What to buy for the 'family' man

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2007, 04:23 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy for the 'family' man

Looking for some suggestions guys

I currenlty have a Cayman S - v nice motor, but things are changing and I need a cheaper car that could cope with the onset of possible additions to the family. Don't need 4 doors but need 4 seats and a decent boot. I have a budget of no more than £30k and I can't think of anything I actually want...

Suggestions so far have been:

1. e46 M3 - had one before don't want another
2. new tt - too impractical

Actually I can't think of anything else. I want some quality and I wouldn't mind a quick diesel. I'm looking at a 330d coupe and thats the best I can think of in my budget - any ideas I'm stumped???

Matt
Old 01 May 2007, 04:39 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I will offer only 1 suggestion that is not listed above that could be a coupé but has 4 doors? Like it or loath it for just over budget you could get a Mercedes CLS CDI with about 30k. Nice elegant car with lots of space and economy to boot.

Although your suggestions so far seem fair - a Nearly new E90 320d/330d M sport coupe can be had for under budget.
Old 01 May 2007, 04:41 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Monaro VXR?
Old 01 May 2007, 04:43 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Seat Leon Cupra 2.0 TFSI.

Saves you 12k if you buy brand new, more if you dont.
Old 01 May 2007, 04:59 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

for once thats good advice shock horror
of the Leon FR if your after a derv
Old 01 May 2007, 05:28 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

M5 Perfect performance saloon, you can get a nice E39 for a decent price nowadays....
Old 01 May 2007, 05:48 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Trust me, you need 4 doors if you're gonna have one or more kids and one with plenty of leg room in the rear. Its no fun trying to get a rear facing seat into the back of a coupe, especially if you go for one of those that are part of a travel system as they're even bigger and heavier. Maybe ok for you, but unless your wife is a shot putter, her back will be fooked getting a bulk seat + child into the back, especially as the kid gets bigger.

3 Series saloon is OK though rear leg room is tight. Rear facing seats are long and unless you're short, or like to drive with the steering wheel under your chin you may have problems getting it to fit properly. When they're old enough to sit in front facing seats, be prepared to have your seat contantly being kicked while driving!!

I would suggest something like a RX8 if you're dead set on a coupe, but I would recommend a Zafira GSI if you're after a performance baby chariot or a larger saloon, though it can a killer on your back trying to get a child in anything lower slung than a typical MPV. Hence why I still have "my" car and have a MPV for the kids. No point in getting anything too flash/expensive, the kids aren't gonna notice, but you'll definitely notice the scuff marks, foot prints, food bits, drink stains, child seat indentations, scratched door and boot sills, sick smells and anything the child brings in/stepped on into the car.
Old 01 May 2007, 05:55 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

How about a forrester sti?

Banny
Old 01 May 2007, 06:25 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I agree with jonc. I've been down that route myself.
If its going to be an only car then don't even consider two doors. If it is a second car you'll find you'll only drive it when on your own so you might aswell keep the Cayman - it'll be more fun than a "compromise" coupe.

For that money I would go for a Spec B Legacy.
Old 01 May 2007, 06:34 PM
scoobyfrankie
Scooby Regular

You will probably find a nearly new volvo V70R everything you will ever want from a car (300bhp) I drive a 310bhp V70 T5 when i dont use my scoob, kids, dogs, leather, cruise 4wd and 160+mph what more do you want?
Old 01 May 2007, 06:43 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

RS4 Avant
M5 Touring

DAn
Old 01 May 2007, 07:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Possible additions'

Dont worry about it until it happens, keep the Cayman until you actually have the 'addition' as you will miss it when its gone.
Old 01 May 2007, 08:34 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Trust me, you need 4 doors if you're gonna have one or more kids and one with plenty of leg room in the rear. Its no fun trying to get a rear facing seat into the back of a coupe, especially if you go for one of those that are part of a travel system as they're even bigger and heavier. Maybe ok for you, but unless your wife is a shot putter, her back will be fooked getting a bulk seat + child into the back, especially as the kid gets bigger.
100% agree.
Old 01 May 2007, 08:37 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

The other option is keep your Porsche and buy a 2 year old diesel zafira with a/c that you leave at the bottom of the road?!?!
Old 02 May 2007, 09:37 AM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys - Keeping the Cayman is not an option. Although we don't have any additions yet I need to save the money to be able to afford them so it has to go.

Not having any kids yet I did wonder if I was clutching at straws with a coupe.....I think 4 doors may have to be the way to go. Also good comments about the car getting trashed - I hadn't thought of that!!

I really don't want an MPV but a larger car I can deal with - legacy spec B is an interesting option - might look at that!

p.s. it won't be the only car - missus has a 3 series with 4 doors but it will be me doing quite a bit of the running around

Cheers guys.........food for thought
Old 02 May 2007, 10:53 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

I second the Forester STi .. take a drive you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02 May 2007, 11:21 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PPPMAT
Not having any kids yet I did wonder if I was clutching at straws with a coupe.....I think 4 doors may have to be the way to go. Also good comments about the car getting trashed - I hadn't thought of that!!
You will absolutely need 4 doors if you have any little ones. We recently sold our 320CD Sport Coupe when our son was due to arrive as there was no chance of getting him in the back sat in the seat, its even difficult now we have a good size 5 door car.

