Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Now that UK/EU WRX is dead ... what next ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2007, 11:03 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now that UK/EU WRX is dead ... what next ?

Still caught between laughing at the mess Subaru have made of the new Impreza and crying over the loss to the UK of the good old stock wrx bloodline. (If Subaru are refocusing more on the 'lifestyle' market, they've got a long way to go.)

Anyway, time to move on so what are people considering for similar(ish) money?

Evo X - looks very promising but is STi money
New Saab Turbo X (Frankfurt: Saab Turbo X | evo News | News | evo) - also looks promising but might be lardy with one of those Friday afternoon 4wd systems (aka vw)
Audi S3 - never fancied one of these really, but might be worth a look

My last wrx cost £14k or £16.5 with ppp. Trouble is there's nothing to touch the wrx at this price. I'll probably have to move up market ...

cheers.
Old 14 September 2007, 09:53 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Unless u fancy a VXR, ST, Leon Cupra. I have been beaten twicw now by a VXR in my 2003 wrx.
Old 15 September 2007, 10:38 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

Megane R26 would be my choice
Old 15 September 2007, 05:44 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Leon FR is faster than a standard WRX so maybe have a look at a Cupra version. Mine has over 300hp

Megane R26 is nice but shame about the build quality and reliability.
Old 15 September 2007, 10:37 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Think i read on autocar that subaru has done a u-turn and decided to release the WRX over here. Might have mis-read it though as it was late last night.

andy.
Old 15 September 2007, 11:49 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

The WRX isn't dead in the uk.
As already said the f**kwits at Subaru have had second thoughts.......
Old 16 September 2007, 02:38 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
The WRX isn't dead in the uk.
As already said the f**kwits at Subaru have had second thoughts.......
better later than never

Trending Topics

Old 19 September 2007, 10:39 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy_s37
Think i read on autocar that subaru has done a u-turn and decided to release the WRX over here. Might have mis-read it though as it was late last night.

andy.
Read the same thing in my latest copy of Evo. Also, from Litchfield site: "The new Impreza range reaches Europe officially in October in Normal Aspirated form and a limited number of new WRX models later in the year. The European WRX will be a similar specification to the US car that will go on sale in August.". Link is here: Litchfield Imports. That Litchfield special 'GT Sport' thing looks fairly tasty with +300bhp.

And Autocar say the WRX will come to the UK but only 1,000 will make it and 0-60 as dropped to a quoted 6.1s. Autocar - Impreza WRX will cost under £20k

So after all that, it does look as if it's not quite the end of WRX bloodline. Litchfield will sell them + the car supermarkets like allbrandsnew will hopefully carry them. Remains to be seen about dealer network, but there's sod all dealer support around me in Herts anyway.

Even will all this --- I've read a few test drives of the new WRX on US sites and opinion seems to be that it might be a bit rubbish (eg. Comparison Test: 2008 Subaru WRX vs. 2007 Mazdaspeed 3)

I'll wait 18 months or so to see what happens. All looks a bit mad at the moment.

Next Evo mag will have a feature on the Evo X by the way.

cheers.
Old 19 September 2007, 10:53 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
Unless u fancy a VXR, ST, Leon Cupra. I have been beaten twicw now by a VXR in my 2003 wrx.
I've caught the 4wd sports saloon bug bad, that's my problem. Can't be doing with all that the scrabbly wheelspin / traction control on the high power 2wd's. No denying they're getting faster every month as new models comes out. Still limited by the physics of 2wd though.

The new version of the 4wd Haldex XWD system to be fitted to the Saab Turbo X (exclusively apparently) does look good and a huge improvement on the current system fitted to the Golf / TT. www.haldex-traction.com/xwd 2007

cheers.
Old 20 September 2007, 11:50 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

More to the point the new Impreza looks pants and does not fit into the marketing (and target market) of the current WRX, how long will Subaru survive in the UK ?
Old 20 September 2007, 04:46 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Here's my collection of theories for what it's worth ...

- the look of the new impreza was just plain botched, probably due to internal Subaru politics getting in the way. How they did this again, following the bug-eye fiasco is a mystery, but there you go ...

- sales in the UK bypassed the official dealer network due to the huge discounts offered by EU import and supermarkets (seems to be uniquely a subaru phenomenon). Think this is a factor in reulctance to bring in WRX

- WRX stole sales from STi - outgoing STi was too expensive for what you get. As many reviews have said, WRX was too close to STi warrant price difference. WRX with ppp is even closer.

