Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Need advice on getting a Rover upand running

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2007, 10:51 AM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on getting a Rover upand running

Hi guys, as above I need some help with my Rover 214si.

I tried selling it when I got my Scoob but failed and its been sitting off road since, I kept it running for a while but sort of forgot about it for a few months so shes not running now.

I've posted the car on hear before, its a realy nice blue 3dr with a 1.8 K engine from an MGF with new high lift cams, custom exhaust, Manifold, black diamond front discs and pads,Koni shocks, nice set of polished Wolfrace 17" wheels, Lexus lights(was a good idea at the time ), the engine has only done about 30000 and came with clutch and gearbox, there's a few other bits too but I wont go on.

Question 1: Whats it worth now? it has two faults, one is a noisy locking system the other is with emissions not getting past MOT, no **** taking please , if its worth doing how do I sort out the emissions for the MOT?

Question 2: Bearing in mind the faults, should I just sell it for parts? there's a lot of money on the car(engine, wheels etc) if I do how do I go about this? I'm no mechanic and I haven't anywhere to do it really.

Question 3: I need to get it running again, what do I need to check or do? thinking oil change, new plugs and charging battery, what else?

Question 4: Anybody want to take it off me hands? someone who knows what there doing could have a good little motor for very little money

Cheers for any help
Old 19 May 2007, 11:35 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

How old is the Rover, what sort of condition is it in?

TBH you have a narrow market for it, it is an old duffers car by nature however you have modded it so it will have no appeal to them.

The younger market will struggle to insure it so puts them out of the picture you need to find a Rover enthusiast or such, suggest you find a forum for them. It may be worth more as parts.

Re MOT it is unlikely to be plugs unless missing. More likely Lambda or maf or o2 sensor or CAT (assuming it has one fitted) or may just need tuning. Re locking - if you mean central locking then it is an old car so what, not really a deal breaker. MOT is the killer and may require a reasonable investment. You have changed a few parts so it may be the ECU does not match the cams/stste of tuine and it will not ever reach the required standard as it is.

dependant on ages/condiditon
wirthout MOT £ 0.00
With £ 200.00-£ 300.00 with a limited market 12 month ticket in good condition
as parts probably a more

Last edited by The Zohan; 19 May 2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 19 May 2007, 11:50 AM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
How old is the Rover, what sort of condition is it in?

TBH you have a narrow market for it, it is an old duffers car by nature however you have modded it so it will have no appeal to them.

The younger market will struggle to insure it so puts them out of the picture you need to find a Rover enthusiast or such, suggest you find a forum for them. It may be worth more as parts.

Re MOT it is unlikely to be plugs unless missing. More likely Lambda or maf or o2 sensor or CAT (assuming it has one fitted) or may just need tuning. Re locking - if you mean central locking then it is an old car so what, not really a deal breaker. MOT is the killer and may require a reasonable investment. You have changed a few parts so it may be the ECU does not match the cams/stste of tuine and it will not ever reach the required standard as it is.

dependant on ages/condiditon
wirthout MOT £ 0.00
With £ 200.00-£ 300.00 with a limited market 12 month ticket in good condition
as parts probably a more
Hi cheers mate, that's why I had trouble selling before,the oldies didn't want it because its modded and the kids didn't want it because its a Rover full stop , still get narked when people take the **** out of the older Rovers my little bubble not only looked better than a lot of other hatches out there but out performed them too.

Its a 97 P plate, I was fearing I'd have to sell it for parts , the wheels alone are worth at least £100-£150(sold an older set of Walfrace for £170 last year)
I spent 5k on her in total 5k! why I didn't just get me Scoob I don't know mind you that was spent over about 3-4 years.
Was thinking the engine would be worth a couple of hundred? I know its a notorious 'K' series but its quit low miles.

Cheers for the reply, posting on a Rover forums a good idea I'll do it now.
Old 19 May 2007, 11:53 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JPF
Hi cheers mate, that's why I had trouble selling before,the oldies didn't want it because its modded and the kids didn't want it because its a Rover full stop , still get narked when people take the **** out of the older Rovers my little bubble not only looked better than a lot of other hatches out there but out performed them too.

Its a 97 P plate, I was fearing I'd have to sell it for parts , the wheels alone are worth at least £100-£150(sold an older set of Walfrace for £170 last year)
I spent 5k on her in total 5k! why I didn't just get me Scoob I don't know mind you that was spent over about 3-4 years.
Was thinking the engine would be worth a couple of hundred? I know its a notorious 'K' series but its quit low miles.

Cheers for the reply, posting on a Rover forums a good idea I'll do it now.
Good luck, you like many of us have sppent ££££'s on old cars over the years, all part of the learning experience and fun as well.

I do recon selling it as parts is the may to go and a dedicated forum for Rovers is a good place to start, maybe an MGF dedicatedforum to sell the engine or even a kit car forum for the engine.
Old 19 May 2007, 12:03 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Yep posted on MG-Rover.org, its times like this I really wish I had a garage

Yep definitely a learning cure mate, don't think I'll mod my Scoob, if I feel I need a bit more umph I'll just get another car, saying that I do seem to have a knack for getting attached to cars know way I'd sell my classic at the mo
Old 20 May 2007, 02:22 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

Rovertech is your best bet to advetise it.