Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Integra Type R (DC5) - Know anything?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2007, 12:52 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Integra Type R (DC5) - Know anything?

Hi all,

Currently doing some research into what car i'm going to replace the scoob with.

So far done quite a bit of research into the intergra type R (DC2) & the S2000, but i've just come across the new shape Type R.

I'd be looking to spend in the region of £10k on a car. (old S2000/immaculate DC2 with change)

The reason i've come to these choices is basically down to the good reviews i've heard of the DC2 & the S2000, fancy a 2seater, something thats quickish, nice/fun to drive, doesnt lose silly money & something not too popular, etc etc.

Only thing is that i really like the look of the DC5, but know nothing about them.

Could anyone help?
Old 06 March 2007, 12:58 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Basically, a more refined and grown of version of the dc2. 2 litre 220bhp engine, plus you get the 6 speed box which helps. They never imported any into the uk, so they will all be imports. I really like them.
Old 06 March 2007, 01:40 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

yeah in my opinion they look awesome, plus i've only ever really seen 2 in real life, so you get the "whats that?!" factor as well.

what else do you know about them? easy for parts, insurance, running costs etc etc

basically tryin to learn as much as possible so can make an educated purchase if guna get one.
Old 06 March 2007, 02:21 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

type-r-owners.co.uk
Old 06 March 2007, 02:33 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Honda Integra Type R :: Index
Old 06 March 2007, 02:42 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Loads of them here, very nice car, not as much fun as the dc2 i found but still very nice to drove, bigger, more room, more comfort, didnt feel as fast as the dc2 but it probably was
Old 06 March 2007, 03:31 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

As fast as a standard Scoob (Classic) if not faster due to no transmission loss - meant to be ultra sharp around a track, superb handling.

Seen a few now - look the dogs danglies
Old 06 March 2007, 03:34 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

standard UK classic
Old 07 March 2007, 08:52 AM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

cheers for the links lads, will have a look at them later.

Does anyone know what they are like to own??? MPG,Insurance,running costs,availability of parts etc
Old 07 March 2007, 09:19 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

You wont get any form of decent S2000 for less than 11k imo. Most of that range will be ropey. I think £13k will get you a decent one, having owned one for 18 months.

I too am interested in an ITR as I fancy getting into track days. Had a DC2 and found it too much for a daily driver, but the DC5 seems to have it all, but a touch less raw than the DC2.

You can SC it for under £3k too.

Id much rather drive an S2000 or ITR on a track than my Evo - dont think it would be that exciting.

MB
Old 07 March 2007, 11:03 AM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

ok thats a fair point about the S2000, might have to knock that idea on the head until they come down in price a bit.

I really like the DC2 & i think going from my oil burner now to any car would be an improvement, so not really worried about its "raw'ness".

however although the DC5 quite a bit more, it looks in my opinion a hell of a lot better (rear end especially) & as you mentioned from what i know at this stage is just as fun, plus you get the exclusivity.

Sorry what do you mean by "You can SC it for under £3k too."?
(probably a stupid question, but just not sure what you meant?)
Old 07 March 2007, 11:06 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^

SC - Supercharge
Old 07 March 2007, 11:12 AM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

OH !!! now i'm with you

SC = fun fun fun fun, bang, expensive ;-(

no only messing, just think i'll wait til i get bored of the standard one 1st.

(if i get one that is)

the more i think about the "what the hell is that" factor the more i want one now !!!

Plus god its a good looking thing
Old 07 March 2007, 11:47 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

It wont go bang - these engines are strong!

Lookup CPL and Jackson Racing.

MB
Old 09 March 2007, 03:08 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
^^^^^^^

SC - Supercharge
Same engine as the CTR (i-vtec) only with a bit more poke seeing as its a jap version.

(edited post after some research) DC5 engine has similarites to the EP3 CTR's but the compression ratio is diffrent making it an unsutable candidate for a supercharger. It can still be done but requires a completly different kit to the EP3.

I'm just looking for a decient CTR to supercharge... CTR. Off to get one next weekend all being well.

I'd have bought a dc5 had i enough cash to supercharge it.... unfortunitly all i could afford was the car. So a cheaper CTR + supercharger = my budget. 240bhp at the wheels!!.... better get saving for an LSD as i think i'll need it. beJesus they are fast!!

Do a little search on here and you should find a video of one at knockhill. Someone in an evo 4 or 5 had a camera in the car recording his track action. Very good driver to by the looks of things... he came up against a S/c CTR. He was all over him on the corners but couldn't get past as in a straight line the CTR is away like the wind.

Will

Last edited by rob2006; 09 March 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Incorrect info given on post
Old 09 March 2007, 09:13 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

SC ruins the character of these cars, they were not designed ot be SC'd and I have heard some stories of too much boost and these going bang. Stick to N/A tuning and you will be fine.
Old 09 March 2007, 09:16 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

You wont get any form of decent S2000 for less than 11k imo
You most certainly will
Old 09 March 2007, 10:18 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Cyber, thats not really true. I S/C'd my S2000 and loads of people do it with no issue - the engines are very very strong.