So Subaru decided:

- to limit the WRX in the UK to try and keep prices up for dealers. Probably a lost cause.
- water down the WRX a bit to put some clear water between WRX and STi and get a slice of the lifestyle market, perhaps even the mini SUV 4x4market.
- pump up performance of STi so that it becomes the drivers choice of the range, though at a much higher price point + probably refine image.
- hence this is a move up-market to reduce the appeal of the WRX to 'younger drivers' and increase the appeal of the STi to more 'mature drivers' eg. Spec D seen in MY06.

Subaru really have got their work cut out now. Lots of investment needed to refocus a very confused range with results bizarre styling blind alleys all over the place.

The one area that really put Subaru the map was Rallying with the Impreza and they're abandoning the 'budget hero' appeal by going up market.

I can sort of see their logic in doing all this, but the market is crammed full of fat 4wd lifestylers and posh £30k-ish sports saloons for gawds sake. Subaru: just stick with what you know and fix that. Wasn't that bad was it??

cheers.
Old 20 September 2007, 10:55 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

They're just aiming for a new market IMO - my Mrs has never liked the Impreza but she does like the new model
Old 21 September 2007, 08:25 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Evo VI - Tommy Makkers edition presses all my buttons for the replacement of the WRX.

Raw as you like, hold their value and look cool as F in an old school type of way.
Old 21 September 2007, 09:09 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
Evo VI - Tommy Makkers edition presses all my buttons for the replacement of the WRX.

Raw as you like, hold their value and look cool as F in an old school type of way.
Legend of car. Nice in the rarer blue with white wheels. Only thing which kept me away from the evos was the silly servicing intervals and small fuel tank.
Old 21 September 2007, 09:18 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
They're just aiming for a new market IMO - my Mrs has never liked the Impreza but she does like the new model
Guess they get points for trying to broaden the appeal.
My Mrs hasn't been keen on the pumped-up looks of any of the 4 scoobs I've had, but always liked taking them for a blast. She liked the WRC blue STi (gold wheels) I had least and likes the grey WRX I've got now the most.

If the new models goes and handles like a rocket on rails, then don't give a fig what it looks like ... but suspect it won't. Need to wait a few weeks 'til a UK mag does a proper review of one.
Old 21 September 2007, 09:25 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

The solution is called: EVO X
Old 23 September 2007, 02:15 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vertew
Legend of car. Nice in the rarer blue with white wheels. Only thing which kept me away from the evos was the silly servicing intervals and small fuel tank.
YES, definitely the perfect choice of colour. I like the traditional red & white but it's far too ostentatious for me.

The only time I drive is to the shops nowadays so stupid servicing intervals aint no probs for me.
Old 23 September 2007, 02:22 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

2nd hand Monaro CV8 can be had for 16k - bargain

Just add supercharger, brake upgrade, and build a bigger garage

M5 handling (nearly, but better than a WRX anyway ), M5 luxury and STi fuel consumption. Doddle to drive normally, and challenge yet rewarding to drive fast.
Old 23 September 2007, 07:38 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
2nd hand Monaro CV8 can be had for 16k - bargain

Just add supercharger, brake upgrade, and build a bigger garage

M5 handling (nearly, but better than a WRX anyway ), M5 luxury and STi fuel consumption.
LMAO
Old 24 September 2007, 10:09 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
The solution is called: EVO X
No doubt it's going to be awesome - perhaps the last word on the old STi / Evo debate. On price at least, the STi and Evo are likely to be comparable at around £30k-ish

It's the £20k-ish 'performance hero' price bracket that we're losing with the loss (or big reduction in availability) of the 08 WRX.

So it looks like I may have to go up market, which is a bit of a pain seeing as I've been getting plenty of cut-price 4wd amusement with WRX's for years.

I did see one shot of the new STi where is sort of looked like it might be ok from a certain angle in a certain light and didn't look too much like a Rover 25. Pumped wheel arches looked pretty good. Here's hoping.

Evo X it is then .....................
Old 24 September 2007, 11:56 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I still fancy importing one of these:

SUBARU : 車種紹介 > レガシィ B4

Spec B and it has to have a twin scroll....of course

Only 3,181,500 Japanese yen, which works out at £13 718.51 ...bargain!

