Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

A week with the Integra

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2007, 12:46 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A week with the Integra

I have owned my Integra for a little over a week now, and I absolutely love it!
And coming from 3 years of Impreza's, thats saying something!

Engine:

The main thing that worried me when I was considering the switch, was the apparent lack of torque. My last 3 cars consisted of an Sti 4, an MR2 Turbo and a MY99 UK turbo, all of which had around 250lb/ft of torque. The integra only has around half that with 140lb/ft. But the drop doesn't feel as big as the numbers suggest. If anything, low down, it seems to have more 'pull' than the impreza. This is probably due to the short ratio box mated with the NA engine characteristics. This also allows the throttle response to be almost instantaneous.
So around town and out of 'vtec', the teg feels extremely nippy and very capable.
When you engage the vtec cam lobes at 5800rpm, it becomes a very different beast. From a standing start, if you floor the throttle in 1st, you will get wheel spin, so traffic light grand prix's are not what this car is all about (grew out of that when I hit 20!). From 2nd gear on the teg comes to life with an engine note that can only be described as sexual! The revs increase so quickly, you have to on the ball to change gear at that magical 8500rpm to keep the engine in the vtec zone.
This video illustates just how quick this car goes through the gears.
YouTube - Acura Integra Type R 223km/h

It does however, take a little while to get used to the gearing. Where you would normally have to drop down to second for a corner or roundabout, the teg manages it easily in third (when driving normally that is!). When crusing on the motorway at 70mph, the engine is turning over at a suprisingly high 4000rpm! Then you realise that there is still another 5000rpm to go and the integra starts to makes more sense. Even though there is enough power at that engine speed to make decent progress (takes just 6 seconds to get from 70-90mph in 5th), you would still need to drop down into 4th or even 3rd to get into vtec. But, as with standing starts, top speed is again not what the integra was built for, even if does still do 150mph. It's the bits in between where this car really shines!

Handling:

The race derived double wishbone suspension on the integra does exactly what is its supposed to. There is an incredible amount of feedback through the steering wheel and it is also perfectly weighted. This was one of pet hates with the impreza in that the steering at high speed felt dangerously light. The integra has a very 'meaty' feel to the steering which makes it easy to dial in the correct amount of steering angle when corning hard. There's none of that 'see-saw' action when the car starts to get out of shape.
Speaking of which, I was expecting the integra to understeer due to it being fwd. But, again, I was wrong. It manages to stay neutral even when you chuck it into a corner faster than you thought you should have.
And even then, its the back that feels the most likely to go.

The lsd is also very good. Due to the great british weather doing its best not to dissappoint, it was the perfect conditions to test out the differential.
I entered a large roundabout at a steady 25mph, then opened the throttle. At first, as you would expect, the front started to slide. But then almost immediately, the lsd kicked in a and pulled the front end back on line. Very impressive for a fwd car.
It is also very well damped and composed over the bumpy bits. The ride is a bit on the hard side, but thats price you pay for having such a well sorted chassis I suppose.

How it makes you feel:

Basically, it makes you feel like you're driving something special. The red recaro's are incredibly supportive, the gear change is light and easy and the driving position is low down with your legs out straight, making you feel like you are indeed driving a race car. And the best bit, I don't feel like a chav anymore! The Impreza is a great car and it is a shame that it has attracted some very negative views as of late. The teg has received nothing but complimants from people of all ages and it makes you feel very proud to own one.

Other bits:

Going from 22mpg upto 30mpg around town doesn't sound like much, but it works out to be around £600 less a year for me! Insurance used to cost me £900 on the scoob, I'm now paying £500. A cambelt change is £160 at Honda, front disks and pads are £60, tyres are £50...... it just goes on and on. I don't feel like I'm paying through the nose for a performance car anymore.
I also get a lot less flack from my darling fiancee (she maybe reading this!), as I can now chuck more funds into the wedding pot every month!

So to sum up:
-It's fast
-Handles better than anything I've driven before
-It's rare (only 1900 UK dc2's were ever built)
-Cheap to run
-Stunning looks
-Harder to drive than the impreza (not by much)
-Very rewarding to drive
-Everybody seems to like it
-Makes you feel like Mr Schumacher!

I will miss the Impreza. They have been such a large part of my life for the last 3 years, I feel as though I've lost a good friend. But the integra feels so fresh and alive, it just begs you to put your foot down!

Heres a few piccys to show my car journey over the past 3 years.

Old 26 February 2007, 01:02 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Having previously come from the wonderful world of VTEC I can fully appreciate what your experiencing. Excellent write up.

May the Teg bring you many hours of motoring joy
Old 26 February 2007, 01:28 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I was considering getting one but I was astonished at the prices. Most people still want £6k for an S reg and some of the high mileage ones were well over £5k. I ended up getting a clio 172 as it was a lot newer for the money.
Enjoy the car
Old 26 February 2007, 02:50 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I used to own a DC2. Awesome car! Long may you enjoys yours.

