Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Freelander 2

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2007, 08:35 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freelander 2

I'm thinking of getting one, has anyone here got one already? if so is it any good?
Old 11 November 2007, 09:59 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

i work there so if your after any advice just ask me. the one to go for is the 2.2 diesel though, very well mated.
Old 11 November 2007, 10:13 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
i work there so if your after any advice just ask me. the one to go for is the 2.2 diesel though, very well mated.
Thanks, certainly agree that the diesel is best, just need to decide which spec. Seems like the higher specs are lots more money for not much more stuff.
Old 11 November 2007, 10:17 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Scoob
Thanks, certainly agree that the diesel is best, just need to decide which spec. Seems like the higher specs are lots more money for not much more stuff.

it all depends on what you want, i spoke to my local dealer not long ago and he told me that they sell off there cars after 3 months so you may be able to get a higher spec car for less money if you speak to them, i do know there is no discount that can be obtained from them, we only get 10% for working there. The HSE is a lovely motor but if you dont want all the gear and just want what is a very capable 4x4 then go for the s or se. There is a off road circuit at the plant and they use the disco on there to show you what they can do, the freelander can do exactly the same as the disco and trust me its bloody impressive. The build and general overhaul feel of the new feelander is streets ahead of the old one
Old 13 November 2007, 12:39 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

im driving one this week as my rr sport is in the shop
i still like the look of these and am quite imprest with the set up 4 cylinder deisel it pulls very well this one has a 6 speed manual box i dont like manuals but this one for what it is, works very well (ie not to short around town and 6for the motorways) id still test an auto tho.
i went to leeds droping my dad of the other day and got 39 mpg on the way back following him at 70 mph i got 30 on the way there and i normaly get 27 out the rr
in fact the only problem i have with this one is, its to car like ,and the one i have has crap interior

to sum up its a decent car ,but i love my rr
hope this helps
Old 13 November 2007, 09:39 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

The RR sport is a great looking car but it's not for me...need to consider the cost because if the new STI + PPP really equals 400BHP I will have to have one of those to replace my 03 STI. Freelander for daily use and STI for fun is looking like a really tempting combination.
Old 13 November 2007, 09:51 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

sounds like a good combo, i think the only thing to get me outa the rr is probably a top scooby, but im not ready to part with it yet i got it back today and love it more than i did yesterday
Old 16 November 2007, 09:23 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

we had an open day for the workers and i took all the rr out, i thought the sport supercharged was nice but not quick enough for anyone to like it over the diesel, the same with the vogue supercharged really, but the vogue diesel was like a totally different world, i can now see why they charge so much more for this car as its out of this world.

at the end of the day the freelander is a fantastic car and if you take it off road its as capable as the rest of the range. get one you wont be dissapointed
Old 16 November 2007, 11:52 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day the freelander is a fantastic car and if you take it off road its as capable as the rest of the range.
Of all the Soft Roaders I would pick the the Freelander 2 as the pick of the bunch. New engines great, high towing limit, quality cabin, just a little expensive against the competition and the higher up the range you go the sillier it gets. A Freelander 2 is not worth £30k+.

It can't in anyway match the Disco 3 or Range Rover off road though. It doesn't come close for axle articulation, RTi, ground clearance or break over angle. Most importantly of all for any off roader it does not have a low ratio transfer box which means it can forget anything other than a simple green lane and the odd bit off mud. Start getting anymore extreme and you need very low speed and high torque which calls for a low ratio box.
The Disco3 and RR have a low range reduction of around 3:1 giving much more control and three times the already massive torque.

Cheers
Lee
Old 17 November 2007, 12:16 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Of all the Soft Roaders I would pick the the Freelander 2 as the pick of the bunch. New engines great, high towing limit, quality cabin, just a little expensive against the competition and the higher up the range you go the sillier it gets. A Freelander 2 is not worth £30k+.

It can't in anyway match the Disco 3 or Range Rover off road though. It doesn't come close for axle articulation, RTi, ground clearance or break over angle. Most importantly of all for any off roader it does not have a low ratio transfer box which means it can forget anything other than a simple green lane and the odd bit off mud. Start getting anymore extreme and you need very low speed and high torque which calls for a low ratio box.
The Disco3 and RR have a low range reduction of around 3:1 giving much more control and three times the already massive torque.

