Drove a Uk scooby modded to 280bhp...BUT

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2007, 04:33 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a Uk scooby modded to 280bhp...BUT

...... was left dissapointed.

I must point out that im not anti scooby or pro evo infact i nearly bought an impreza in the past. I had a go of a relatives recently purchased p reg uk scooby with a 280 bhp engine and after taking it out i didnt find it mega quick, in fact it didnt feel alot faster than my old S13 200 sx std.

I did like the smoothness of the engine and the handling was ace but i was left just dissapointed, perhaps its the fact that for many years ive red about imprezas/evos but have never driven either and was expecting earth shattering performance. :-(

I havnt got a car at the moment having sold my williams and have wanted a Evo for many years, I can only hope that a Evo is much better than the scooby i drove today as if i do get one it will be most that ive spent on a car......

oh well
Old 28 July 2007, 10:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Default Or maybe ?

Perhaps he was told it had 280 bhp.... LOL

Or your old car was light and silly quick ?

My mate had a Bluebird Turbo, he felt the same way about his Scoob....
Old 29 July 2007, 12:23 AM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

buy an evo then, probably faster than a similar spec scoob.

however, for the small performance increase, you also get to replace tyres, brakes and clutches every 5-10k miles when you service it...

hardcore car, hardcore owner required!
Old 29 July 2007, 09:42 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

a uk scooby with a td04 will probably not get to 280 bhp ??
Old 29 July 2007, 10:45 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I've never understood why people bother modding a UK spec. A JDM STi will have that power straight out of the box plus the better hardware to start with.
Try a Spec C or Type R/RA.

Nick
Old 29 July 2007, 11:48 AM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong it was slow but i expected so much more, the power delivery was so smooth - there was no on-off power what ive had in other turbo cars like my 200sx and a pulsar.

Perhaps it isnt a genuin 280 bhp?? he did say he had all the papper work - Oh well im really stuck on what to do, ive wanted an evo for 5 years, finally done the house thing and sold my williams which i didnt really like one bit and i just wannna get the car ive always wanted now but my head is telling me not too :-(
Old 29 July 2007, 01:32 PM
Fishface
Scooby Regular

How much have you go to spend?

An Evo VIII or IX FQ-360 would impress you
Old 29 July 2007, 03:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what your after, if you have the money then go for a new age JDM STi (twin scroll version) much nicer than a classic or if you like the classics, forget the UK cars and go for a JDM STi and get it remapped
Evo's are nice cars but on a 98 UK your looking at a V4 evo (which are ok but not the strongest engines) but there is no real comparison with a tuned UK car and an unmodded JDM evo

Tony
Old 29 July 2007, 11:28 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

well i got 5-6k or i can stretch with finance for 10k max but it would have to be evo 6.

Im really struggling to decide what to do, i got 3 choices really, spend 4k and buy an M3 e36 which i know are good cars/reliable fast or 6 k on an evo 4 which i want alot but have always wanted the evo 6 but they are more money.......

You say buy a jdm sti and get it remapped??? is it to make it faster or for fuel?
Old 30 July 2007, 11:40 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mozzaITA
You say buy a jdm sti and get it remapped??? is it to make it faster or for fuel?
Both
Though really the classics aint quite as good as the evo of similar era, they are still damn good fun though an evo 6 would be tempting

Tony
Old 30 July 2007, 07:05 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm im still confused what to do for the best, might actually go and see an evo6 - try it out and then make my mind up - seen some sti 96reg for 4-5k maybe thats the answer for my quest for fun? lol
Old 30 July 2007, 08:24 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I used to have an S13 standard, and then after I modded it a bit it had an estimated 210bhp.

Both imprezas I have owned have been way, way faster.

First was a WRX classic import with an estimated 270bhp, and current UK Turbo remapped to 273/273.

If your mates doesn't feel much faster than your S13, then there is no way it is running @ 280bhp.

Also, the UKs with the TD04 have very early spool - approx. 2500rpm so not massive on/off punch.

The JDM WRXs however with the TD05, come in a bit later so more of an explosive punch if you know what I mean.
Old 30 July 2007, 10:51 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

got to say 280 ina classic is p1 power and if your dissapointed with that your either mighty hard to please or it aint making the power. try an evo6 and see how you feel, i almost bought a makkinen , beautiful car but just couldnt justify the extra money and running costs over my 240 hp classic.
Old 31 July 2007, 05:14 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

To be fair chap you have drove a Uk spec Scooby with 280bhp its not going to blow your socks off, Even if you drove a standard Evo 6 GSR with 276bhp you will be very dissopointed.

