Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Corsa 1.2 SXI

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2007, 07:49 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa 1.2 SXI

Im on the lookout for a corsa sxi for my mates sister, just wondering if anyone knows of any problems with them?

Her budjet will stretch to 4k which will get her a 4-5 year old, i found one today in excellent condition but the only problem was there was no service history. Now the garage selling it said the owners partner was a mechanic who used to service it for her and it runs superb so i dont see a problem, what do you think?

Its an 03 and only done 36k.

thanks ste
Old 18 June 2007, 08:37 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
Im on the lookout for a corsa sxi for my mates sister, just wondering if anyone knows of any problems with them?

Her budjet will stretch to 4k which will get her a 4-5 year old, i found one today in excellent condition but the only problem was there was no service history. Now the garage selling it said the owners partner was a mechanic who used to service it for her and it runs superb so i dont see a problem, what do you think?

Its an 03 and only done 36k.

thanks ste
I'll admit to not knowing everything about them, but a quick search on Autotrader shows that 4k gets a 2004 or 2005 car.

As for the mechanic's history, he may well be telling the truth - but can your mates sister explain the gap in service history when she comes to sell it?

Id buy elsewhere, the markets riddled with them..

Chris
Old 19 June 2007, 12:25 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Had one as courtesy car for 2 weeks, so a very short time to give an accurate assessment on the car.

The 1.2 engine is woefully crap and had to be revved to kingdom come to get anything of substance out of it. Because of this, the MPG averaged about 32 which is crap considering.

The trim quality was again poor and several things fell off.

The car had 2500 miles. I think it did everything on the tin (just about). But, personally I would go for a Fiesta

Ford : 03 Fiesta MK6 (New Shape)

or something a bit different and not that much bigger....

An Alfa 147?
Old 19 June 2007, 07:04 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

The car is her first one so the engine has to be small due to the insurance issue. The reason she isnt going for the fiesta is because the 1.25 engine is just as slow and the 1.4 aint much better, the SXI is the sportiest looking of them all so thats why she wants one of them
Old 19 June 2007, 01:13 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

My other half has the 1 litre corsa on a 53 plate, it's pretty solid build for a vauxhall, runs quite well and has had no big problems, it has 35000 on the clock.
I wouldn't fancy driving it on motorway's but it's ok for her use.
Old 19 June 2007, 01:38 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend drives a 1.4SXi+ on a 56 plate, it cost about £7k. They are not crap cars, they are very good at what they do, just functional runabouts and great first time cars in 1.2 guise. She gets 40mpg from the car so 32mpg from a 1.2 suggests it being caned constantly and I doubt this girl will drive it like that. Build quality is better than you might expect and they are cheap to run, insure etc. I agree with above though, don't touch the one that has been maintained by some mechanic, sounds well dodgy and given there are lots of the 1.2's out there, you will pick one up with a proper, full, service history and in mint condition with low milage I would guess.
Don't touch the one your looking at, keep hunting and be patient, you will find a gem somewhere soon.
Good luck.