Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

A week with the Integra

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2007, 01:03 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A week with the Integra

I have owned my Integra for a little over a week now, and I absolutely love it!
And coming from 3 years of Impreza's, thats saying something!

Engine:

The main thing that worried me when I was considering the switch, was the apparent lack of torque. My last 3 cars consisted of an Sti 4, an MR2 Turbo and a MY99 UK turbo, all of which had around 250lb/ft of torque. The integra only has around half that with 140lb/ft. But the drop doesn't feel as big as the numbers suggest. If anything, low down, it seems to have more 'pull' than the impreza. This is probably due to the short ratio box mated with the NA engine characteristics. This also allows the throttle response to be almost instantaneous.
So around town and out of 'vtec', the teg feels extremely nippy and very capable.
When you engage the vtec cam lobes at 5800rpm, it becomes a very different beast. From a standing start, if you floor the throttle in 1st, you will get wheel spin, so traffic light grand prix's are not what this car is all about (grew out of that when I hit 20!). From 2nd gear on the teg comes to life with an engine note that can only be described as sexual! The revs increase so quickly, you have to on the ball to change gear at that magical 8500rpm to keep the engine in the vtec zone.
This video illustates just how quick this car goes through the gears.
YouTube - Acura Integra Type R 223km/h

It does however, take a little while to get used to the gearing. Where you would normally have to drop down to second for a corner or roundabout, the teg manages it easily in third (when driving normally that is!). When crusing on the motorway at 70mph, the engine is turning over at a suprisingly high 4000rpm! Then you realise that there is still another 5000rpm to go and the integra starts to makes more sense. Even though there is enough power at that engine speed to make decent progress (takes just 6 seconds to get from 70-90mph in 5th), you would still need to drop down into 4th or even 3rd to get into vtec. But, as with standing starts, top speed is again not what the integra was built for, even if does still do 150mph. It's the bits in between where this car really shines!

Handling:

The race derived double wishbone suspension on the integra does exactly what is its supposed to. There is an incredible amount of feedback through the steering wheel and it is also perfectly weighted. This was one of pet hates with the impreza in that the steering at high speed felt dangerously light. The integra has a very 'meaty' feel to the steering which makes it easy to dial in the correct amount of steering angle when corning hard. There's none of that 'see-saw' action when the car starts to get out of shape.
Speaking of which, I was expecting the integra to understeer due to it being fwd. But, again, I was wrong. It manages to stay neutral even when you chuck it into a corner faster than you thought you should have.
And even then, its the back that feels the most likely to go.

The lsd is also very good. Due to the great british weather doing its best not to dissappoint, it was the perfect conditions to test out the differential.
I entered a large roundabout at a steady 25mph, then opened the throttle. At first, as you would expect, the front started to slide. But then almost immediately, the lsd kicked in a and pulled the front end back on line. Very impressive for a fwd car.
It is also very well damped and composed over the bumpy bits. The ride is a bit on the hard side, but thats price you pay for having such a well sorted chassis I suppose.

The brakes are also an area that contribute to making the teg feel so well sorted. I didn't understand why so many people mocked the standard impreza 4 pots, they worked well enough for me. Now I know! You can brake so late in the integra due there being so much feel through the pedal. Brake dust is abit of an issue, especially with the standard white alloys, but its a price i'm willing to pay for having such strong brakes.

How it makes you feel:

Basically, it makes you feel like you're driving something special. The red recaro's are incredibly supportive, the gear change is light and easy and the driving position is low down with your legs out straight, making you feel like you are indeed driving a race car. And the best bit, I don't feel like a chav anymore! The Impreza is a great car and it is a shame that it has attracted some very negative views as of late. The teg has received nothing but complimants from people of all ages and it makes you feel very proud to own one.

Other bits:

Going from 22mpg upto 30mpg around town doesn't sound like much, but it works out to be around £600 less a year for me! Insurance used to cost me £900 on the scoob, I'm now paying £500. A cambelt change is £160 at Honda, front disks and pads are £60, tyres are £50...... it just goes on and on. I don't feel like I'm paying through the nose for a performance car anymore.
I also get a lot less flack from my darling fiancee (she maybe reading this!), as I can now chuck more funds into the wedding pot every month!

