Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Clio 182 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2007, 12:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clio 182 Cup

Think this time I am actually going to change my car, my missus sems to be agreeing that selling my 100k miles Saab may be a good idea, I am not doing all the jobs and ending up keeping it for another three years.

So, only doing 14 miles a day from 22nd of Oct, dont need anything big, want something fun and reasonably quick, quite like the fact that they are a bit rough and ready.

Dont want massive complexity, i.e. turbo's and 4wd and with the 8k I will spend I will end up with older stuff that will bankrupt me, I know the Renualts arent built that way but there is less to go wrong, as long as it starts I am not that fussed.

Can only see the Clio as a candidate, or a Fabia VRS and I would prefer some handling prowess, plus not bothered about fuel consumption, its the difference between 10 quid and 15 quid a week, i.e. nothing, especially when you factor in the expensive oil the VW PD needs.

Thoughts.
Old 05 October 2007, 12:59 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never drove one but..... yet to meet anyone who hadn't said they were a giggle. Seems to be the second vehicle of choice in the Scoobysmacs club now. Loads cheaper to run as well apparently 30mpg+ and really sharp round a track, although (despite what some say) no where near as quick as a Scoob.
Old 05 October 2007, 01:41 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I don't think you will regret it. I love my 172 and couldn't recommend them enough. Really fun to drive and pretty quick too. Lots of goodies for standard and well priced too. They do handle really well too!

Steve
Old 05 October 2007, 01:59 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

they are hit and miss some were good,some were horrendous and spent more time in the dealerships than peoples driveways,try ClioSport for better advice and reviews but get a good one and they are really good fun
Old 06 October 2007, 07:59 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

this weeks favourite car of j4ckos is ........................
Old 07 October 2007, 10:04 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Great fun, I had one for nearly two years and in the dry are a match for most Scoobs. On the track, it was a match for anything on the corners.

On the negative side, the build quality is poor with lots of rattles but by far the worst apect is the dealer service - and they aren't chaep either!

I'd go for a Full Fat version though (and wish I had). They are only 20kg heavier and you get much better seats, xenons and climate control.

Steve
Old 07 October 2007, 02:36 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Go with the trophy version, awesome car!

http://chollis.net/stuff/182/trophy_smaller.jpg

TX.

Edit - you'd get this one for £8k:

Renault : 182 trophy no397

Last edited by Terminator X; 07 October 2007 at 02:39 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2007, 09:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I saw no 397 and have left a thread on the Trophy forum, dont fancy traipsing to Fife unless I can help it, missed a 182 cup locally for 7k, rang and it had gone, can wait, money waiting for the right one.

Not bothered about the odd rattle, am after the modern equivalent of my Mk2 Golf GTI, as long as it starts I can cope with the odd thing not working or noise, not starting is a big problem for me.

Last edited by J4CKO; 07 October 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07 October 2007, 10:35 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

That Trophy is only a mile away from me, I know the guy that owns it, well at least his Dad. Big Subaru man, Cusco_kid on Scottishscoobies.co.uk.
Old 08 October 2007, 08:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenose172
That Trophy is only a mile away from me, I know the guy that owns it, well at least his Dad. Big Subaru man, Cusco_kid on Scottishscoobies.co.uk.
Perhaps mention this thread if you see him, would consider a road trip but Fife is a fair way !
Old 10 October 2007, 07:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Went a drove a 14,000 mile Clio 182, was mint but it just didn't grab me.

I didn't think it was all that quick, gutless low down with a noticeable step in power, I expected it to go ballistic and it just didn't, it was quick-ish but to be honest it didn't feel any quicker than my Saab LPT.

Not as badly made as people make out, interior quite nice for an old supermini, however the engine made the car reverberate like a diesel.

Cant see what all the fuss was about, it it cos the buyers are generally coming from 1.1's and 1.4's ?

Gearchange wasnt that great at first but improved once warm, but to get six foot of me in I had to have the seat pretty far back and this put the gearstick a bit far away.

Maybe its old age !
Old 12 October 2007, 01:49 PM
TheJesus
Scooby Regular

Clio's are great cars for what they are, but people expect too much from them. They dont feel as fast as they are and you wont be able to fully appreciate one on a 5 minute drive, you need to get one on track... or do something like this

YouTube - Clio 172 RS Vs Subaru Impreza turbo
Old 12 October 2007, 02:00 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Nearly bought the 182, they're not that far off a standard WRX when rolling
Old 12 October 2007, 02:02 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheJesus
Clio's are great cars for what they are, but people expect too much from them. They dont feel as fast as they are and you wont be able to fully appreciate one on a 5 minute drive, you need to get one on track... or do something like this

YouTube - Clio 172 RS Vs Subaru Impreza turbo
Is that a set up? Clio's are quite handy and one of my favorite classic hot hatch i.e cheap little french car with a big engine

I didn't think they were classic impreza fast, but it was a long time ago I went in a standard classic [I assume].
Old 12 October 2007, 02:16 PM
TheJesus
Scooby Regular

lol, nah, not a setup, it's a modified Clio and a modified Impreza classic (pro drive exhaust, apexi filter, BOV and Ric Wood remap). Clio is 217bhp, god knows what the impreza is power wise though.
Standard v standard there can't be that much between them, my old Williams with breathing mods and cams (no remap) would pull about a car length per gear on his old Impreza classic (RR'd @ 260bhp from RC in Warrington) from a roll. From a launch it obviously got maimed lol
Old 12 October 2007, 03:12 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My missus has a full fat 182, with the Cup pack. She says its the best car I have ever bought her. That includes some GTI's and a GTT over the years.

Its a capable little car and accellates through the mid range like a standard-ish Scooby, but obviously without a Turbo, you never get that top end 'surge'.

Handling wise, it is very good for what it is, but a lot of its credibility is down to the electronic traction aids. If you turn them, off it can be an involving ride.

The week she got it, I went for 30mile driven to get used to it, and with the electonics turned off, I had it sideways a couple of times.
Old 12 October 2007, 03:41 PM
TheJesus
Scooby Regular

lol, they do like to oversteer quite a bit, but getting it back in check is surprisingly easy, although nothing like the Williams which feels like it's RWD at times
Old 12 October 2007, 05:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I see what you mean about a five minute drive, I do usually say that you dont really get to know a new car for a few weeks of having it, what you like, what annoys you, truth is, I just didnt get grabbed by it, I didnt like the power delivery as I am used to a Saab which has loads of low down grunt, probably outright not as quick but it feels quicker.

I am off to look at a 330i and possibly a 9-5 Aero, I thinkold age (36) is creeping up, I bought the Saab as a stopgap until my next hot hatch/sporty car and have ended up a Saab Addict.

Left field choice is an MG ZT V8, my dad and uncle have them slo its their influence but I am not sure I can cope with 18 mpg even though I am not doing many miles, suspect after the recent petrol price hikes they will be getting even cheaper, 10 k (Possibly lower) gets a low milage SE (telly/Sat nav) V8
Old 12 October 2007, 10:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

idnt buy the BMW, he had just got this in, deal done !

https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...new-motor.html