Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles
View Poll Results: Which family car for under £9k?
Mondeo
52.38%
Vectra
4.76%
Laguna
0%
Octavia
26.19%
Other
16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Need a new family car

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2007, 03:01 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new family car

With 2 kids under three years old we need to change my wifes car. She currently has a 53 reg Megane 5 door hatchback, 1.6, full leather with 17" alloys. Been a good car - very little has gone wrong with it but we need something bigger.

Currently looking at 05 plate cars and newer:

1) Last model Mondeo 5 door
2) Vectra 5 door
3) Skoda Octavia
4) Laguna 5 door or sports touring (estate)

Not wanting to send more than say £8k-9k.

You can get some real bargains with the laguna (saw one at a dealer for £8k - it was a 05 plate touring (estate) with 18k miles, full leather, sat nav, etc) - but they can go wrong.

Not that keen on the dash on the mondeo - but probably one of the best driving cars. However, given I've got the Scooby then it's more saftey and space that really counts. Not wanting to go into the MPV space.

Skoda looks a good bet for reliability and prices don't look too bad.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Richard.
Old 11 November 2007, 03:12 PM
air.mech23
Scooby Regular

I would have said a mondeo. I dont have kids so cant comment from that point of view, but the mondeo estate can cope very nicely with dogs, 3 adults and carting stuff around on holidays.
Old 11 November 2007, 03:23 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Saab 9-3 estate or Jag X type estate?

Two of the models where I think the estate actually looks better than the saloon..
Old 11 November 2007, 03:39 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Ah - Saab 9-3 estate is an interesting shout. We had a Saab 900 years ago and cost a fortune to keep alive but we were probably unlucky. Wonder what sort of year we could get for that price - I'll have a look on autotrader.
Old 11 November 2007, 06:44 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Similar position and we bought a Signum.

Have done about 10,000 miles over the summer in it and it has been fantastic.
Old 12 November 2007, 07:59 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Forgot about the Signum - really like the looks too - away to have a search!
Old 12 November 2007, 09:53 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Skoda Superb is also worth a look - there are 05 plates for just less than £9k. Skoda's are probably no more reliable than VW's, and the dealers are getting worse.

If you're interested in Saabs, I'd also consider the 9-5. The saloon has a big boot (bigger than my old VW Passat), and loads of space in the back. 05 Estates can be had for less than £9k too.
Old 12 November 2007, 10:06 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

He really needs another hatchback with a family IMO.

I'm biased, but I just got myself a 53 plate Mondeo TDCI 130 last month and its great so far. Did a 200 mile run yesterday with mixed fast and slow driving and it returned 53 mpg
Old 13 November 2007, 06:03 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions - looks like Mondeo is getting a lot of the votes.

Pity the Superb isn't a hatchback as the Octavia is a little small (big boot but narrow car).
Old 13 November 2007, 10:33 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Honda Accord?

Might only get a 2 litre for your price range, but you'll get something a bit more stylish than a Mundano and it will never go wrong.

Get a test drive with a high spec model.
Old 14 November 2007, 07:55 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Yes, thought about the accord - but need a hatchback really and the honda estate is probably too big for my wife to feel comfortable driving.

Shame as they are nice cars.
Old 14 November 2007, 08:51 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

i was in exactly the same position till a couple 0f weeks ago, bought a subaru forester 2.0 x awp, admittedly it isnt as new as you are looking at, but is on an 03 plate, low mileage, and has all the toys, as well as loads of space for stuff, boot could be a bit bigger i suppose if im honest but still plenty of room for the pushchair and all other associated gubbins. ok to drive, not as much fun as my sti wagon though, obviously. the only thing against it, and i suppose it depends on your views, but it isnt particularly good on fuel, i struggle to get 200 miles out of 30 quid of petrol.
Old 14 November 2007, 09:02 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Mondeo is best to drive, cheapest to run, has plenty of space, massive choice of car/spec/colour combos.

With your budget I'd go for a 155 diesel with high trim level.

edit to add: for example

2005 FORD MONDEO 2.2TDCi 155 ST 4dr Diesel Saloon

Price:
£8,995

ono. No Canvasers
Features:

* 55,000 miles
* Manual
* INK BLUE
* Diesel
* Saloon
* 2198 cc

Full Description:

Glossary of Terms

Manual, 55,000 miles, Ink Blue. Xenon Lights, Privacy Glass, Climate Control, Alarm, Alloy wheels, 6 CD Sony Audio with MP3 Input, Bluetooth Car Kit, Half Leather, Full Main Dealer Service History, Ford Direct Warranty until March 2008 which will transfer to the new owner. Great driving (155bhp & 400Nm torque)with 45mpg, all the toys you could ever want and room for the family. Recently had new break pads and front tyres. I have owned this car for the last 2 years (Ford owned the car before that) and it has been serviced regardless of cost. It is in fair condition and priced to sell quickly (try and find another 2005 model year one for less than £10K) but will accept sensible offers. £8,995. ono. No Canvasers

Last edited by NACRO; 14 November 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 14 November 2007, 09:21 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just bought an 04 tdci 130 estate for 4.5 k most of the gadgets youd want 91k miles - just run in ..!