I had a Evo 7 GSR and to be honest even with 360bhp I found it very tame compared to some of my old scoobys with less power, the power delivery on a Evo is very smooth where as the scooby the power comes all at once and throws you back in the seat. If you really are thinking of getting a scooby go and look at a Classic scooby Type R or RA, if they dont impress you, then go and test drive a Evo 6 RS.
Old 31 July 2007, 07:30 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Oh no dont say that scooby boy, an Evo is my hero, ive had pictures on my wall for years lol (ive grown up now).......... Its not as if ive had mega powerful cars recently, all ive had is a Williams clio which isnt a great deal powerful in my mind, had a s13 200 sx pretty standard which felt fast in my book with its on/off type power delivery.

The Scooby felt fast but so smooth, not what i was expecting for a 280 bhp car, perhaps it isnt running that bhp????.... I want to be pushed back into the seat type of fast.

Ahhh why dont i know anybody with a decent car!! lol

Anybody know of a dealership with both evo's/scoobies near hertfordshire?
Old 01 August 2007, 03:43 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I own a Evo VI RSX and I still love scoobys, I would rather have a scooby over most Evo's except maybe the Evo RS models, or a Evo 9 GT. Not in a million years would I have a Evo GSR as they really are boring and idiot proof(Anyone can drive it quick) and are bottom of the range models compared to some of the scoobys that you could buy in your budget.

£4-5K could get you a good Type RA where as £7-9k would get you a Evo V GSR or VI GSR at a push. Dont think Evo's are the bees knees as I always thought they where the superior car until my mates 320bhp Type RA destroyed my old 360bhp Evo 7.
Old 01 August 2007, 04:47 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

When i owned my 291 BHP Bugeye a mate off the MLR Forums had a slighly modded Evo 6 Makinnen (Spelling ?) it was very very quick and would destroy my WRX.

Yes the tyres on his car were border line illegal but the thing spun its wheels in 3rd gear at 80 MPH in the wet, scary thing.He was pleased to be getting 12 MPG out of the thing on full boost.

Servicing every 4k was another small matter i wouldnt put up with.

Last edited by ZIPPY; 01 August 2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Type o
Old 01 August 2007, 08:26 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Finding mixed views, think the only answer is for me to try one (evo) and probably another scooby aswell (jdm one)

Im not big on high speed but really want quick 0-100, i guess best scooby for that is a sti v4/5?
Old 01 August 2007, 09:59 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

For a quick car from 0-100 you cannot go wrong with a STi V5 type ra and thats in standard form!

Banny
Old 02 August 2007, 06:37 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Yeah think ur right benny, just need to look at one where i live hertfordshire...... Are there any downside of sti v5 imprezzas? any common things i need to know without using the old search?

Just drove an m3 evo e36 and really enjoyed it, much better sensation of speed compared to that scooby i drove saturday.

Getting excited now over possible new car woo hooo

Last edited by mozzaITA; 02 August 2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: error
Old 03 August 2007, 06:57 PM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

Mozza, i Think i remember you from cliosport. I also had a williams 2 and swapped it in for my wrx v-limited. The difference in performance was unreal.

If your serious in going the Evo route go for the Evo 5, these are usually 2K cheaper than the 6 and you can use the spare extra cash for servicing and the extra fuel costs.

The Evo 6 imho is way overpriced for what your getting for ya money and sometimes the Evo 7 can be had cheaper.

But however tempting stay away from the Evo 4`s They are bloody good cars in standard trim and good value for money but like most people if you begin to crave more power and what to start moddifing the engine DONT!!!

The engines on the 4`s are very weak and anything more than a s/s exhaust and a remap is a big no no,

How many miles will you use this car for?, if you want something as just a weekend toy then forget about evo`s. Go for the version 3 or 4 impreza sti ra. these cars will out accelerate almost anything. some of these machines standard have been known to pull 0-60 in 4.5secs due to the extremely low ratio gearing. but with everything with a plus side there is a downside and if you do alot of motorway miles you can forget about the ra
Old 03 August 2007, 09:37 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Hey wrx, ive been on clio sport before.... I agree with you on the Evo 4, spent ages reading many pages on engine failure 'crank walk' etc..... Thats enough for me so they are a no-no.

Most of the 5 ive seen for sale arnt that much cheaper than a 6 to be honest, obviously i dont wanna pay over the odds for a motor so i would consider a 5 everyday of the week.

I dont do that many miles say for work about 200 miles per week but i can put some of them miles on my bro's car as we car swap sometimes as he walks to work so im guess mileage wont be the real issue.

I just want as quick and reliable motor i can afford, im fed up with hot/warm hatches/cars , i want to be scared lol!

How hard is it to find a decent impreza these days? 2 years ago i looked at many and they were all dogs, painted left right and centre.