Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

SAAB Aero 2.8 V6 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2007, 05:36 PM
kevy1975
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAAB Aero 2.8 V6 Turbo

Just sold my subaru impreza WRX and am looking into buying an alternative motor. Has anyone had a test drive of the 9-3 2.8 turbo ? Looking for some feedback before I travel accross the country to have a look at one.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 06 April 2007, 12:26 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I sold my MY01 WRX with just shy of 300 BHP and replaced it with a brand new 2.0 Aero and was glad i did. They are a nice quick car with all the toys you will ever need.

I have driven several 2.8 versions on road and track and they are very good cars in all conditions.

In real world driving i would say my 2.0 Aero (with minor mods) is quicker and also doesnt suffer 15 MPG which the 2.8 version comes with and thats only with a slightly heavy foot.

The torque of the 2.8 is nice but i would suggest a test drive of the 2.0 Aero at the same time for you to judge as you can certainly feel the additional engine weight in the 2.8

The problem i now have is my Aero (2004) model has the bigger brakes and 6 speed box which where all standard on the 2.0 then, but you can only get the bigger brakes on the 2.8 now and they do make a difference.

Hirsch do a warranty supported ECU upgrade for £700 which takes the 2.8 to 300 BHP and it does fly with the upgarde and also improves the MPG.
A test driver took me on some HOT laps round Oulton park in a Hirsch 2.8 and it was very very impressive. His own track toy is an Elise but he even admitted he was amazed how an 'OLD MANS' SAAB suprised him with its overall abilities. So much so he ordered one as his daily driver.

Last edited by ZIPPY; 06 April 2007 at 12:29 PM. Reason: New text
Old 06 April 2007, 10:34 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Always been intrigued by the 9-3 and never understood the depreciation they have, is there something inherently bad about them or is it just the old man image thing?

From Zippy's words it would seem to be a good car. Any more thoughts...?
Old 07 April 2007, 09:14 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2001 9-3, I paid 4 grand for it when it was just under four years old so some serious depreciation, an equivalent Audi, Merc or BMW would have been nearer ten, however the Audi's Mercs and BMW arent based on a 1980's Cavalier, they are cheap for a reason. The market doesnt really understand them second hand, new they are bought by Proffesional people (or at least they used to be) but second hand its a different matter.

They have their good points, generally well built, good engines and they look a bit different but I think they are perceived as being a bit oddball by the public and they are put off by the potential cost of fixing one so go for a Vectra instead, even though the new 9-3 is just a reskinned Vectra.

I bought mine as a stopgap and still have it two years later, I hope to change it soon but I am going to have to be careful about what I get as I think I will miss the way it delivers its power, minimal lag, loads of torque and a lovely elastic characteristic, plus its pretty quick for a grandad wagon. I suspect something like a Civic type R would drive me mad after a week.

I think that it may be hard to sell, even though its in good nick, whats it worth now, I look on Autotrader and they are still three plus but do they sell ?