Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone gone from STI to Audi RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2007, 08:21 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone gone from STI to Audi RS4?

I'm still toying with the idea of selling my STI 9 and replacing it with something else, that performs equally or better and will fit my 3 kids in the back.

Obviously this narrows down my choices just a bit, presently considering an RS4 (2006 ish) and wondering whether anyones any experience or opinions on them? or done similar moving from an Impreza to the Audi.

Anyone?

Neil
Old 15 October 2007, 08:22 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

yep - 2 months ago. what do you want to know
Old 15 October 2007, 08:22 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Think Pippyrips has. He had a JDM STi before his
Old 15 October 2007, 08:23 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Cant believe we posted that at the same time

Great minds think alike
Old 15 October 2007, 08:28 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygav555
Cant believe we posted that at the same time

Great minds think alike
Old 15 October 2007, 08:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yeh but we dont talk about them ,much
Old 15 October 2007, 08:32 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pippyrips
yep - 2 months ago. what do you want to know
great!

Well, the whole 9 yards really, hows the performance compare in the real world (as opposed to on paper), is it as thirsty / more so, etc etc in short is it as much fun / as much of a thrill as the STI?

Neil

Trending Topics

Old 15 October 2007, 09:34 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilT
great!

Well, the whole 9 yards really, hows the performance compare in the real world (as opposed to on paper), is it as thirsty / more so, etc etc in short is it as much fun / as much of a thrill as the STI?

Neil
Neil,

Might be easier to talk over the phone as it will take bloody ages to type up all the comparisons i found/made!

Pm me a number and good time to call and i will do my best.

In short though you won't be disappointed
Old 16 October 2007, 12:30 AM
icbm
Scooby Regular

Neil,

Might be easier to talk over the phone as it will take bloody ages to type up all the comparisons i found/made!

Pm me a number and good time to call and i will do my best.

In short though you won't be disappointed
No, type them as i am interested too!!
Old 16 October 2007, 12:41 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Pippy.

See you can't quite let go as you still have the Scoob & STi logo on the left there

TX.
Old 16 October 2007, 09:00 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

i would like to know too, as Im considering a RS4 avant, 06. Ive heard they use the suspension similar to the RS6, which had all those issues, aka £2000 to replace.

So, dish the dirty baby :-)

SBK
Old 16 October 2007, 09:31 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Pippy.

See you can't quite let go as you still have the Scoob & STi logo on the left there

TX.
And never will - i've loved impreza's for longer than i have had my driving licence!! Besides RS4 avatars aren't an option as yet

I will endeavour to type up some comparisons later on today when i get 5
Old 16 October 2007, 09:59 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

And never will - i've loved impreza's for longer than i have had my driving licence!! Besides RS4 avatars aren't an option as yet

I will endeavour to type up some comparisons later on today when i get 5
ok, good stuff, was gonna pm you a tel, but looks like others are interested too

Neil
Old 16 October 2007, 08:38 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It been on my mind for a while too.
Old 16 October 2007, 08:48 PM
CRAFTY CARPER
Scooby Regular

DO NOT TOUCH A AUDI OR A VW.

These are junk,they are ok if you want constan problems with them & and are chucked together.

After speaking to a good friend of mine who is a audi/vw mechanic he says they are a nightmare to work & are as not as good as they maKE OUT.
If it is reliability you want needs to be jap not that german rubbish.
Old 16 October 2007, 09:01 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Ok, here goes...........

Comparing differences in performance etc is a relative thing so to put the following into context my old car was a fairly well modded 04 JDM STI (see view my Scooby) which was considerably quicker than standard by the time I sold it! (Isn’t that right Maz) Therefore all of below will differ dependant on whether you have a less/more modded car.

