Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Westfields

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2007, 10:02 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Westfields

Been looking at these recently,after selling the scoob last year .Thought I could do without cars and speed etc.
Unfortunately the bug does not go away ,and I need my fix again .Had a ride out in a Megabusa last night and it was truly awesome .It actually accelerated like a bike (yes it has a bike engine !!!),but even pulling a car ,albeit a light one it still shifted like holy hell !!.
I had been looking at Cossy powered Westfields (but have not been in one yet ),and am now torn as to which is the best route .I want it for track days mainly and the odd ride out in the sun ,if we get any(oop north).
Fantastic fun cars .
Old 13 July 2007, 09:08 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I have had a few Caterhams over the years - they are very similar.
The main thing you need to make sure is that it will fit your needs. I am not sure a turbo power car is much use on track myself.

Depends if you are just going for a stroll on track or want to put in some proper laps on a regular basis. For track work the busa is a good unit, has a fair bit more torque than most other bike engines which means its road manners are ok. Engine failures do happen though, reversing boxes can play up etc. But if you are willing to get your hands dirty its all easy to fix and even changing an engine will take less than a day.

If you do go the car engine route then zetec is a good choice, lots of options for induction and ecus etc etc. Strong units which can cope with lots of laps. Other option is to go duratec, more modern unit and can easily put out enough power to keep up with a busa. Torque is impressive too.

So its swings and roundabouts really. I run a c.200bhp K series engine in my 7 with a 6 speed gear box and 3.6 diff, goes well.

BUT, and this is the big but, dont think you need mega power to be quick on track, a well driven 130bhp caterfield can keep up with most cars - the driver makes a massive difference, so even if you cant get something with mega power I would not be dissapointed - go for something that you can set up and get plenty of track time in and you will be having lots of fun - which is what its all about.

Regarding buying, I would wait till near xmas, Dec and Jan are the best time to buy - you will save a bit of money. Best of luck, if you are in the Manchester area there are a few Caterham / Westfield meetings in the area.
Old 13 July 2007, 09:52 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Dont discount Dax - a work colleque runs a 4.0 V8 one and it is simply awesome both in looks and performance
Old 13 July 2007, 01:49 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
I have had a few Caterhams over the years - they are very similar.
The main thing you need to make sure is that it will fit your needs. I am not sure a turbo power car is much use on track myself.

Depends if you are just going for a stroll on track or want to put in some proper laps on a regular basis. For track work the busa is a good unit, has a fair bit more torque than most other bike engines which means its road manners are ok. Engine failures do happen though, reversing boxes can play up etc. But if you are willing to get your hands dirty its all easy to fix and even changing an engine will take less than a day.

If you do go the car engine route then zetec is a good choice, lots of options for induction and ecus etc etc. Strong units which can cope with lots of laps. Other option is to go duratec, more modern unit and can easily put out enough power to keep up with a busa. Torque is impressive too.

So its swings and roundabouts really. I run a c.200bhp K series engine in my 7 with a 6 speed gear box and 3.6 diff, goes well.

BUT, and this is the big but, dont think you need mega power to be quick on track, a well driven 130bhp caterfield can keep up with most cars - the driver makes a massive difference, so even if you cant get something with mega power I would not be dissapointed - go for something that you can set up and get plenty of track time in and you will be having lots of fun - which is what its all about.

Regarding buying, I would wait till near xmas, Dec and Jan are the best time to buy - you will save a bit of money. Best of luck, if you are in the Manchester area there are a few Caterham / Westfield meetings in the area.
I went to a meet the other night at the Horton Arms .Thats were I cadged a ride in the Busa .I imagine it would be superb round a track .It was great on the road and very enjoyable .I agree the driver is probably as important as the amount of power .
I want one that is good for both road and track really and I do like the Cossy Turbo engine .
Will wait and see what is available when the money is in my hands.
Regards.
Old 13 July 2007, 03:14 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If its for road and track then a zetec is a good bet, on throttle bodies. Plenty of torque for mid range road use and then good peformance up at the top 30% of the revs for track use.
Old 13 July 2007, 05:35 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

i was at the same frame of mind as you 2months ago when i sold my impreza type r didnt know what to do.i wanted a cossie turbo lump in a westfield so i went to a kit car show and speaking to lots of peaple and they all said stay away from turbos youl kill yourself so i looked at all the options and there are lots of lotus 7 inspired cars out there my faverate is the raw stricker with r1 engine but couldnt find one built.then a friend of mine got talking to a bloke and he had in his garage a locost space frame (abit rusty but cleaned up nicely)and boxes and boxes of goodies including a1300 xflow engine and gearbox everything needed to build a very good car and i bought it for £400,iv started building it and another freind has given me a 2lt vauxhall red top engine and after going on the track with a driver from the cateram chalenge in his 1600 fly round the track as quick as a 911s/scoobys and evos thats more than enough power i will put some picks up in projecks when ive done abit more to her.theres loads to buy at the moment and the best thing is its so cheap to insure and run compared to the scoob and so much fun its the way foward.
Old 13 July 2007, 08:19 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

To be honest if you're planning serious (rather than 2 or 3 days a year) track work then a bike engine needs no little work to remain reliable.

If the budget will stretch then a Durateq motor is a cracker, otherwise Zetec or a rebuilt Vauxhall Redtop will do well.

Depending on the circuit, as a previous poster said, a 115bhp K-series will embarass many, many cars.

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2007, 10:15 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its true that the power is no real use on the road. I find c.160bhp is the most you will ever need in a 500kg car on the road as over this you just cant use the power without risking your life/licence! On track you can use all the power you can get though.

I owned a 160bhp R300 and on the road it was perfect but on track I found it was just not quite enough for me, now have an SLR which is almost 200bhp and on the road you have to be careful as 90mph comes up in about 7 or 8 seconds.. and from 40mph in 3rd gear its even faster.