So to sum up:
-It's fast
-Handles better than anything I've driven before
-It's rare (only 1900 UK dc2's were ever built)
-Cheap to run
-Stunning looks
-Harder to drive than the impreza (not by much)
-Very rewarding to drive
-Everybody seems to like it
-Makes you feel like Mr Schumacher!

I will miss the Impreza. They have been such a large part of my life for the last 3 years, I feel as though I've lost a good friend. But the integra feels so fresh and alive, it just begs you to put your foot down!

Heres a few piccys to show my car journey over the past 3 years.

Old 26 February 2007, 01:19 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Do you get much in the way of lift-off oversteer in these, or does it simply tighten it's line?
Old 26 February 2007, 01:22 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

From my experience, less than the Imprezas.

Pretty much line tightening, unless you've induced massive weight transfer.

Very well balanced over the limit.
Old 26 February 2007, 01:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If provoked a bit more, then yes, you would get some lift off oversteer. But it is very controllable. Most of the time though, it just tightens the line and off you go. It's not as though it suddenly breaks away and puts you in a hedge!
It's more of tap on the shoulder saying 'easy mate!'

Last edited by Gear Head; 26 February 2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 26 February 2007, 01:30 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

tripple post?
Old 26 February 2007, 01:34 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Weird that, the first two times I tried, it came up with 'error'. Hopefully the mods will sort it.
On my screen I can see one thread, however, I if I check my post history, it does indeed come up three times. Strange.
Old 26 February 2007, 01:35 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

2 are in General
Old 26 February 2007, 02:21 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

nice choice of car! how much did you pay for it and what year/mileage is it on???
Old 26 February 2007, 02:24 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Its a 98 R with 64K on the clock. Wheels could do with a refurb and the driver's seat bolster is a little worn (common issue with tegs), but apart from that the car immaculate. It also came with full service history and recent clutch change at 59K.
Paid £6500 for her.
Old 26 February 2007, 02:26 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

superb price! i have been looking at these but they all seem around the £8k mark!
Old 26 February 2007, 02:28 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I had to travel 200miles though!
They seem to have gone up in value since the evo magazine review, where it was placed 9th in the top 100 cars ever poll.
Old 26 February 2007, 02:52 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

B9GLY .This chap wants 7k for his interga. v plater and spotless. 7700 gets you the plate and rims thrown in.

Honda : Integra Type-R DC2 C/W

i was gonna go see the car but after the civic i just throught the intera was gonna be more of the same constant changing gears and a bitch on motorway runs..and that was with 6 gears!!

my main dislike about the honda is the fact when you are in 5th gear it feels like in any other car you are riding third gear and need to change up..only you cant in the teg. also whats good for the local track and occasionaly uncongested b road isnt that good for todays main roads and dual carriageways.

boneshaker ride,tyre roar and road noise like the windows are fully open,screaming engine when the car is even at low speeds in a high gear and all the comfort of a nice cell in HMP Shrewsbury. and how on earth you don't feel like a chav Chris when you are driving a white car with white wheels and bright red seats that has to be thrashed within an inch of its life is beyond me!!

Last edited by noobscoob; 26 February 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 26 February 2007, 04:09 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

That integra was broken into this weekend, so is not ready for sale at the moment. Does look like a cracking car though.
Noobscoob, I respect your opinion and I can see where you're coming from. But, the number of times I received a thumbs up from kids in burberry hats and gold chains when I drove the impreza was getting silly.
Not that I really cared and it certainly wasn't a reason for getting rid of the Impreza, I was just commenting on the general perception of both cars.
As for the Integra being hard to live with, I thought the exact same thing.....before I drove one. The engine is completely un-stressed when crusing in 5th on the motorway and it certainly isn't screaming its nuts off!
Unfortunately, you seem to be another one of these people you have formed a very critical opinion of a car they havn't actually driven.