The first thing you notice is the build quality of the car as it’s in a completely different league/world. Where as 50 in the STI felt like 100, in the RS 100 feels like 50 which can be a bit of a double edged sword I guess dependant on which way you look at it. Rattles are a thing of the past – it feels bullet proof! The interior is one of the nicest I have seen and just oozes pure class. I went for one with all the toys and bucket seats as opposed to the ‘comfort’ Recaros. All this together adds up to one of the nicest cars I have sat in. (When I collected it I was picked up in a new M5 – I was gob smacked at how poor the interior was as it seems to be with all BMWs at present. )

Comparing performance is difficult as it is delivered in a completely different way to the STI. Where as in the STI you had slight lag then boost. boost, boost the RS is far more linear with lots of torque low down that goes all the way to the redline at 8,200. This at first can lead you to think its not as quick though a quick look down at the speedo makes you realise its not the case. Off the mark I would say the STI would just edge it to 60 but from there onwards the RS wins. Although Audi are quoting 4.8 for 0-60 3 independent mags have all timed it at 4.5 so it’s not slow to get going. As it has more low down torque driving is easier as you don’t need to change gear anyway near as much as you did in the STI. I have disconnected the active valves in the exhaust. This means you hear the V8 all the time instead of some of the time. It also improved engine response and economy at the same time – all for 5 minutes work!

Listening to the guys on the Audi forum the engine loosens up a lot over the first 15k. I’ve already seen a difference in the time I’ve had and still have some way to go before I get to 15k so goody gumdrops for me

Talking about economy something which surprised me is that it drinks less petrol than my STI did. I’m averaging around 20 mpg round town going towards 28/29 on motorways. All of this is steady driving – it’s very easy to shorten the figures by nailing the throttle but that’s no different to the STI or any other car for that matter!

Handling is good. You can tell it’s a heavier car than the STI though it holds very well considering this. The more you throw it in the more it seems to stick though it does take a bit of getting used to at first. It does have the same system as the old RS6 though it has been revised so all the old problems should have gone. The same applies to the brakes which perform well given the weight it has to stop.

Boot space is just awesome – it’s bloody huge in there. So much so Audi could have afforded to lose a bit and put it in the rear of the cabin. One thing to mention is you do loose some space in the rear if you go fro the bucket seats but who cares they are just the bo**ocks! The rear seats also fold down so you can ship a lot if required.

Residuals have been helped but the less than rave reviews of the new M3. Pretty much all saloons are gone now with a few Avants left dotted around the showrooms. This means you will need to pay more to get one but as there is not another RS4 due for a long time you should still get a decent return when its time to change again.

Finally, In answer to your question is it a much of a thrill as the STI – yes but in different way. I still sometimes miss the rawness of the STI as everything was so dramatic. The RS is just so much more refined in everyway. All in all the RS is a serious piece of kit which has the pace to leave most things for dead. Unless you are spending all of your time at 10/10th in the STI the RS wins hands down.

I’ve got no doubt I will get another STI at some stage but a change is a good as a rest as they say and the RS is the only thing currently that ever could have tempted me away.

If I’ve missed anything give me a shout.

Last edited by pippyrips; 17 October 2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 16 October 2007, 09:02 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting as i have had four Golfs and one Audi and none have had any problems what so ever.....tell a lie, a fuse blew on the V6 4Motion

Nik.

Originally Posted by CRAFTY CARPER

These are junk,they are ok if you want constan problems with them & and are chucked together.

After speaking to a good friend of mine who is a audi/vw mechanic he says they are a nightmare to work & are as not as good as they maKE OUT.
Old 16 October 2007, 09:04 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

now thats what they call a sweeping statement
Old 16 October 2007, 09:08 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

The general consensus is that Audi/VW build quality is infact first rate and they are not 'chucked together'. No offence but I think the posters in this thread want first hand exeperience/comparisons and not rumour and hearsay. For the record the RS4 is lauded as a fantastic car by all who have driven one and boy does it shift (personal experience whilst having a little play with one(private road of course ) ).
Old 16 October 2007, 09:08 PM
CRAFTY CARPER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Thats interesting as i have had four Golfs and one Audi and none have had any problems what so ever.....tell a lie, a fuse blew on the V6 4Motion

Nik.
You must have had some good ones then my friend.