In fact there are few engines better suited to SC than a VTEC engine - it keeps the linear character to a tee - just shifts the power skywards.

I would highly recommend it.

MB
Old 09 March 2007, 11:13 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Cyber, thats not really true. I S/C'd my S2000 and loads of people do it with no issue - the engines are very very strong.

In fact there are few engines better suited to SC than a VTEC engine - it keeps the linear character to a tee - just shifts the power skywards.

I would highly recommend it.

MB
I completly agree.. i have not heard 1 horror story about a vtec engine going pop and i've been researching these for the best part of 2 mths now.

Everyone i have spoken to says its the ultimate mod for their CTR and just couldnt go back to a NA one, totaly suits the car.

I wish honda would produce the Mugen concept the "Dominator"...... which is a 4 door civic thats been supercharged?

I cant wait till mine converted..... its something special rather than the usual tuning road.

Will
Old 09 March 2007, 11:20 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

I have been a passenger in a DC5, the car generated a mind boggling amount of grip for a FWD car.

A Special car for the money
Old 11 March 2007, 07:33 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

I really don't see why you need a SC, I am running 260BHP and that through some very carefully choosen N/A Mods. I know of one guy who's engine went pop when adding an SC, I don't think it was a one off, but I also know a number of Civics running SC's but what is the impact of wear on the engine?
Old 11 March 2007, 07:49 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Because its easy safe and cheap power. I envy anyone going for a big bhp NA build on a VTEC, but its costs a fortune.

You try getting 100 bhp out of an S2000 for £4k! Or even another 30 for that matter.

Engines go pop. 5-7 psi of boost isnt a lot on a K20 or F20C, and if fuelled right they will be fine. Yes its putting more stress on it, but I know a number of people with big miles on S/C VTECs. I know of one guy in the US with a 350 bhp Vortech S2000 (baseline power for a Vortech SC) and he's clocked about 60k miles on his.

Do a bit of research on it, you might turn!

MB

Last edited by Dark Blue Mark; 12 March 2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11 March 2007, 07:52 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Would LOVE a DC5.

The thread needs pics.
Old 11 March 2007, 08:00 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Would LOVE a DC5.

The thread needs pics.
just what iwas thinking,don't think i've ever seen one(well probabaly have just didn't realize what it was),so please educate this fool
Old 11 March 2007, 08:03 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Old 11 March 2007, 08:21 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

I know of one guy in the US with a 4350 bhp Vortech S2000 (baseline power for a Vortech SC) and he's clocked about 60k miles on his.

Old 11 March 2007, 08:50 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Because its easy safe and cheap power. I envy anyone going for a big bhp NA build on a VTEC, but its costs a fortune.

You try getting 100 bhp out of an S2000 for £4k! Or even another 30 for that matter.

Engines go pop. 5-7 psi of boost isnt a lot on a K20 or F20C, and if fuelled right they will be fine. Yes its putting more stress on it, but I know a number of people with big miles on S/C VTECs. I know of one guy in the US with a 4350 bhp Vortech S2000 (baseline power for a Vortech SC) and he's clocked about 60k miles on his.

Do a bit of research on it, you might turn!

MB
N/A all the way for me, and it did cost me a bit more than £4k but I just wanted to keep the character of the engine, plus that 9.5k rev limit
Old 11 March 2007, 11:26 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
anymore pics anyone??
Old 12 March 2007, 07:16 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob2006
Same engine as the CTR (i-vtec) only with a bit more poke seeing as its a jap version.

(edited post after some research) DC5 engine has similarites to the EP3 CTR's but the compression ratio is diffrent making it an unsutable candidate for a supercharger. It can still be done but requires a completly different kit to the EP3.

I'm just looking for a decient CTR to supercharge... CTR. Off to get one next weekend all being well.

I'd have bought a dc5 had i enough cash to supercharge it.... unfortunitly all i could afford was the car. So a cheaper CTR + supercharger = my budget. 240bhp at the wheels!!.... better get saving for an LSD as i think i'll need it. beJesus they are fast!!

Do a little search on here and you should find a video of one at knockhill. Someone in an evo 4 or 5 had a camera in the car recording his track action. Very good driver to by the looks of things... he came up against a S/c CTR. He was all over him on the corners but couldn't get past as in a straight line the CTR is away like the wind.

Will
Supercharging a JDM motor is fine mate. There is a JDM CTR in the UK somewhere that is running a JRSC.

JDM CTR's and the DC5 (being JDM only) use the K20A engine. UK CTR's use the K20A2 variant.

JDM engine has a 11.5:1 CR as opposed to 11:1 on UK cars, has same lift cams but longer duration over UK and a larger volume inlet manifold.

Most people who SC their DC5's go for the race spec Jackson Racing kit. It uses a slightly larger SC, but other than that difference that is it.
Old 12 March 2007, 09:55 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Cyber, it completely keeps the character and the rev limit!

Superchargers are driven off the crank, so the power is just linear with revs. All you are doing is adding compressed air.

Picture the power curve of the VTEC, then increase the angle of it

More pics of the DC5 -

MB

Quick Reply: New Integra Type R (DC5) - Know anything?