Importing an Evo 5

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2007, 05:38 PM
BigChris84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing an Evo 5

Hi all,

With the outset of selling my scoob, to get some cash in the bank i am thinking about getting an evo 5.

I have been looking around and found these people Direct Japan Imports - Quality Cars who charge £6500 for an evo 5 with approx 50k on the clock - but this excludes registration and sva. Any one heard, or used this company?

My main question is, what is the general cost of getting a car sva'd and registered? and is it worth the hassle, or would i be better off getting one for slightly more money say from the MLR club?

Any information would be great.
Old 07 March 2007, 05:48 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Is that £6500 landed in the UK? Make sure it's not just the 'on the boat' price in japan. If it's not then you need to add import duty, VAT then sva, then registration.

Personally I'd buy one allready here, it's a buyers market. Keep your eyes on the MLR and a bargain usually comes up.

You're more likely to find a nice one that's had a few mods and had problems ironed out.

Also with SVA test, the car needs to be completely standard. If it isn't then the price of getting it through will obviously go up as the sva company will need to swap to std bits (which they should be able to do)
Old 07 March 2007, 08:07 PM
BigChris84
Scooby Regular

james, all that is needed in sva, and registration - that price includes shipping, import duty etc etc.

is it expensive to have it sva'd and registered, assuming the car is ok?
Old 07 March 2007, 08:23 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

you would need a model report and an Esva test !! for your car to pass this test it will have to be 100% standard and it isnt cheap to get your car thru this test at £6500 i dont think its worth it as you can pick an evo5 up for £8k or less and i think your car will go over that with other fees and esva test
Old 07 March 2007, 08:32 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigChris84
james, all that is needed in sva, and registration - that price includes shipping, import duty etc etc.

is it expensive to have it sva'd and registered, assuming the car is ok?

An SVA will set you back a fair bit. First you need a model report, this will have been made up by someone in the UK already at quite a large cost (about £1500) detailing features and emmisions ect of the car in question. The model report must be of the exact same spec car that you have (an aftermarket air filter will fail, as will aftermarket exhaust, ECU, bodykit - absolutely anything you can think of thats not standard but could affect safety/emmisions).

Model report will cost about £200 to rent. Then you need to prep the car, speedo to miles per hour, fog light, fuel retrictor under the fuel cap and making sure you have no sharp edges or loose wires around the car. That should cost about £200-250 if you go to the right place.
Then you have to pay for the SVA, from memory about £260 or £280. First time it will fail, out of 5 cars I have prepped only 1 passed first time - it will be for silly things that you dont think of, like he'll find a wire you have missed and not clipped back or claim your radio is loose and it presents a safety hazzard (that actaully happened to me on both counts for separate cars). So factor in a retest for £80. Its a good idea to take tools and bits and bobs to the centre such as headlight adjusters, wire clips, and a few screwdrivers and spanners as well as some masking tape so you can do on the spot fixes.

So minimum cost is £200 + £200 + £280 + £80 = £760. Expect it to be nearer to £1000-£1500 if you go to a cowboy outfit or ask someone to do it all for you.

Thats assuming your car is standard, if not you will have to change out all aftermarket bits and revert it to standard spec for the test at unknown cost.

Heres the only person I trust not to rip me off when it comes to SVA's:
Eurospec 2000 : Japanese Performance Car Tuning, Servicing & Repairing

mark there is an absolute gem of a mechanic, they also run the UK's fastest GTO.
Old 07 March 2007, 08:36 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just checked the directgov website and it seems like the test prices have dropped lately, ESVA with model report is now £180.
Old 07 March 2007, 09:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

here is some info about the esva on the evo5, as for the model report it is £200 + vat and that does not include the Esva test which is around £200

i pulled the price of the model report from their own website and considering you will be renting it from them there is no way the test will be thrown in as well

http://www.modelreports.com/acatalog/002-00118.pdf

Trending Topics

Old 07 March 2007, 10:06 PM
BigChris84
Scooby Regular

guys, superb info. Thank you very much.

In which case, i think it is better to buy one already on the road as it were, for the sake of £6500... not knowing what you are truely getting ("try before you buy") and then with the risk of X amount to get the car UK worthy, in my eyes the hassle alone would be enough...

... ill keep my eyes open on the MLR should something come up, and my impreza sells
Old 09 March 2007, 04:18 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Test drive a 5 - they feel quick and are quick. But one of the hardest cars I have owned to date in terms of livabilty. The suspension really don't lend itself to UK roads, its a very harsh ride and bangy and crashy. Much prefer scoobs over the 5.

The 7 I had was much better, and even in 400bhp it didn't push my buttons. Think and try before you buy. You won't be able to do this if you import.