Cheers
Lee
there is an off road course at the factory and the only thing the freelander cant do is the things were high ground clearance is needed, thats it. the people who run it say there is nothing in its class that can touch it and even some higher class stuff, yes you may say there bound to say that but its true. i will agree that they are expensive but at the end of the day its moved on from all the old spring suspension stuff like every pick up on the road today has.
Old 17 November 2007, 11:44 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

there is an off road course at the factory and the only thing the freelander cant do is the things were high ground clearance is needed, thats it. the people who run it say there is nothing in its class that can touch it and even some higher class stuff, yes you may say there bound to say that but its true. i will agree that they are expensive but at the end of the day its moved on from all the old spring suspension stuff like every pick up on the road today has.
I've not viewed the LR off road course but anyone who actually does off road or if you attend an off road course and even Land Rovers own courses you will realise how vital low range is. Hill climbs usually sort out 4X4's without low range, especially those with obstructions where you need slow speed and massive torque. The Freelander wouldn't stand a chance on something like this. YouTube - Jeep Liberty on the Moab Rim trail

The Jeep Patriot soft roader is pretty close to the Freelander on paper for off road ability. It's actually smaller than a 4 door Focus and comes with the VAG 2.0TD 140bhp Diesel for £17k. Not up to the build of the freelander but they will both tackle similar sorts of terrain. YouTube - 2007 Jeep Patriot, Offroad.

Add a bit more axle articulation, ground clearance and low range and you can tackle the sort of stuff soft roaders wouldn't dream of tackling.
YouTube - Jeep Liberty off road

As for leaf springs? Other than pickups I can't think of any other SUV that has them now. In fact many premium off roaders have now gone from coil springs to air springs to get back some axle articulation that you loose by going fully independant. Off road a good leaf spring and live axle can be a very good combination, you only have to watch an old Series 3 Land Rover or old Jeep Wrangler to see that, they are pants on road though.

Cheers
Lee
Old 17 November 2007, 11:52 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day if your going to spend over 20k on a car i dont think you'll be climbing everest the freelander is as capable off road as it is on it.
Old 17 November 2007, 12:17 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day if your going to spend over 20k on a car i dont think you'll be climbing everest the freelander is as capable off road as it is on it.
It is capable off road but not as capable as Land Rovers other products as you stated earlier. Many off road centres will only allow 4X4's without low range on their gentle routes.

You would be suprised at what vehicles turn up for off road days, some people have more money than sense. It's strange to see £70k Range Rovers stuck in mud holes or pushing aside tree branches.
My Jeep was over £20k but attends off road days on mud terrain tyres. I just keep it away from green lanes that have overhanging trees that destroy paintwork. You can get stick on cling film to protect the bottom of doors and the front end against stone chips and scratches. Jeep Privileges run good off road events that hopefully wont break your car. Jeep Privileges » Home Page . Land Rover also have their own schools and events and there are many off road centre's and owners clubs about.
I've attended a few Land Rover courses over the last ten years or so because we have a fleet of Defenders and Disco's at work. I now instruct employees on safe off road driving as we work in some very rough terrain.

Take the worry of damage away and it is more fun though, in my old 1966 Series 2A I didn't give a stuff, just didn't have the grunt for long hill climbs.

Cheers
Lee
Old 22 November 2007, 08:43 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your comments. I have ordered the Freelander now, don't get it until 1st March though. Went for the XS version in the end.
Old 22 November 2007, 11:42 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Scoob
Thanks for all your comments. I have ordered the Freelander now, don't get it until 1st March though. Went for the XS version in the end.

nice one mate, let me know what you think of it when you get it ok
Old 23 November 2007, 10:29 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

For that money you could have got a Pathfinder which is far better IMO.
Old 23 November 2007, 12:04 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Lee - You should see what the inlaws Jimny managed in our garden (5 acres, mostly quite rough). At least 60 degree slope with only the number plate ripped off.
Will get photos next time!
Jimnys look very silly but they are very good off road.

I really like the new Freelander but as usual, it's overpriced. I'd get an X Trail.
Old 23 November 2007, 07:36 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

I considered the pathfinder (too thirsty) and the x-trail (not enough head room and don't like design). For my purposes the Freelander ticks all the boxes and it's not that expensive IMHO.
Old 24 November 2007, 11:19 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Lee - You should see what the inlaws Jimny managed in our garden (5 acres, mostly quite rough). At least 60 degree slope with only the number plate ripped off.
Will get photos next time!
Jimnys look very silly but they are very good off road.

I really like the new Freelander but as usual, it's overpriced. I'd get an X Trail.
Yep I've been on a few off road days with some suzuki's along.

Lift them and fit bigger wheels and they are very good.

Have a look at these guys from your neck of the woods.

YouTube - Suzuki Cornwall Italian Job

Cheers
Lee