Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi RS5 (yes I do mean 5, not the 4)

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2007, 01:18 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi RS5 (yes I do mean 5, not the 4)

Poor E92 M3

The RS5? Already?

Audi is busy prepping three new versions of its new A5 coupe – headlined by this blistering 450bhp RS5 that arrives early next year to take on its new BMW M3 and Mercedes C63 rivals. Like all R models, the topdog A5 has been fully developed by Quattro, Audi’s in-house go-fast engineering team.

As our impressions show, the RS5 will get the full Quattro treatment. The glorious high-revving 4.2-litre V8 that powers the RS4 gets plumbed into the RS5’s nose, complete with two small and highly responsive turbochargers that will take peak power up to the 450bhp. That’s not a great deal more than the S5’s 354bhp, but the RS5 searing pace will come from its phenomenal blower-enhanced torque – expect at least 500lb ft of twist action to plateau across the rev range.

So another low-flying German missile?

You betcha. With its quattro all-paw grip, the RS5 should scrabble to 60mph in four seconds dead and hit an easy 155mph before the electronics call it a day. Like the S5, the hot RS5 will exploit the new A5 chassis layout, which has shifted the front axle 120mm further forward for a better 55:45 front-rear balance. But don't think that the RS5 will be a mere point-and-shoot speed weapon – Quattro waved it magic wand over the RS4, and the RS5 is expected to be just as pin-sharp to drive.

To this end, the RS5’s rear-biased quattro system will give the big coupe a more neutral handling balance. To keep the RS4 on the straight and narrow and keep a tight rein on body control, it will be fitted with carbon ceramic brakes lifted from the R8, 19inch alloys, as well as modified magnetic ride dampers borrowed from the TT. All this technology and pace will come at a price – expect the RS5 to wade in with a £53,000 price tag, in line with BMW’s £50,625 M3.

What about the other models you mentioned?

Well, after cabriolet versions of the A5 – from 2.7-litre TDI right through to the RS5, Audi will introduce the A5 Sportback in 2010. Audi’s development team, under chairman Rupert Stadler, claims to have created a truly unique coupe-***-shooting brake layout, complete with a practical tailgate that’s neatly integrated into the flowing bodyline.

Sleeker and sportier than, for instance, the abandoned Roadjet project, the four-door Sportback is the joint creation of chief designer Walter de’Silva, head of advanced design Flavio Manzoni, and designers Wolfgang Egger and Stefan Sielaff. It is, according to our sources, one of the most striking Audi designs since the original TT.

And stuffed full of new technology, no doubt?

Of course. This is Audi remember. The Sportback will be the first Audi to feature QTV - quattro torque vectoring. By upgrading its quattro system with additional electromagnetic clutches, QTV will work in conjunction with braking sensors to monitor steering angle, yaw rates, road speed and torque levels. It will then apportion torque not only between front and rear axle but also between left and right wheels.

Operating both under load and during throttle lift-off – arguably when the car is at its most unstable – QTV results in a more neutral cornering stance by dialing out excess over or understeer, as well as even more effective levels of traction and agility. Other packaging highlights include a multi-functional luggage cover, which also serves as wind and sun shade and a power-operated tailgate.

What about engines?

There will be a choice of three turbo charged direct-injection petrol fourpots delivering 150, 177 and 211bhp. Move up a step and there’s a 265bhp 3.2litre V6, against direct injection. And the top petrol for the moment is a 354bhp version of the naturally aspirated V8 found in the S5. Expect an RS5 Sportback to follow.

Diesel fans will be cater for with a wide choice, starting off with the familiar 170bhp 2.0-litre TDI, followed by a new 204bhp 2.0litre unit. The current 190bhp 2.7litre V6 will be dropped, and the line-up topped off by the familiar 240bhp 3.0litre variant again. A clean Bluetec diesel is also on the development board, as is a mild petrol-electric hybrid. Audi reckons that with the full A5 Sportback line-up in place, annual sales will reach 35,000.

Audi RS5 Scoop - Secret New Cars - Carmagazine.co.uk
Old 12 May 2007, 01:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Quite agree,a poor mans M3
Old 12 May 2007, 01:24 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Quite agree,a poor mans M3
it costs more and is faster than an M3

Audi RS6 totally outpowers the M5 and the RS5 will continue the trend set by the all the previous RS audi's. Only difference now is that audi no longer wait till the standard model is due to be replaced before introducing RS models!
Old 12 May 2007, 01:30 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

God that's a good looking car... Would rather have one than an M3 tbh.
Old 12 May 2007, 01:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Poor - as in deluded
Old 12 May 2007, 03:01 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Having both BMW's and Audi's got to say as an all round package the Audi literally runs rings around the BM. The ultimate driving machine - I don't think so - they actually should be prevented from using that phrase. The cars are poorly put together, the stealers are as bad as any I have known, the cars are overpriced and overhyped!

But hey, I still bought one
Old 12 May 2007, 03:26 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

That stunning , would much rather that than any M3.
Old 12 May 2007, 04:34 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Sorry but on looks, it just looks the same as the new 3 series BM coupe to me only with that silly oversized audi grille they seem to use on all the current models. Can't comment on the engine (as i know nothing about them) but the looks are pretty lame IMHO

Last edited by leonpoole; 12 May 2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12 May 2007, 04:39 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

alot nicer looking that any M3
Old 12 May 2007, 05:10 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

Yes very nice indeed , much nicer than the M3.
Old 12 May 2007, 05:52 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I have to agree, I think it is a very good looking. Would have a lot of road presence IMO.

