Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

10k to spend, what would you buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2007, 06:21 PM
98wrx_typeR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10k to spend, what would you buy ?

Dilema, I have approx 10k to buy a 'sensible' monster. Below is a short list of the cars I am looking out for. What would you buy for 10k ? Its got to be faster than what I have at the moment (impreza type r)

1. Nissan Skyline GTR 33 v spec
2. Mercedes Benz e55
3. Audi S8
4. Toyota Supra TT
5. Mitsubishi Evo 6 (oh my god, did I just mention the 'dark side' ! )

ok, im looking for the fastest in a straight line. i have thought of some other cars too, please add your input...

6. TVR Cerbera
7. TVR Chimera
8. And again TVR Griffith

As for my Type R its already sold, the buyer collects in 3 weeks, its been fully paid for too !!

Last edited by 98wrx_typeR; 03 November 2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: more informantion
Old 03 November 2007, 06:39 PM
midas303
Scooby Regular

Have you not thought of having a forged engine and big turbo on the typr r.

Either a six speed or dog box, wouldn't cost 10k and would leave all your alternatives for dead...
Old 03 November 2007, 06:51 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

depends what you mean faster.If your talkin standard cars then acceleration wise you can rule out all of them,modified or top speed its a different game,but id go for what midas said but would add a ppg 5 speed box maybe instead of the standard 6 speed
Old 03 November 2007, 10:09 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

evo 6 or the GTR

They are however 2 very different beasts. It really does depend on whether you want a fast GT car or a nippy saloon.

I've always wanted an E55 but the rust thing puts me off.
Old 04 November 2007, 12:42 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

For 10k you will probably only get a standard-ish R33 gtr which will feel a hell of a lot slower than your type r.

If you're considering a skyline for your budget a better bet would be a R32 and for 10k you could get a well maintained 500bhp car with lots of history.

Just make sure you've got lots of spare cash for the inevitable repair bills
Old 04 November 2007, 01:33 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Had the same dilemma myself not too long ago, i test drove a few of you're choices above, and although i ended up keeping my Impreza (not a great help to you there) i can give my thoughts on them. Comparative to a type r.

Skyline, similar feel in power overall, what put me off was the size of the thing, it's big car, and feels bigger when you are actually in it. More comfortable ridewise, but it shows why when throwing it into a corner. Never unstable just not as nimble as the r.

Audi, Really nice feel to it, comfortable fast car, but did'nt feel like a driving experience, i would put it down as a perfect mile munching motorway car, but ultimately boring to drive.

Supra tt. Unusable power, the thing spins at every opertunity, and if you have the traction control switched on, it's always kicking in, and hindering the drive. Did'nt think much of the interior either, looks rather dated.

Evo 6, Hmm well i was tempted, i was in a tommi mak version. If the price was'nt so high on them i may be temted even more. I actually like the styling of the 7, but it's just not the same drive.

Tvr cerbera 4.5 v8, first impressions... It's like sitting in a space ship, dials everywhere, futuristic styling. Second impression... WOW, It has some serious torque, it just keeps on pulling and pulling. The sound of that engine is something else aswell, the sound reminded me of the Impreza, but much more raw and aggressive.
This was the one that tempted me most, but after sitting back and getting over the initial shock of the grunt, i put my sensible head back on.
The cerbera is, i think, quite beautiful to look at, it sounds superb, and is extremely individual.But there was alot i did'nt like about it aswell.
It made the supra feel... safe, in relation to grip, the cockpit is small (i banged my elbow on every single sharp right turn). It ctually feels like a small car to drive, suspension was harsh, foot pedals too close together, wipers leave the screen at anything above 70, wind noise inside the car is verging on the ridiculous, interiors show signs of excessive wear at very low milage, i could go on.
Even saying all that, it was still the one that tempted me most. The engine makes the car, and it's seriously addictive!
If it's raw power you want (but at the cost of everything else that is good about any car) go for the TVR.
I don't think any of the others will cut it for you after a type r, all i can say is take a test drive.
Old 04 November 2007, 10:49 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at stuff like this and bottled it and bought a Saab 9-3 Aero, my previous experiments with getting the fastest car for the least money all ended badly.

It all sounds very enticing on a bbs and you can be lucky but the older and more specialized a car is the higher the potential for it turning into a money pit, don't want to sound doom and gloom but make sure you get anything checked out by someone who knows them and keep a few quid back for any issues that may arise.

