowed on it for it to be well priced, even when ancient and high on miles.

If you are intent on a Calibra, just dont buy the first you see, there will be a mint original low miler somewhere !

We arent here to slag them off, just want to help you buy a decent motor.
Old 22 November 2007, 10:26 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cheers J4cko for your input, I know its what I want as I have previously owned 1 before my scoob and I really enjoyed it. I know there are sheds out there but there are also plenty of really good condition ones. The good thing is if anything does need doing parts are plentiful and cheap and upgrading is cheap enough to do as well.
The reason for this post was re the V6 in particular, there is such a wide varied bunch of people on here that I was after peoples opinions who had driven//owned the V6 and what their impression was. I like to think that although it is a predominately subaru forum that people arent blinkered to the one marque.
I mean the scoob isnt the best car I have owned, I would rate an old metro gta in my younger days as a more fun car, likewise I would say that a chipped nissan bluebird turbo (box shape) was probably the best car I have had, that had blacked out windows, peco big bore 4but it was in the days of rs turbos and it was hilarious when I used to leave them for dust!, its also not the fastest i have owned either, that honour belongs to a uk sunny gtir that would leave a lot of scoobs in its wake (in a straight line anyway), although I will admit the scoob is probably the best allround car
Old 22 November 2007, 10:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have learnt that sometimes, when you go back to something, your perception and standards change over the years but the impression you had at the time stays, hence its easy to end up disappointed, I did it with an Audi A6, had an Audi 100 and loved it in the early nineties, a guy at work was selling an as new A6 (old shape, based on 100) and I was keen but drove it and it brought back memories but I really didnt want the car, it just felt old and lethargic with crap suspension, the engine was a V6, I am sure my 2.0 manual felt quicker.

Post some pictures when you buy one, but please not a Yellow one or one with an auto box and beige leather, the light blue was yak as well. Grey is the best colour for them the trendy (at the time) colours date them.

Custard Yellow t5 Volvos still look ace though for some reason ?
Old 22 November 2007, 11:51 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Post some pictures when you buy one, but please not a Yellow one or one with an auto box and beige leather, the light blue was yak as well. Grey is the best colour for them the trendy (at the time) colours date them.

Custard Yellow t5 Volvos still look ace though for some reason ?
dont worry, it wont be yellow or the light blue (that is so wrong) the midnight blue is nice though and it wont be an auto. It will either be a midnight blue, black (looks a bit pimpish though with black leather as well ) red, or even a dtm v6 or 16valve in white

I know what you mean about the t5's though, yellow doesnt look right on many cars, but lambos and volvos can get away with it
Old 23 November 2007, 12:13 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

You would have to be mentally insane to buy one over a VW Carrado in my view still a very sweet looking car that has "aged" a lot better then the calibra.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:55 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

VW corrado, - rocking, rare, as, horse, s hit, as rearrange
Old 23 November 2007, 12:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
VW corrado, - rocking, rare, as, horse, s hit, as rearrange
They arent that hard to find, good ones maybe but they are out there, trouble is, 8 valves are a bit slow, 16 valves a bit quicker but still not that fast, VR6's tend to be overpriced or ruined and the G60 is a risky purchse unless you know what you are doing.
Old 23 November 2007, 12:26 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

G60 with a jabbasport re-built charger and smaller pulley a cracking buy !!

Quick Reply: Calibra 2.5 V6 - any experience ?