Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Modding a lease car ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2007, 06:39 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding a lease car ?

Im getting a Lexus IS220d next week as a company car but is the standard one with 16 inch wheels but I want to put a set of Lexus 18 inch wheels on it.
Can any one see anything wrong in doing this ? Ill obviously keep the original wheels and put them back on at the end of the lease but my wife keeps telling me its wrong and I shouldnt touch it as its a lease car but I think they look crap with 16 inch wheels but fantastic with 18 inch wheels ....what do you guys think ?
Old 14 August 2007, 06:53 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

I'd be amazed if that wasn't a breach of the lease terms. Whether anybody finds out or cares is a different issue, although I'd have thought changing the wheels would need to be notified to insurers and there'd be a record if so.
Old 14 August 2007, 07:48 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Also dont some lease cars maintain them including tyres. The lease company would not pay for the 18's if they were not supplied in the agreement.
Old 14 August 2007, 09:01 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, its non maintenance so tyres wouldnt be an issue just the extra cost for the company to replace them but as its my wifes company im sure I could get that one through expenses .
I was looking through the insurance T&C's and it says manufacture optional extras are allowed and as the 18 inch wheels would be Lexus OEM wheels which you can spec as an option for the car wouldnt that be OK ?
I cant find anything relevant in the lease T&C's though, im sure ill be ok with a set of wheels be may have to rethink the eibach -30mm springs
Old 15 August 2007, 04:37 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Attu
Hi guys, its non maintenance so tyres wouldnt be an issue just the extra cost for the company to replace them but as its my wifes company im sure I could get that one through expenses .
I was looking through the insurance T&C's and it says manufacture optional extras are allowed and as the 18 inch wheels would be Lexus OEM wheels which you can spec as an option for the car wouldnt that be OK ?
I cant find anything relevant in the lease T&C's though, im sure ill be ok with a set of wheels be may have to rethink the eibach -30mm springs
I had the same issues when I first opted out of company car scheme around 10 years ago. I went for a Volvo T4 which I then couldn't stop tampering with. I added wheels, boost gauge, 4" cat back exhaust, K&N, front grill, lowering springs and finally Blitz boost controller upping the boost to 1.3bar .
I thought I had non-maintanence agreement and gave up the car a year early to buy another scoob. I removed the boost controller but left everything else as it was. No comment was ever made and I only had to settle penalty clause for coming out of contract early. Afterwards I discovered that I had been paying for full maintanence! What a pillock!
Old 16 August 2007, 08:50 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I think ill got for a new set of wheels and see where I go from there, our drive way is a bit on the steep side and I may well not get the Lexus down if I lowered it, had the same problem with a Laguna I had years ago and had to get my farther in law to come round and tow me off the drive as all 4 wheels were off the ground so I dont want to be doing that again