The wind and tyre noise is only slightly higher than that of my old UK turbo and on par with my old sti 4. Also, how can you comment on the comfort levels when you havn't even been in one?

Last edited by Gear Head; 26 February 2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 26 February 2007, 04:46 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by noobscoob

my main dislike about the honda is the fact when you are in 5th gear it feels like in any other car you are riding third gear and need to change up..only you cant in the teg. also whats good for the local track and occasionaly uncongested b road isnt that good for todays main roads and dual carriageways.

boneshaker ride,tyre roar and road noise like the windows are fully open,screaming engine when the car is even at low speeds in a high gear and all the comfort of a nice cell in HMP Shrewsbury.

cough *bollox* cough
Old 26 February 2007, 04:57 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Chris i have been in one. my mate had an integra years ago and i went in that a few times. i just havn't owned one...yet.

i did however own a civic and yes people claim they are nothing alike but the dynamics of the power delivery and its essence of screaming road racer are there to be seen. the civic if anything is even more civalised by comparison being softer set up and running the extra cog. 8 months i had the car and after 5 i was ready to sell. thats a car i had wanted for over 2 yrs!! some days it felt lifeless and more akin to a normal everyday car than something touted to be so ''special''. yes the integra handles better but can you really utilised the full potential of the intrgras chassis on a uk road in 2007? likewise same can be said for a subaru..or any fastroad car.

i dont want to make this into a subaru v honda debate again thats been done to death but the type r range does have its shortcomings and once new car novelty wears off..i recon you will notice them. the teg is in my honest opinion a veritable marmite car if ever there was one.
Old 26 February 2007, 05:03 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
cough *bollox* cough
yeah thats why my mate sold his and got in his words the far better handling and more comfortable mazda mx5(supercharged) !!!!!!! no seriously..you expect people to think a 9 yr old dated car with no soundproofing and rock hard suspension is comfortable and quiet?

i think the truth will seriously hit home with chris when he is passed by a car that he usally dispached in his impreza without a second thought.
Old 26 February 2007, 05:18 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

All this 'my car is faster than yours' bollocks is what put me off impreza ownership in the end. I honestly couldn't car less. Grow up and buy a car because of how it makes you 'feel' as opposed to the one that is the fastest.
How many times on top gear do they end up preferring the slower car rather than the one that can do the quicker lap time.
Also, as I have already said, I have owned Imprezas for 3 years now. I think that is enough time to find out what I value in a car. It ISN'T 0-60 times, it isn't corning g-force, it isn't gut wrenching power (but it is nice i'll admit ).
I can see why people like imprezas, its nice to know that not many other cars can beat you off the lights. But the few times I did use the start line grip of the impreza, I felt like a complete **** afterwards.

If I hadn't been offered the money I got for the scoob, I'd still have it. But it was a good chance to do something I have ALWAYS wanted to.....own an integra.
Old 26 February 2007, 05:35 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

And fair play to you Chris but you may feel a kermit again when you have to really thrape the living bejusus out of your car when rep man or kid in saxo wants a dabble thinking they can beat your type r traffic light grand prixs are great and then you think..oh ****..i just looked like a fool. part and parcel of any fast car..people want to have a go and don't make out that that sort of thing doesnt bother you because you are male..drive a string of fast cars and if it didn't you would be driving a hyundai 1.1 accent

sods law is joe public is led to believe any man in a flash car has a *** like a pickled onion be they driving subaru or honda or pagani zonda.

now thats all sorted..when you ordering a supercharger lol?
Old 26 February 2007, 05:44 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Read the last few pages mate. You are just repeating what another non-believer said last week. No real experience but spoke as if he'd owned one for ages.
https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...-type-r-6.html
As for driving a string of fast cars, yes I do like 'fast' cars. I should do after dabbling in kart/formula ford racing 3 years ago.
That doesn't mean I feel the need to be faster than everyone else on the road. Only a man with a very very very very small winkle would consider that essential.

