Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

TT ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2007, 10:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT ?

Ok, I am not on the turn or taking up hairdressing but I cant find anything that I like, I loved the TT when it came out but the image ruined it for me, but recently I have been noticing them again seeing as the hyper trendy image has worn off a bit with the new model coming out.

I want something quick-ish, a bit special, pref a Coupe, nice interior so the TT fits the bill, not that bothered about ultimate ability, the wife hates Scoobs, Evo's Skylines and all that stuff and to be honest I have lost interest.

So a 2003 Misano Red 225 Coupe with 18 inch RS4 alloys for about 13 grand ?

Flames suit on, double zipped and fire extinguisher at the ready.
Old 08 August 2007, 10:21 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had one before my current Scooby.....spent quite a bit on mods on it (they're VERY moddable which is good ) and it was a very capable car m8.

I had many enjoyable drives through Mid Wales in it and it never felt out of it's depth going flat out on real drivers roads......mine wasn't standard though
Old 08 August 2007, 10:22 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You did ask for it..

Old 08 August 2007, 10:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It does make me wonder though, people saying that they dont handle etc, they may not be the best but surely they must cover ground very quickly, i.e. plenty quick enough for me and like you say the option of a chip to 270 bhp.

I saw the point when I sat in one, sit in a Scoob it needs to be moving (quickly) to see the point (not to slag Scoobs by the way).

I want the wife to want to drive it (on her birthday) and not moan about it every time we go in it.
Old 08 August 2007, 10:27 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I like them. They are a bit "fancy" outside but inside very nice and when I've driven one, it was very good to drive lazily in 6th and just as good pushing on through the gears. Once you're in it, you can't see the outside anyway!

And very mod friendly as already said.

And you're right on the wheels, the blocky 5 and 6 spoke fare are poop. RS's or BBS's.
Old 08 August 2007, 10:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I like the outside, remember when it came out (came out, as in released to market that is) it was stunning but familiarity breeds contempt.

Only trouble is, I am working on contract, good money so I can afford it but dont know where (or if) I will be working after October.

Also, a good TT debate might breathe some life into Other Marques !
Old 09 August 2007, 01:02 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Am in a similar boat. Got a civic type r at the minute, which is great, but I am bored and fancy a change.

My missus hates Evos, scoobs, etc too, in fact anything with a big spoiler and a "disfigured bonnet" as she calls it, the CTR is okay because it is not too in your face, but she hates the noise, and in all honesty would probably be quite happy if i got a 320D.

I think TT's in Red or Kingfisher blue look great. Yes you will get all the usual perm stuff thrown at you by petrolheads, but four wheel drive, quality interior, modification potential surely have got to make it worth a look. Plus depreciation is pretty kind, so if it does not suit, it should be easy enough to move on without losing a packet??

Trending Topics

Old 09 August 2007, 01:21 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Just a thought, and not trying to stir things or anything, but why do people care so much what their misses' think of their car?

As long as my wife likes her car and I like mine, can't see a problem. Unless of course you are a one car family and it's both of yours.
Old 09 August 2007, 01:41 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I suppose handling and grip are different things, Scoobs dont handle but they grip like buggery.

same with a TT, my buddy has one and i was (pleasantly) shocked when he hoofed around the nearest roundabout, the grip is quite astonishing, i doubt my old 99 classic which was lowered with Toyos could have gone much faster.

quick'ish but really need a remap to shine.

the only thing for me is they are bloody cramped. i'm a big fella and i struggle getting in due to the door height.

dont expect any room in the back either for anything more than kiddies or dwarfs
Old 09 August 2007, 03:22 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Ok, I am not on the turn or taking up hairdressing but I cant find anything that I like, I loved the TT when it came out but the image ruined it for me, but recently I have been noticing them again seeing as the hyper trendy image has worn off a bit with the new model coming out.

I want something quick-ish, a bit special, pref a Coupe, nice interior so the TT fits the bill, not that bothered about ultimate ability, the wife hates Scoobs, Evo's Skylines and all that stuff and to be honest I have lost interest.

So a 2003 Misano Red 225 Coupe with 18 inch RS4 alloys for about 13 grand ?

Flames suit on, double zipped and fire extinguisher at the ready.
Best colour imo, exspecially with a light grey interior.

Personally, I like them to look at, don't like them to drive.

Torquey engine, not great at the top end. Nice interiors untill you look really close and discover that they are not actuallt as good quality as they first appear. Very, very cramped inside.

What puts me off is the fact that the chassis just feels numb. Feedback is hopeless, steering is just ok, spring and dampers (like every other Audi of that generation) are badly matched.

Chassis feel is bad (its an Audi) and they understeer at slow speeds as the 4wd is haldex and reactionary, not a full time system. They understeer more the faster you go to promote stability because the first ones were prone to swapping ends at high speed. Almost like a post elk test A Class, if I was to be unkind.

Good grip (understeer aside) decent enough build (but don't believe all the hype) and still look good (imo)

Not a drivers car, but not a bad one by any means. Your wife will probably love it if she hates the Japanese turbo cars.

Mine, when she drove one quickly hated it - mind you, she was driving a DC2 Integra at the time which understeered significantly less and gave monumentally more feedback through steering and backside

Last edited by Devildog; 10 August 2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Tidying up what I actually meant..lol...
Old 09 August 2007, 03:24 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Oh, and make sure that all the wheels are round - some of the 18's were very soft
Old 09 August 2007, 09:34 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Devildog is right about them tending to understeer, but like most cars, a little work goes a long way.

Eibach springs with a geo setup is the first step followed by uprated anti-rollbars (Golf R32 ones are a popular choice), and then the bit which cures the understeer, an uprated Haldex controller which gives more bias to the rear in normal use.

Believe me, doing the above makes a WORLD of difference!

Brembo front and rear brakes can go on when you're feeling a little bit "in the money" although I never experienced a problem with my standard setup on "spirited" runs through Mid Wales.

Do I miss mine? Absolutely!!!
Old 10 August 2007, 10:32 AM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Oh, and make sure that all the wheels are round - some of the 18's were very soft
Only on the B5 RS4, different ET (20) to the wheels on the TT which have ET35. Same design - different wheels!
Old 10 August 2007, 06:05 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobberdoo
Only on the B5 RS4, different ET (20) to the wheels on the TT which have ET35. Same design - different wheels!
Ah, cool, cheers
Old 10 August 2007, 06:13 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Crossed my mind recently too... a late spec 225 Coupe with mild performance and handling mods to give a 270-280bhp car with great build quality, good looks and fairly rewarding handling all for under 15k.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 10 August 2007, 09:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Apparently an upgraded Haldex controller makes a big difference.
Old 18 August 2007, 03:08 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Apparently an upgraded Haldex controller makes a big difference.
it does indeed. Remember the TT was aimed at the less enthusiastic motorists and more to the trendy types. It also didnt help that audi had to rush out tweaks to make the TT's softer due to worries of the car being unstable.