Old 07 March 2007, 10:45 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skylines - Quick or not?

*right room this time*
Just seen this....
900BHP Skyline

... and wondered what people thought of skylines. How are they so easily modified to high amounts of BHP?.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:02 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Single turbo conversion is common, should give 500bhp with no problem.

Over this you will need to think about what you want to do with the car - its not going to make a good road car over 500bhp TBH. Most people with mega power are into their drag racing and thats all they use the car for. For me I would strip it down, roll cage, get plenty of carbon bits on it and look at running 400 - 450bhp. Then do the odd track day and have some fun on the weekends.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:19 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

They're quite heavy aren't they?. Nice colour that one though i don't think i've ever seen one that colour.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:22 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Isn't that the ebay one that was on here the other day, saying buy it now for £6k? Someone said that would be the deposit needed then plus finance.
Old 07 March 2007, 11:38 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

lol not sure its up for £41k
Old 07 March 2007, 11:46 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Easily modified in that they have a good capacity, monster strong internals and good turbo's, transmission etc.

To extract the first hundred or so bhp is childs play, after that, like anything, it gets quite expensive.

Do a search, there are hundreds of Skyline posts so this one is just going to be a repeat of all of them.

MB
Old 07 March 2007, 12:09 PM
BUG4LIFE
Scooby Regular

R34 GTRs are so sweet. That colour is called bayside blue [so so nice]. Another incredible colour is midnight purple - I've never seen one in the flesh, but the pics of that colour make me gasp

If it's up on ebay for £6k, it's a scam, just some ****s using other peoples pics/cars and trying to catch people out! The real price would be £40k up.

I've been reading up on Skylines for a bit now, and from what I've read; these cars will make 500bhp all day long. The engines where developed for big power, and to be used as a daily ride to.

Checkout Please wait, sending you to new site for all things Skyline, and Zele-International for the best used Skylines in the world - just wish I had the cash
Old 07 March 2007, 12:51 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

You need a big garage to put them in !
Old 07 March 2007, 01:00 PM
tricksterfiregod
Scooby Newbie

wikipedia quote
"It is widely known for its strength and extreme power potential. It is not uncommon for 600 hp to be achieved on the standard bottom end. With regular maintenance, many of these engines have been driven way past the 100,000 mile mark with a few heading toward 200,000 miles. [2]

With extreme modification, the RB26 motor is capable of power in excess of 1 megawatt (or over 1,340 hp). "
nice...
Old 07 March 2007, 01:37 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

My brother has a 94 Gts-t. 2.5 Single turbo and 250bhp as standard. It is quite heavy but wasn't that slow as standard. He then upgraded the spark plugs, had the turbo rebuilt and strengthened, Power FC, 550cc injectors, de-cat, AVCR, giant great air filter. He runs 1.15 bar boost and achieved 396.4bhp @ Engine advantages. Needless to say the thing is now mental and its RWD too so less transmission losses. The best bit is that from the outside it is completely standard!

Steve
Old 07 March 2007, 01:38 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Looks a nice example, but like any car - especially a less common or tuned one - viewing & expert advice is esential...

£41k seems excessive - the are other equally well presented cars available for less. Check out gtroc.co.uk for good advice.....

Old 07 March 2007, 02:40 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Skylines are awesome but are not cheap to tune and cost stupid amounts if you have a major failure.

I doubt the car in question is running 600bhp, I think GT-SS turbo are only good for 500-550 max.
Old 07 March 2007, 03:21 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94impreza
*right room this time*
Just seen this....
900BHP Skyline

... and wondered what people thought of skylines. How are they so easily modified to high amounts of BHP?.
Basically, with lots and lots and lots of money! Yes, you can tune them to 1000bhp, but not for less than £50K.
10K would give around 600bhp, but after that you're talking silly money.

Give these guys a call if you think i'm joking!

Abbey Motorsport

Last edited by Gear Head; 07 March 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07 March 2007, 03:39 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was just about to post Abbey Motor Sport
But you beat me to it.
In actual fact the R32 was the most successful on the track. the R33 and 34 never had the same success.
The R33 is the the one to have for many enthusiasts
I went in a friends R34 GTR and it was bloody quick
Old 07 March 2007, 08:47 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Is there anyway of shaking off that excess weight though? Damn fine looking cars with obviously massive potential, just the weight side scares me a bit.