The Japanese stuff is probably the best bet, however a Lad at work has an Evo Tommi Makkinen, his service last week ended up costing £750, the month before an undisclosed sum sorting out a transmission noise, the purchase prices gets lower but the bills stay the same, that said, he does seem to enjoy it.

The Mercs do rust, my mate (J4cko's mate on here) boss has a 52 plate E200 Komp and it is rusting like a 1980's Ford, admittedly its done a fair milage and doesn't get looked after but for a 'Quality' car its criminal, an old boy on our road has an 1987 E reg E class and its immaculate.
Old 04 November 2007, 12:27 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Pal had a TVR, several actually.... bits fell off every time he used it (Sunday car).... Of your list I'd only cosider your Type R, sorry ! Evo 6 is second tho'

Dunx

Good luck !
Old 04 November 2007, 10:22 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Of your list, I'd go for the supra.
If it was my own money, I'd go for a Lotus Carlton.
astraboy.
Old 04 November 2007, 10:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I imagine your looking for something different ...?

Supra or RX7
Old 04 November 2007, 11:36 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

I would suggest maybe a Z3M coupe, but they seem a tad over budget. Possibly RS2 Audi
Integra Type R DC5
MG ZT 260 V8
Red Line Racing : JAGUAR S-TYPE 4.2R SUPERCHARGED Sweeney style with a bit of negotiating?
Old 05 November 2007, 12:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

ZT not a bad idea, would get one for 10k and would still be fairly new with lowish miles but not the fastest ina straight line, they were engineered for more powerful engines than the 260 bhp one, but despite what you may think it will probalby offer you more chance of not disintegrating expensively than some of the others on your list, the old Yank v8 in it is well proven, the rest of the mechincals are high spec aftermarket items and quality wise they are a lot better than Rover's reputation would suggest, my uncle has one and it does about 18 - 26 mpg.

Straigh line wise its a match for a standard new age Scoob, you can get them supercharged for 6k which takes it to 400 bhp.
Old 05 November 2007, 04:22 PM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
depends what you mean faster.If your talkin standard cars then acceleration wise you can rule out all of them

Not quite! That Cerbera out of the box would mince all of the above IMHO (mate has one) 0-60 4.0 & 0-100 8.9. Reliability could be an issue though at that price.
Old 05 November 2007, 06:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cerbera, selling your soul for a sub ten second 0-100, fantastic looking thing but I would want a car that would do it more than once !

If you have ten grand you can afford to buy one, running it may be a different matter.
Old 05 November 2007, 06:43 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Cerbera, selling your soul for a sub ten second 0-100, fantastic looking thing but I would want a car that would do it more than once !

If you have ten grand you can afford to buy one, running it may be a different matter.
I'll second that!
Old 05 November 2007, 07:27 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Looked at TVRs a while back and researching them on forums revealed lots of scary stories about engine rebuilds at 25k and services every 6 months for about 2k. As above, it's running them that is the kicker.

Out of that lot, I would say the Evo 6, plenty of low mileage examples for 10k.
Old 05 November 2007, 07:33 PM
wrxjay03
Scooby Regular

For 10k go for the supra, look great with mods and can be highly tuned
Old 05 November 2007, 07:42 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobberdoo
Not quite! That Cerbera out of the box would mince all of the above IMHO (mate has one) 0-60 4.0 & 0-100 8.9. Reliability could be an issue though at that price.
your mate must have a cerbera speed 6 which is a lot more than 10k,im not goin for book figures,i was talking about real life,2 races against a 4.2 cerbera on the quarter and the quickest time he posted against me was 12.9 and a 13.5 both my runs were in the 12's 12.9 and 12.6 but to be fair i was actually meaning his initial list not the extras at the bottom
Old 05 November 2007, 08:22 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Discount the S8 I've had 2 and they were great cruisers but never really felt that fast or dramatic. Unless of course you'll get the opportunity to constantly stretch it's legs over 100mph in which case they make an excellent 'intimidation' car for motorway work. Lots of presence and fairly impressive right upto 155mph. Reckon on 10mpg at a steady top speed cruise.
Old 05 November 2007, 08:28 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default what car

audi s4 all day long 2.7 twin turbo. very tuneable seen one on jabbasport 400 at the wheels. if you can tolerate distant from your car driving, uninvolving i think its called. bomb proof reliabilty. s60 R awd is a good motor too, don't know whether you would get one for 10k.
Old 05 November 2007, 08:29 PM
major
Scooby Regular

Audi S8

YouTube - S8 in Ronin
Old 05 November 2007, 08:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Back to the ZT, might not be the quickest of those listed but this is a video of my uncles being started up and driven off, sedately seeing as its on my road !