And for just another 1,000,000 Yen, one can add all the STi Goodies: SUBARU|LEGACY TOURING WAGON / B4 2.0GT spec.B tuned by STI

Last edited by Shark Man; 25 September 2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 25 September 2007, 10:54 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I still fancy importing one of these:

SUBARU : 車種紹介 > レガシィ B4

Spec B and it has to have a twin scroll....of course

Only 3,181,500 Japanese yen, which works out at £13 718.51 ...bargain!

And for just another 1,000,000 Yen, one can add all the STi Goodies: SUBARU|LEGACY TOURING WAGON / B4 2.0GT spec.B tuned by STI
Now thats more like it !

Old 25 September 2007, 02:22 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vertew
No doubt it's going to be awesome - perhaps the last word on the old STi / Evo debate. On price at least, the STi and Evo are likely to be comparable at around £30k-ish

It's the £20k-ish 'performance hero' price bracket that we're losing with the loss (or big reduction in availability) of the 08 WRX.

So it looks like I may have to go up market, which is a bit of a pain seeing as I've been getting plenty of cut-price 4wd amusement with WRX's for years.

I did see one shot of the new STi where is sort of looked like it might be ok from a certain angle in a certain light and didn't look too much like a Rover 25. Pumped wheel arches looked pretty good. Here's hoping.

Evo X it is then .....................
The new EVO looks quite cool..............
Old 25 September 2007, 02:23 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Now thats more like it !

These wagons rock! Litchfields................
Old 25 September 2007, 03:38 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

...they keep stock of wr blue wagons

That's the LAST colour and bodyshape I want

Last edited by Shark Man; 25 September 2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 27 September 2007, 06:39 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I looked at the hatchback Subaru Uk are calling the WRX and thought "what the f**k r these people on ?". I really don't understand how a car manufacturer can design such ****e......"

Why oh why can a manufacturer destroy such an iconic product like the Impreza....tbh I haven't seen any reason to buy one since a classic type-r/type-ra...........r these people totally stupid or what ? is it market forces or some kinda design body making the calls becos boy oh boy r they f**kin it up big time..................
..it makes me think they are actively trying to avoid making a profit..............Subaru UK....... wake the f**k up and may be u will make some sales and money.
Old 27 September 2007, 09:12 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso
I looked at the hatchback Subaru Uk are calling the WRX and thought "what the f**k r these people on ?". I really don't understand how a car manufacturer can design such ****e......"

Why oh why can a manufacturer destroy such an iconic product like the Impreza....tbh I haven't seen any reason to buy one since a classic type-r/type-ra...........r these people totally stupid or what ? is it market forces or some kinda design body making the calls becos boy oh boy r they f**kin it up big time..................
..it makes me think they are actively trying to avoid making a profit..............Subaru UK....... wake the f**k up and may be u will make some sales and money.
See post above, but my guess is: (a) subaru just plain botched the design of the new WRX (b) they are backing away from the kind of people who come to scoobynet (c) the UK official dealers aren't selling many cars.

This amounts to (a) a forgettable looking 08 WRX (b) a watered down WRX (and probably a stronger STi), (c) restricted volumes of WRX's to the UK.

The WRX has been iconic for more than a decade, but has now fallen a long way behind its rivals in terms comfort, style and its performance is now just 'good' rather than 'unique'.

So what were the options ... ?

We all probably want --- weigh 1200kg, have +260bhp out of the box (got to keep ahead of the competion), handle like a supple go-kart, have fwd and look cool & sturdy. The interior ... whatever.

Subaru want --- more sales!!! -- broader appeal in a global market and better differentiation between the WRX and the STi ... If you want a performance icon, Subaru want you to spend more and choose the STi. And drop the WRX ppp. Terrible idea for STi sales. (I sold my STi and bought one!).

So think it does come down to profit. The UK is an odd market for cars. We buy loads of performance / prestige motors in volumes not seen in other parts of Europe. What eveyone else really wants are nice soft-sporty 4wd drive suv things with low emissions and oh yes, diesel. And oh surprise, Subaru are working on this now.

cheers.
Old 28 September 2007, 11:13 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Shame really.................
Old 30 September 2007, 07:25 PM
super6four
Scooby Regular

Go to Litchfield and drive the new JDM Civic (FD2). It is stunning, and no where near as harsh as Henderson made out on 5th gear. It is a great fun drive. Ok I know it seems a lot (23k) for a Civic, but calling it a civic is like saying an F22 is just an aeroplane.
Old 30 September 2007, 07:43 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

True, true!

Quick Reply: Now that UK/EU WRX is dead ... what next ?