If you're serious about having kids then you need to look at something not only with 5 doors, but also with a big boot, easy to access rear doors and plenty of toys and safety features.

We have a travel system which takes up so much room its unreal.

In that case I would be looking at Audi A4 Estate etc, maybe even RS4 estate if they do one (sure they do)?
Old 02 May 2007, 12:56 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Stick with the Porsche & get a Cayenne
Old 02 May 2007, 01:32 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Just before we had our kids, I was dead against MPVs. My thinking was they're unnecessary, my parents coped with a saloon when I was a kid and the whole MPV thing is just a marketing gimick. How wrong I was. As my kids grew, I went through a saloon, then an estate and now a MPV. That was the expensive way. Wish I'd just went out and got an MPV in the first place. It would have given me more funds to buy a decent car for myself! The MPV is just so much more convenient, child seats fit better (not more craning my back to get the seats in.) and the wife loves it and so do the kids as now they get a better view out of the windows too. The family car is a workhorse and is treated as such, which leaves me to enjoy to "my" car.

If you currenty can afford a Caymen S, then I can't see why you can't chop in the Caymen for cheap MPV for the family and, say, a Lotus Elise for yourself. You should still have spare cash left from the sale of the Caymen.
Old 02 May 2007, 02:06 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

05 Reg 535D...job done
Old 02 May 2007, 02:31 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Jonc - your idea would be perfect - I love the elise and have had 2 of them. Unfortunately our house has 1 off street space and no garage and limited street parking so its a no go.....

dream weaver - a big 5 door seems to be the right choice - I'll look more closely at that legacy I think

MPV wise - I know its probably the right thing but I just can't go there just yet, especially as I am pre-empting the situation...

Matt
Old 02 May 2007, 02:56 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Matt

I've got a seven year old and I don't agree with Jonc - you don't need an MPV, maybe with more than one child yes, but you've not even got that yet

All the comments about 4 doors are right. We started off with a Saxo which was 'OK' then moved to a Focus which was better. Have had a Scoob for the last 6 years - it's a perfect family car. 4 doors - big boot etc. Sp your 3 series would fit the bill as a family car. If you want another then there are some very valid suggestions above, to which I'd add the Focus ST, but the boot may be a touch on the small side.

Kids + cars = Different perspective on what is a good car that's for sure
Old 02 May 2007, 04:09 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I've still got my Classic Impreza but it is rarely used for the kids because it is too small. There is bugger all rear legroom and most rear facing seats won't fit unless you put them behind the passenger seat and move it so far forward that it is uncomfortable for all but the shortest of adults.
We have two kids (1 and 4) and the boot isn't nearly big enough. Maybe once the kids are out of cots and buggys etc it might just do (I hope so as that is why we still have it!) but you would be lucky to get holiday luggage for four into a 4 door Impreza let alone buggy/cot/toys etc.. etc....
This time last year we looked at estates and small MPVs. The best for us were the Legacy and the Mazda 5 respectively. We went for the 5 becuase it was half the price and for 95% of the time is more useful than the Legacy. The only downside is that (as with most MPVs) it is noisy and more tiring on a long run. It's not that bad but we had just traded a Saab 9-5 in for it.

There's no point buying an MPV if you haven't got kids yet but as soon as you have more than one they really do start to make sense........and sliding doors are wonderful things!!
Old 02 May 2007, 04:12 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

We tried all manner of 5 door cars, but the Civic 2.2 i-CTDi won in the end - loads of room for the nipper and all the trimmings
Old 02 May 2007, 04:17 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

We are looking at a nice V70.

I always think with MPV's it is more seat orientated with no real luggage space.

Whatever you get,think sturdy.Kids make a mess.Don't let them mess up a lovely new car!
Old 02 May 2007, 05:17 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Leon Cupra - Good price, good build quality, good drive, good space, good safety, good tuning capabilities, good at exclusivity.

What more could you want.
Old 02 May 2007, 05:40 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Well when you do decide to have kids, I recommend taking out multiple birth insurance. First time round, we got all the forms, filled it out, but decided not to send it. Well what are the chances of having a multiple birth? its around something like 1 in 33 chance of having twins, if it runs in the family its something like 1-17. Theres is a 1-285 chance of identical twins.

Neither myself or my wife have a history of multiple births. However, my wife and I had identical twins! Wished we'd sent that form off! Next time round we filled in the form and sent it off. We had a singleton birth! Whatever you decide, I'd wait at least until your other half has had her first scan and enjoy your car until then. You never know, you may have quads!!
Old 02 May 2007, 06:20 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Some friends had twins 18 months ago and they had to get rid of the Porsche. Just before Xmas they discovered that they were expecting again and found that it is going to be twins again......
The mini-bus is on order!!!
Old 02 May 2007, 06:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

top condition classic impreza, then have an sc450 fitted
Old 03 May 2007, 01:45 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Hi guys - I've discovered the Alpina D3 tourer which looks like an option, looks great, fairly rare and decent poke...

Other than that a used 330d looks favourite at the moment.

jonc - thanks for the tip - twins runs in the family!!

Quick Reply: What to buy for the 'family' man