Less sedate version due soon which will involve finishing off the rear tyres......

YouTube - MG ZT 260 Start up and Drive off

And heres what they can do once supercharged

YouTube - MG ZT 260 vs Transit
Old 05 November 2007, 10:32 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I went with option number 1 (although not V Spec)

1 month on and I'm very happy. Be aware, though, that at £10k the quality of GTR's is pretty variable. There's some very good cars and some very bad ones in that price range. I was also advised not to get hung up on a V Spec as there's no real difference in the driving experience, just go for the best car you can afford.

Mine was £9k but was almost standard except for the induction kit, boost controller and Tein coil-overs. It's going in in 2 weeks time for HKS exhaust, decat, PowerFC and remap

It doesn't feel as fast as a Scoob because whereas Scoobs are all mid-range Skyline's make bugger all power below 4k rpm and then pull like a ******* towards 8k but I prefer the overall driving experience. I disagree with the poster above that says it feels like a big car, especially when chucking it about. If the HICAS is working properly, the turn in is astonishing and it feels like a very short wheelbase car.

Last edited by NotoriousREV; 05 November 2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05 November 2007, 11:54 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

MG
Old 06 November 2007, 12:08 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Of your list, I'd go for the supra.
astraboy.
They have a concourse Lotus Carlton in one of the Vauxhall dealer's in Northampton i couldn't resist going into have a look 29000 quid !!! I left with idea's of GSI 3000 Carlton's angle grinders bodykit's and turbo / stroker kits!!
Old 06 November 2007, 03:48 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Never mind the overweight gadget-ridden R33, get yourself an R32, that's a proper Skyline

They were built to do one job, they did that one job, and retired at the top of their game
Old 06 November 2007, 07:34 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Actually I'd probably pay 8K for this

1995 BMW M5 3.8 4dr Saloon Manual, 97,700 miles, One of only 139 6 speed 3.8 M5's ever made, finished in Avus Blue with Amaretta trim. 340 bhp 3.8 litre straight 6 24v BMW Motorsport powerplant. This is a magazine feature car and is genuine and original. Nurburgring EDC suspension package, 345mm floating disk brakes, BMW Thatcham Cat 1 total closure alarm, air con, rear blind, over-carpets, electric sunroof, electric mirrors, electric memory seats, independent ventilation system. Extensive service file - (including recent new front disks and pads). Fully fitted Nokia hands free car kit. This has been my pride and joy for nearly 6 years. It has always been polished using Zymol. This is a very reluctant sale of one of the last hand built BMW M5's. Private plate not included, as it has been transferred. For more information on these cars, visit M5Board.com. £8,995. ono

and have 2K left over to run it for a year.

edit to add

or this one

BMW : BMW M5 LE 34/50

a cracking example- guy got a driving ban after being set up by the filth.

Last edited by NACRO; 06 November 2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06 November 2007, 07:49 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Never mind the overweight gadget-ridden R33, get yourself an R32, that's a proper Skyline

They were built to do one job, they did that one job, and retired at the top of their game
Gadget ridden?

What does the R33 have that the R32 doesn't apart from a little extra weight?
Old 07 November 2007, 11:40 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by astraboy
astraboy.
For 10k?
Old 07 November 2007, 11:57 AM
NACRO
BANNED

You can get the Opel Omega version of the Carlton for around that money, LHD becomes less of an issue when you have that much power, assuming you can haul your bulk across the car for the toll booths/drive thru.
The real problem is parts supply of course with some owners now paying for them to be fabricated at huge expense. I don't see these as a realistic prospect for a daily driver.

Lotus : Lotus Carlton Omega

I'd still like to own one however and have seriously considered buying one in the past. So much so in fact I went to see 4 cars and was sorely dissapointed in the condition of all of them.

YouTube - Omega Lotus demonstration

YouTube - Lotus omega vs Swedish cops (with sound)

Quick Reply: 10k to spend, what would you buy ?