Here's another similar one....
Here
Old 07 March 2007, 11:31 PM
Mark2wrx
Scooby Regular

Think this will answer the thread title..these cars dont hang around
Video - JUST A VIDEO OF SOME BAD SKYLINES..
Old 08 March 2007, 12:09 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

You keep going on about weight but its only the same as a lot of modern stuff.

Lets put it this way, a 350Z weighs around the same or a smidge more than an R33 GTR. I used to spank, and I mean spank as in hand his a$$ to him on a plate, my mates Zed in my GTR, with only stage 1 tune (car and tune still came in at 10k less than his Zed) Add the same amount of mods to the Zed cost wise as it takes to get a GTR to stage 1 and you'l still totally kick its a$$

However, engine for engine the Supra 3.0TT goes further bhp wise more reliably than a RB26 on the stock unit. Stock as in entire engine and internals.
Old 08 March 2007, 12:13 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

I take it the Supra has stronger engine internals then?
Old 08 March 2007, 12:14 AM
zaxs1973
Scooby Regular

Spot on link they are the Dogs Danglers (Total Dream machine)
Old 08 March 2007, 09:44 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

when i was travelling around Oz i was reading some good car mags out there none of the sh**e you get here.basically their full of informative information and this magazine i picked up was called hot4s&performance cars.
they had a write up called how to build a 12 sec skyline for under 2000 aussie dollars!!for the 32/33 basically the 1st thing you can do is for free is remove a plastic/rubber bung from one of the vacume hoses it might be to the wastegate i cant quite remember but gives a 30 bhp increase and is safe to run on stock ecu!!!!
then it mentioned the early skylines had ceramic compressor wheels in the turbo which dont take kindly to increased boost as they can disentegrate and take out the turbo and damage the engine so if your going to modify further replace turbo whith steel compressor wheels as fitted to later skylines.also replace the exhaust with a free flow jobby.
it reccomended before tuning to do a compression check on all 6 cylinders and i think it said watch cylinder 6 is not lower than the rest as this is the one to watch for.
what else.......it said alot of jap tuners fit as many gadgets to their cars as they can which make them run worse than standard for example one importer in Oz got a skyline but wasnt as fast as it should be but came with different cams and vernier wheels and a "mines" ecu and some sort of ecu overriding device for altering fuel and timing.
basically he removed all the shi** and put the cams back to 0 as they were far too far advanced. removed the fuel controller and the car ran much better.

it said you dont need to bother with an aftermarket inlet manifold cos even the fastest ones in Oz run standard ones.
it was a bloody good read not like the mags you get here which tell you nowt but list where to take them to.

theres alot of asians like chinese and japanese and vietnamese driving around in skylines imprezas 200sx and and some aussies driving around in suzuki swift gti yeah the old rusty white ones.
plus the holden pickups with the whopping v8's like these ones
Holden - The new Thunder Ute & Crewman
and this
Holden - Commercial: Ute with a whopping 6 litre v8 and 350 bhp
Oz is the closest western country to japan so they get all the best jap vehicles
anyhoo it took you step by step on how to get the power from the skyline shame i dont have the magazine.

Last edited by delcbr; 08 March 2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08 March 2007, 09:50 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

With extreme modification, the RB26 motor is capable of power in excess of 1 megawatt (or over 1,340 hp). "
Sort of puts Dr. Brown's 1.21 Gigawatt dilema in perspective
Old 08 March 2007, 10:15 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

6 litre v8 and 350 bhp
Dreadful power figures for a 6 litre !
Old 08 March 2007, 10:56 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94impreza
I take it the Supra has stronger engine internals then?
From my experience of having owned both yes IMHO. A Supra engine would run 600bhp all day long on a stock engine assuming the other parts have been done right. The Skyline would be more than likely to go pop and require either stronger internals/gaskets etc...

Skyline rebuild cost is around 6.5k and thats it done on the cheap
Old 08 March 2007, 12:22 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Ive owned an R33 gtr for nearly 5 yrs now, yes they are quick, yes they handle well, but they are not as bullet proof as alot of people seem to make out.
In fact, for a complete car, i would rather still have my e30 m3.

Last edited by Shaolin; 08 March 2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08 March 2007, 12:37 PM
Quatto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonloops
Dreadful power figures for a 6 litre !
Don't knock them 'til your tried them (preferably in a Cobra). You seem to be unware that with most of these large capacity n/a engines the torque is available from 1000rpm, without having an ashmatic engine awaiting a large turbo to spin up at 3000rpm before it even thinks of making any decent progress or power figures LOL. That is the age old n/a vs turbo/Vetec BHP misconceptions.