Last edited by Gear Head; 26 February 2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 26 February 2007, 05:56 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Oh come of it chris youve had yours less than a week and are already doing long term test reports!!

whats to know about them..they are dated..they handle well..they are knocked into a cocked hat by a dc5 that costs 3 grand more looks 300% better and people dont think looks like a 1992 celica!!

sorry but ive tried being civil and easing off but i cant really stand the integra because they may handle well but they are in real world speed by todays standards..slow. and someone who drove a near 300 bhp scooby with mods and a ****ing great big sti wing is now making out power didnt mean nothing lol
amazing what buying an underpowered car makes you ''find '' in other areas of the vehicle.

the way i see it Chris you didnt shut up about your scooby..i mean no less than 3 threads about whether you should sell and 2 or 3 ads on pistonheads pissing people about who may have wanted it..and now its sudenly poo pooed for your new car. bias..me thinks you are.
Old 26 February 2007, 06:01 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I can't even be bothered.
What makes me laugh is how some impreza owners can't believe that another previous owner can actually like another car aswell!

Last edited by Gear Head; 26 February 2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 26 February 2007, 06:07 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Oh come of it chris youve had yours less than a week and are already doing long term test reports!!

whats to know about them..they are dated..they handle well..they are knocked into a cocked hat by a dc5 that costs 3 grand more looks 300% better and people dont think looks like a 1992 celica!!

sorry but ive tried being civil and easing off but i cant really stand the integra because they may handle well but they are in real world speed by todays standards..slow. and someone who drove a near 300 bhp scooby with mods and a ****ing great big sti wing is now making out power didnt mean nothing lol
amazing what buying an underpowered car makes you ''find '' in other areas of the vehicle.

the way i see it Chris you didnt shut up about your scooby..i mean no less than 3 threads about whether you should sell and 2 or 3 ads on pistonheads pissing people about who may have wanted it..and now its sudenly poo pooed for your new car. bias..me thinks you are.

Tell it like it is eh! In fairness though let the bloke enjoy his car. The Teg is indeed a fine car as was displayed in the trouncing of the STI Type R in this months JPC.
Old 26 February 2007, 06:09 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

It may make you laugh even more to know i don't own an impreza.
Old 26 February 2007, 06:10 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Tell it like it is eh! In fairness though let the bloke enjoy his car. The Teg is indeed a fine car as was displayed in the trouncing of the STI Type R in this months JPC.
In the wet too!
Old 26 February 2007, 06:12 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It may make you laugh even more to know i don't own an impreza.
Old 26 February 2007, 06:12 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
In the wet too!
Indeed, and I for one was very surprised at the result.
Old 26 February 2007, 07:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

sorry but ive tried being civil and easing off but i cant really stand the integra because they may handle well but they are in real world speed by todays standards..slow.
Why are you unable to divorce speed from enjoyment. Even if they were slow (which they ain't) so what? If they handle so well that you can have lots of fun regardless of the out and out power/speed isn't that a good thing?
Old 27 February 2007, 02:24 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Why are you unable to divorce speed from enjoyment. Even if they were slow (which they ain't) so what? If they handle so well that you can have lots of fun regardless of the out and out power/speed isn't that a good thing?
great point!!!! the exact reason the elise was made!!!!!! no real power but loads of fun!
Old 27 February 2007, 02:38 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Agree with you.
Its about how it handles, the feed back you get etc.

Nice write up Chris.

Cheers
Steve
Old 27 February 2007, 03:40 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I got he same comments when I had the S2000 - and that's go another 50 bhp The power figures are deceptive - VTEC cars seem to have some form of magic pixie dust sprinkled on them!

I rememebr getting roasted at 80 mph by a 2.2 Prelude when I was in 270 bhp UK MY00. Surprised I was...

You have to mod it Chris - and I trust you have tried driving it with the airbox lid off? YOU MUST TRY IT RIGHT NOW.

When you mod them they go much faster, although its only a handful of bhp more.

I loved mine, but I just found it frustrating in the power department and a bit raw for a daily 50 mile drive. The S had enough torque to keep me happy.

MB

Quick Reply: A week with the Integra