I,m just going on what i have seen and been told.

Take the audi tt and remove the engine cover its just as if some has used a catapult to put the loom & pipes in.
also the niggly problems they have had fom new.Just feel after having german cars in past that the jap is put together better & more reliable????
Old 16 October 2007, 09:09 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Evening Rob!

Excellent write up BTW

Last edited by Maz; 16 October 2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:06 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Pippy.

What about the noise?! I've heard a current S4 & it sounded amazing so the RS4 must be mega amazing?!

TX.
Old 16 October 2007, 11:07 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Interesting. How do the running costs compare?
I have a fear that Audi servicing will be a killer!
Old 16 October 2007, 11:17 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

excellent job pippyrips, totally agree. im in the fortunate position of direct comparison as ive got a uk sti9 (or 05 sti for the pedantic) with prodrive pack and springs and my old mans got an 07 rs4 avant. i guarantee you will never get bored of pushing down the starter button and hearing the v8 rumble into life. the torque on it is tremendous,6th gear will happily pul from 40 to 150+. apparently. fuel consumption is definetly better than the sti,the brakes are tremendous and i think the suspension is one of the most finely judged ive driven, not much body roll but never harsh or bouncy even over some very broken single track road at an indecent rate. its not as raw as the sti , but every bit as enjoyable and probably more practical- though rear legroom is a bit tight to put it mildly! servicing is variable, a year or 15-18000 miles and about 200ish for first service. got to say i would have one if i could afford it,thankfully i just wait till the codgers not looking
if you can, go for one even if its just for a little bit.
and this is our 7th audi,from an 80 sport in 89 through all the a6 td quattros to the a3 tdi quattro we have just now, with very few problems. bar warping brake discs on an allroad while upsetting a mk11 gti on a back road
ps. how do you disconnect the actve valves? do tell!
Old 17 October 2007, 08:34 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Pippy.

What about the noise?! I've heard a current S4 & it sounded amazing so the RS4 must be mega amazing?!

TX.
good point well made - i forgot the most important aspect The sound is amazing, it really does sound though i am contemplating a Milltek exhaust as the sound deadening is so good inside the car!

Servicing works out cheaper (standard servicing at least) than the STI as well. Mine is currently on flexi servicing so it tells you when it needs to go in dependant on your driving, where as the STI went in every 6 months. The only thing so far which i know will be more expensive is a set of new boots when the time comes.

Some other things i forgot to mention are the quality of the toys. They range from the drivers seat blowing up around the side supports when you hit the S button to a solar powered sunroof that automatically powers the a/c independantly if the sun comes out to ensure you never get into to a hot car. vorst spring doust technik - too right

Last edited by pippyrips; 17 October 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 17 October 2007, 09:01 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Evening Rob!

Excellent write up BTW
Morning sir
Old 17 October 2007, 09:17 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Mmmm :-) RS4 Avant for me then. Will need to arrange a test drive.

Cheers for taking the time to write up your thoughts.

SBK
Old 17 October 2007, 09:37 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up

excellent review there, thanks muchly for taking the time.

What MY do you have though? I'm assuming its 56 or 07?

I'm considering the avant, due to load space and I can get the dog in the back

Will have to book a test drive up. Any pics of your seats? The ones I've looked at have the leather recaros, which look pretty good, but yours sound awesome, so will def need to find a car with those!

Neil
Old 17 October 2007, 03:12 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

A test drive is the best way to decide - just bear in mind as I mentioned previously they do loosen up a lot so factor that in if they are low mileage examples.

I've got a 56 saloon - the Avant has to be the best looking estate around at present.

I will take some proper pictures of the seats later but in the meantime here is one I took earlier:
CATOI95B.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 17 October 2007, 03:52 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Well I never knew car seat **** existed.
But it would appear it does.

Anyone want to see my Astra "sports" seats? They have leather bits on them and lumbar support adjust you know.

I'll get my coat...

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from STI to Audi RS4?