Remember, some large capcity engine "only" producing 350 or so bhp can also deliver 550+lb/ft of torque over most of its rev range and seeing that they can't rev much past 6000rpm the calculation to work out BHP doesn't go very much in their favour when compared to an engine capeable of 7500rpm but very little off-boost torque ( (rpm x torque) divided by 5250 ). The misfortunes of Big-blocks and Maths LOL.

As for Skylines, any engine using good old fashioned over-enginered components can achive such credence (including Supras). It's one reason why for many years many high performance engines still used "heavy" cast iron blocks (BMW, Cosworth to name drop a couple). Whilst the newer counterparts using lighter alloy (Alloy block, titanium rods etc) and more tighter toleranced components achieve more power out the box, but they are not so capeable of being modified as heavily as its predacessors (that includes US V8s too as most are all alloy now such as the LS7).

Last edited by Quatto; 08 March 2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08 March 2007, 04:58 PM
slickrick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
No way i had my rb26 rebuilt with forged rods and pistons, bronze valve guides,new bearings and shells,a brand new crank and tommie metal gaskets for half that.

And it runs an easy 650bhp at 1.5 bar (thanks to the twin garrett gt28/60's )

Old 08 March 2007, 05:00 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Quatto
Don't knock them 'til your tried them (preferably in a Cobra). You seem to be unware that with most of these large capacity n/a engines the torque is available from 1000rpm, without having an ashmatic engine awaiting a large turbo to spin up at 3000rpm before it even thinks of making any decent progress or power figures LOL. That is the age old n/a vs turbo/Vetec BHP misconceptions.

Remember, some large capcity engine "only" producing 350 or so bhp can also deliver 550+lb/ft of torque over most of its rev range and seeing that they can't rev much past 6000rpm the calculation to work out BHP doesn't go very much in their favour when compared to an engine capeable of 7500rpm but very little off-boost torque ( (rpm x torque) divided by 5250 ). The misfortunes of Big-blocks and Maths LOL.

As for Skylines, any engine using good old fashioned over-enginered components can achive such credence (including Supras). It's one reason why for many years many high performance engines still used "heavy" cast iron blocks (BMW, Cosworth to name drop a couple). Whilst the newer counterparts using lighter alloy (Alloy block, titanium rods etc) and more tighter toleranced components achieve more power out the box, but they are not so capeable of being modified as heavily as its predacessors (that includes US V8s too as most are all alloy now such as the LS7).

I had a Rover V8 3.9 @ about 310 BHP, I love V8's they just don't seem to deliver the power these days that you would expect !
Old 08 March 2007, 08:24 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slickrick
No way i had my rb26 rebuilt with forged rods and pistons, bronze valve guides,new bearings and shells,a brand new crank and tommie metal gaskets for half that.
Things must have got cheaper then as thats what it was when I had mine, few years ago now.............
Old 08 March 2007, 09:57 PM
Quatto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonloops
I had a Rover V8 3.9 @ about 310 BHP, I love V8's they just don't seem to deliver the power these days that you would expect !
That's good going for such a pathetic engine though, anyone who gets one above 280bhp without overboring and re-sleaving or having a Griffith 500 is doing well. The old Buicks were over square engines (oversquare = less low down torque) which had quite a weak alloy block and weak internal components, very bad build/machining tolerances (thus not being able to rev) with very restrictive heads and little in the way of decent aftermarket options (nail in the coffin), Granted, TVR addressed a hell of alot of the former problems, yet they were still problamatic. Although they were very light considering the era it came from, they were never capeable of achiveing the same power gains when compared to what you could get with the same money and a well sorted small block, simply due to the huge amount of stuff that can be bought straight off the shelf. However, even if one did get a Rover V8 producing good power, due to its inherant design flaws (assuming a pre x-bolt block) it wouldn't be as good or as reliable. Because the small blocks are a strong engine to start with (but highly restricted) they can be uprated for very little money indeed when compared to a Rover V8 (using US source components and our favourable exchange rate - course). Ok, what I'm trying to get across in all the above is that you can't even think of considering a Rover V8 as a basis for comparision or justification of a point; It's the dog of V8s (pun intended), even if it is an icon.

Moving on, the costs of building Skyline engines mentioned in the above posts is an interesting point, rebuild/uprate a skyline block and its ££££, however, do the same with a GM/Holden block and it'll cost less, even though they are more or less the same; just the sources are different. Go figure LOL.
Old 08 March 2007, 10:29 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa

FPMSL

Quick Reply: Skylines - Quick or not?