Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Scoob v Evo V M3 (not a first!)

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2007, 10:26 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoob v Evo V M3 (not a first!)

Drove an M3 Evo - felt slow (bizzarely) and didnt bond - preferred my 530D.

Tried an Evo 8 - astonishing turn in but doesnt feel as well built as a Scoob and new clutches every 20k imply its a bit odd!

Was driven around in a 2003 Sti today and it seemed OK from pass seat, if a bit, quiet and tame compared to the 'stuck on rails' Evo.

Anoyone out there have long term ownership experiences of Evo's? (No point asking on MLR). They may look better but seem to be built a lot worse (holed piston /duff big ends STi V's excepted) ?

Thanks for any advice.

D
Old 03 September 2007, 01:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had MY00 Impreza Turbo, E46 M3 and Evo IX FQ340, and driven a variety of new age Imprezas in various states of tune.

They are all a compromise between running costs, depreciation, comfort, refinement, handling, all weather capability etc.

The late Evos and Imprezas are mechanically very strong in standard tune. The Evo will tune to 400 BHP easily and reliably with very little lag and is a fantastic drive in performance terms, clutches can last substantially longer than 20000 depending on luck and how you drive them, same with brake discs. Servicing is frequent.

The Subarus seem to need a 2.5 engine and turbo upgrade to match the overall power band of an Evo with stage I type mods, and even then the standard pistons are suspect. The JDM STI with twin scroll is much nearer, but the standard turbo won't get you to 400 BHP.

The Subarus sound nicer, are a little easier to live with daily, and service intervals are nicer.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different compromises.
Old 03 September 2007, 08:35 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice John. 300bhp would do it for me, but it would be nice to have a 2.5L engine in a Scoob if I were to get another.

I am a bit drawn to the Evo at the mo - I think I'll see what I can get and the best Scoob or Evo for under £10k gets the vote I guess. Ohh and I'm old fashioned about no service hiistory 'fresh off the boat' and no doubt still hot cars! Service history VERY sketchy on a lot out there!

D
Old 04 September 2007, 12:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

If I wanted 300 BHP, I would buy a new WRX for £14k, and do an STI turbo/TMIC and a remap.
Old 04 September 2007, 02:46 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
If I wanted 300 BHP, I would buy a new WRX for £14k, and do an STI turbo/TMIC and a remap.
Would you leave the standard exhaust?
Old 04 September 2007, 05:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Like you I like a quiet car, I would probably fit a decat downpipe at least since the turbo would be off.

Doing a nice WRX as a road car would I think be a challenge of not ruining it by over modifying it.

The gearbox & engine strength, brakes, suspension are the main barriers to making it a fireball, but working sympathetically around these limitations makes a performance bargain that should be reliable and very easy to live with.