If anything falls off theres a years warrenty with it
Old 14 November 2007, 09:41 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I would get a C-Max or a scenic. They are medium hatch size [as cheap to run as what you have] a doddle to manouver [similar to what you have] but gives you much more space than the megane, maybe similar to a mondeo.

I smoked a C-Max around the 'ring and it has a fantastic chassis, reassuring brakes and pin sharp steering, so it drives like a megane.

The winner IMO.

Enjoy your search
Old 14 November 2007, 09:50 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Loved my Octavia.Huuuge boot.Accepted bit short on legroom but so is every other one in his sector.No different to the A4 I had

We have an X trail now though and its rough tough inside for dirty kids ,big boot,leather electric seats,sat nav in fact everything for about 10k (and normally 2wd,low emissions,better than a lot of 'family' cars on that front etc etc) and the wife loves it
Old 14 November 2007, 10:53 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

WRX Sportwagon? Thats what I'd be looking at if I was swapping.

We have a new Civic which is great, but a bit out of the budget.
Old 14 November 2007, 10:59 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

He said wife's car, he already has a scoob
Old 14 November 2007, 12:13 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'd have gone for the Mondeo ST Derv Estate, but at the time I was looking there were none avaiable at that price.....and I had 8k and did not want to spend more.

Sometimes it's so easy to say, oh whats another 2k.
Old 14 November 2007, 12:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

The estate is a massive car though, sounds as if the capacious hatchback Mondeo will be enough for the needs of the original poster.
Old 14 November 2007, 12:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

looked into c-max also but discovered its just a taller focus with 5 seats - so yes an mpv ideal for family, i was looking for load carrier
Old 14 November 2007, 02:04 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
He said wife's car, he already has a scoob
Are wives not allowed to drive them then?

I'm looking at buying one alongside the Civic and both me and the mrs will use both of them.
Old 14 November 2007, 03:53 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Well, looks like it might be a Laguna Sport Touring.

Renault Laguna Sport Tourer (01 on) Review - Parker's

My wife likes the look better than the other options and safety and comfort are top of her list given it's to carry the family and she doesn't do many miles. Plus the Lagune estate isn't as big as the Mondeo or Vectra which for her is important (parking in multi-stories!) - though this one has parking sensors with help too.

We were in a main dealer today and they had a 56 plate 2ltr Extreme edition (17" alloys, sports seats, etc) with 11k miles on the clock. They would provide the full 3 year warrenty on it (which is important as even through the 05 face lift improved the reliability it can still be a big issue with Renaults - though my wifes Megane has been pretty much trouble free for 4 years), 1 year AA cover and want £8,400 for it. It was £17,500 new so it's lost over £9,000 in 9 months! Yikes!

We looked at a Scenic and loved the width (three proper seats in the back was great) but the boot was pretty small and we don't want to go to a Grand Scenic.

We're back tomorrow for a test drive and they've offered a fair trade-in price for the megane.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Last edited by Scotsman; 14 November 2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 14 November 2007, 03:54 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

The estate is a massive car though, sounds as if the capacious hatchback Mondeo will be enough for the needs of the original poster.
Agreed, the estate is massive. They are actually cheaper than the hatches I think, but just try parking it. The hatchback is bad enough to park compared to the phase 2 mondeo I had before.
Old 14 November 2007, 03:56 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

I dont know, you ask the scoobynet community which car to get and you go for the one that NOBODY voted for
Old 14 November 2007, 03:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scotsman

Renault Laguna Sport Tourer (01 on) Review - Parker's

My wife likes the look better than the other options and safety and comfort are top of her list given it's to carry the family and she doesn't do many miles. Plus the Lagune estate isn't as big as the Mondeo or Vectra which for her is important (parking in multi-stories!) - though this one has parking sensors with help too.

We were in a main dealer today and they had a 56 plate 2ltr Extreme edition (17" alloys, sports seats, etc) with 11k miles on the clock. They would provide the full 3 year warrenty on it (which is important as even through the 05 face lift improved the reliability it can still be a big issue with Renaults - though my wifes Megane has been pretty much trouble free for 4 years), 1 year AA cover and want £8,400 for it. It was £17,500 new so it's lost over £9,000 in 9 months! Yikes!

We looked at a Scenic and loved the width (three proper seats in the back was great) but the boot was pretty small and we don't want to go to a Grand Scenic.

We're back tomorrow for a test drive and they've offered a fair trade-in price for the megane.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Bargain , good luck
Old 14 November 2007, 04:01 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by rossyboy
I dont know, you ask the scoobynet community which car to get and you go for the one that NOBODY voted for
There's a reason nobody voted for it. That said if SWMBO is happy with it and the deal is right then good luck.
Old 14 November 2007, 04:04 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
- yes I did notice that

For a driving car and general ownership then the Mondeo ticks all the boxes and gets the best reviews - but it's my wife's car, she's mad on safety and prefers the Laguna looks - plus it's a more comfortable car inside. The deal we've been offered too is really very good.

If the car was for me then I'd get a diesel Mondeo without a doubt.
Old 14 November 2007, 04:04 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

There's more than one reason, but then I suppose someone would have to buy it eventually

Seriously though, it is cheap and even if it breaks now and again, you've got all that depreciation that you didnt pay out to fall back on (sort of)
Old 14 November 2007, 04:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Cant trust those Sassanachs

Quick Reply: Need a new family car