I think Audi have upped their game considerably and are producing some very accomplished cars. I love the look of the R8 and would definitely buy one if I had the money, along with that RS5!
Old 12 May 2007, 06:02 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Nice looking car.

Mmmmm...... think i may have to look into them.

When are they showing signs for production?
Old 12 May 2007, 06:34 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Any prediction on the base list price ? I no it says £53K but that seems close to the RS4..

J
Old 12 May 2007, 06:58 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

That is a fine looking car....... but when all is said and done, you are still a boring dick!
Old 12 May 2007, 07:04 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
it costs more and is faster than an M3

Audi RS6 totally outpowers the M5 and the RS5 will continue the trend set by the all the previous RS audi's. Only difference now is that audi no longer wait till the standard model is due to be replaced before introducing RS models!
Wow, you've driven three cars no one else has: the new RS6, RS5 and the new M3. Either that or you're a ****.
Old 12 May 2007, 07:11 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badbaz
Having both BMW's and Audi's got to say as an all round package the Audi literally runs rings around the BM. The ultimate driving machine - I don't think so - they actually should be prevented from using that phrase. The cars are poorly put together, the stealers are as bad as any I have known, the cars are overpriced and overhyped!

But hey, I still bought one
Really? I had to have my fillings redone whenever my RS6 ran over a pot hole on the way to the dealers to get the DRC fixed (three times).

The Audi make some solid cars but they are pretty dull if you are a petrolhead. As for the dealers...
Old 12 May 2007, 09:43 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Cricky that is one hell of a smart looking car!!!

I have to admit I wasn't a fan of the A5 when I first saw it, but that RS5 looks fantastic!

Seeing as the new M3's looks are a bit of a let-down IMO I think I'd rather have one of them (and do without the drug-dealer/indian takeaway owner image at the same time)
Old 12 May 2007, 10:12 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Very strange,

Evo and autocar say the steering is really average yet car say its
brimming with feel. I note that car is the one getting the scoops
from audi. Good money that evo/autocar are right.

Audi don't do steering feel. Honestly the barge Cayanne has better
steering than any audi I've driven. Perhaps if Porsche could gain
control over Audi too. Imagine if every size audi could be
fully designed by Porsche-- note NOT like the silly RS2.

I'd take a Porsche RS-3!!! J
Old 12 May 2007, 10:38 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jeremy
Very strange,

Evo and autocar say the steering is really average yet car say its
brimming with feel. I note that car is the one getting the scoops
from audi. Good money that evo/autocar are right.

Audi don't do steering feel. Honestly the barge Cayanne has better
steering than any audi I've driven. Perhaps if Porsche could gain
control over Audi too. Imagine if every size audi could be
fully designed by Porsche-- note NOT like the silly RS2.

I'd take a Porsche RS-3!!! J
Cayenne ?? Barge ?? Have you driven one ??

Far from a barge my friend, a 911 on stilts yes ..... a barge no.

Try having 500 bhp on the school run.
Old 12 May 2007, 10:45 PM
evogt
Scooby Regular

Now thats a nice looking car, but I feel the new Nissan GTR is gunna whip its ***. My Nissan source tells me that some dealers will be getting some GTR's in September.
Old 13 May 2007, 04:14 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

"Cayenne ?? Barge ?? Have you driven one ??

Far from a barge my friend, a 911 on stilts yes ..... a barge no."

I think its the best big car I've driven--like a 911 on stilts with 1500lbs
straped on top. JL
Old 13 May 2007, 12:11 PM
Gompo
Scooby Regular

Doesnt look bad for an Audi - Any idea of the weight?
Old 13 May 2007, 12:56 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

This power race from the Germans is becoming absurd. That kind of power is ONLY EVER going to be used on the road by people who quite simply don't know how to handle it, assuming "Quattro" is out to save them.

Where's the balance, the delicacy, the finesse? Why is everything about Top Trumps figures?
Old 13 May 2007, 01:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Catering for the likes of Audiknob who cant see the wood for the trees !
Old 13 May 2007, 02:28 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blow Dog
This power race from the Germans is becoming absurd. That kind of power is ONLY EVER going to be used on the road by people who quite simply don't know how to handle it, assuming "Quattro" is out to save them.

Where's the balance, the delicacy, the finesse? Why is everything about Top Trumps figures?
Same for all these scoobies on this site going for 300/350/400/450/500+ bhp isn't it.
Old 13 May 2007, 02:52 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dam that thing is gorgeous!! Is it for real?
Old 14 May 2007, 10:51 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I like it alot.

Evo think it could even have a V10 with 500BHP.

Still, I think I'd rather have the RS4.
Old 14 May 2007, 11:13 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

I'm a big fan of the E46 M3, but from what I've seen of the E92, I don't think it looks anything like as good as that thar RS5!

Audilover.......I think you may actually be partially right for once........"poor E92 M3".

As for how it drives.....well....we'll just have to wait until someone who knows what they are talking about actually drives one won't we?

Past Audis have a habit of being less than the sum of their parts, and often fail to deliver the goods as well as you may expect.

I await a road test........sure is purdy though!!!
Old 14 May 2007, 11:28 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hardly a scoop really. TG tested it this month and think it could be better. Now the CCXR is a fine machine and green too
Old 14 May 2007, 11:32 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leonpoole
Sorry but on looks, it just looks the same as the new 3 series BM coupe to me only with that silly oversized audi grille they seem to use on all the current models. Can't comment on the engine (as i know nothing about them) but the looks are pretty lame IMHO
Completely agree, if you squint at the second picture it could almost be an 07 M3 anyway. Front end of the Audi looks nicer than BM's offering though IMO

Quick Reply: Audi RS5 (yes I do mean 5, not the 4)