Crap small car for learner

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2007, 08:45 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap small car for learner

Hi

My girlfriend is getting close to doing her driving test, what's a good car to get for me to get for her to practice in?

It'll not be kept for any length of time or used a great deal so budget is about £500. She plans to get something a bit better after passing her test for a few months.

So far I've thought about:

- Nissan Micra
- Nissan Sunny of similar vintage
- Corsa
- 106 / Saxo

I was also thinking less likely choices such as old Mazda 121 / Suzuki Swift could be good value if a bit nasty.

Any other ideas?
Old 14 August 2007, 09:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Perodua Nippa, 847cc three cylinders and dirt cheap to run in terms of economy and insurance. Daihatsu engined so parts can be pricey but generally very reliable. Surprisingly nippy too although weighs as much as an empty pack of ****. Can be a lot of fun as there is a surfeit of power over grip. Only thing is it looks like a Corgi toy!
Old 14 August 2007, 11:21 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

The old Micras (old shape two models ago) are fab cars to learn in. Responsive enough for a learner, short enough to feel confident in, and cheap to fix
Old 14 August 2007, 11:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even the last shape ones are worth buying, pick em up for about 500 quid, great for learning to drive in

Tony
Old 15 August 2007, 12:09 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Yes, but the bubble shaped ones are really horrible
Old 15 August 2007, 12:28 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Would avoid 106 and Saxo, they crumple far to easily in minor shunts...anything over 5mph on the front wrecks the bonet, wings, radiator etc...resulting in a car beyond repair after a minor shunt.

MK1 Corsas are strong little sheds, horrible to drive though and would give a learner bad habits.

For that, non PAS bubble shape Micra is ideal (Not having power steering makes them use the steering correctly...i.e only turn whilst moving; somthing completely lost on anyone who learns in a car with PAS)..imo of course.

Nissan Sunny: Solid, I ran a N13 for a few years which I bought for a few notes...couldn't break it - beware of noisy gearboxes though (same issue with boxy shape micras).

Problem with nissans is non-service parts are expensive.

Mazda 121 is a rebadge Fiesta....so may as well have one of them; Just make sure it has the right engine (16 valve zetec), avoid at all costs the pushrod Endura-E versions. These engines go ok, but just can't hack it when they get old (eat cam followers, camshafts and burn lots of oil) and beware cars badged as "zetec" can have an Endura engine as Zetec is also a trim spec as well as an engine name Beware of rusty sills and rear arches though...even on late facelift (triangular headlamps) models.

Also consider an MK2 Polo or MK2 Golf, just beware that many do get abused as people think they are indestructible (its a car - if neglected, they will break like any other car ). Also MK2 Polos don't have vacuum assisted brakes; they work ok - so long as the rear drums are adjusted right and all the air is beld out with nice fresh fluid. Also both MK2 Polos and Golfs suffer crankcase ventilation problesm if the engine has been neglected on oil changes; resulting in oil getting into the inlet and making it smoke and guzzle oil; not so bad to fix on the golf, but a pain to fix on the polo due to poor access to the PCV valve.

Last edited by Shark Man; 15 August 2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 15 August 2007, 07:26 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, it seems the Mr Men shape Nissan Micra is still the favourite. There are plenty about too.

I was thinking about the even older Mazda 121, the boxy early 90s one not the rebadged Fiesta. No doubt a horrible little car but I do remember them being cheap. Probably all rusted away by now.