TX.
Old 26 February 2007, 03:04 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantom
I was considering getting one but I was astonished at the prices. Most people still want £6k for an S reg and some of the high mileage ones were well over £5k. I ended up getting a clio 172 as it was a lot newer for the money.
Enjoy the car
you can now get mint dc2's from autoadvan from £4.5k shipped! I'm thinking about it now lol Need to shift the aerodeck vti-s, anyone need one...?
Old 26 February 2007, 04:12 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

They'll be pre 98 models with smaller brakes and no abs. Still good cars though.
Old 26 February 2007, 07:46 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Is it really better handling than your old sti and my99? I find that hard to believe as its FWD!
Old 26 February 2007, 08:12 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

SUPERCHARGE IT !! MUAHHAHAHAHA
Old 26 February 2007, 08:27 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Wait till the wedding pot becomes a baby pot - u'll be crying out for 4 doors again lol.

I've always loved the integras, excellent write-up there. 50quid for tyres.. I think I'd want something better than that on it ! and I'm also surprised at 30mpg seeing as the civic type R is far less and I thought it was basically the same engine ?
Old 26 February 2007, 09:02 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
Wait till the wedding pot becomes a baby pot - u'll be crying out for 4 doors again lol.

I've always loved the integras, excellent write-up there. 50quid for tyres.. I think I'd want something better than that on it ! and I'm also surprised at 30mpg seeing as the civic type R is far less and I thought it was basically the same engine ?
DC2 Teg has the B18C (1.8) engine.

DC5 Teg has the K20A (2.0) engine that's also used in the JDM EP3 CTR. UK EP3 CTR's use K20A2 engine which devlops slightly less power, has a slightly lower compression ratio, shorter duration cams (but same lift) and a slightly lower volume inlet manifold.
Old 26 February 2007, 09:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StudentScooby
Is it really better handling than your old sti and my99? I find that hard to believe as its FWD!
Why don't people understand the difference between handling and grip?
Old 26 February 2007, 09:31 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Better than the MY99, on par with the sti 4. The sti 4 I had was quite handful at the limit (came lowered on some jap springs). The Integra feels more rigid, with no body roll and excellent steering feedback. Maybe 'better' was too strong a word. How about more enjoyable in the way it inspires confidence. (which in my view, means better!) It also feels a lot smaller and lighter than the impreza (more than the actual 100kg difference). I do miss the old flat four burble and howl at high revs aswell as the super grippy 4wd system. I'd be stupid, or lying if I said otherwise. Both cars have their strong points.
I just wanted something different and a bit cheaper to run. I didn't want to stick with the same car for the rest of my life and I may return to scooby ownership one day, but for now I'm enjoying life with the teg.

They're not the fastest car in the world but neither is the impreza.
Try something different, you might surprise yourself.

Last edited by Gear Head; 26 February 2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 26 February 2007, 10:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

As an ex-S2000 owner you know I'm going to agree with everything you've said (despite the fact I've not driven a DC2). However, your video is misleading. There is no way that DC2 is standard. I make that 0-160km/h (100mph) in around 12 seconds dead (1st second of vid is rev building) and 124mph is coming up in around 19 seconds! It would have to be a VERY good n/a teg to achieve that and more likely FI, although in fairness I don't hear a s/c or turbo. I realise what you were trying to show because when you drive them vtec cars do hammer through the revs but tonight I'm your honesty-police
Old 26 February 2007, 10:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The DC2 suspension is bloody amazing, hardly any discernable body roll compared to an Impreza for instance and the car feels planted to the road yet doesn't crash over the potholes etc. It's the best standard suspension I have ever come across by far.

Why can no one believe 30mpg. I have owned one for over 3 years and get around 30mpg on average maybe slightly more. Sure when you give it a VTEC zone thrashing it does drink the motion lotion, but when you just drive normally over 30mpg is the norm. Compare that to my Scoob - 21mpg when driven hard, 21mpg when driving Miss Daisy - weird that
Old 26 February 2007, 10:48 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Not the best gear changes in the world, but you get the idea.
YouTube - onboard a honda integra type r
Old 26 February 2007, 11:11 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have always had a soft spot for the EK9 CTR, how do you think it compares to the DC2 teg?

Banny
Old 26 February 2007, 11:18 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

They do look cool don't they!
Never been in one to be honest mate. They have the same engine but a shorter through making it a 1.6. Weighs a little less than the teg and kicks out 180bhp. They fetch blo*dy good money too!
Integra DC2 :: View topic - 99/T reg C/W EK9
Old 26 February 2007, 11:48 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Yeh the teg in the first video is modified, its acceleration from 60kmh to 160kph is extremely quick! cool cars, makes me wanna go back to one again for a while
Old 27 February 2007, 03:18 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Chris,
I agree with you almost 100% about your integra. Its the sh$$T as they
say over here is the US. I've driven it only in the dry and as such I agree about its magical handling. I have heard from some other Integra drivers that
its not quite like as good as 4WD in the wet.

Here's a portion of a letter I read in evo a few months back. I'd be interested to hear if you agree?

"I bought my Integra partly on the back of its reputation in evo, and in many respects it did not disappoint. But not all: I found the steering corruption while accelerating on damp or bumpy roads (particularly in transition to V-tec) to be really intrusive; the steering wheel would writhe alarmingly as the diff worked manfully to maintain traction. I would be accelerating, for sure, but at a price higher then I was prepared to pay. Perhaps my car was a bad example, but it seemed to behave pretty much as you describe in every other respect. It wasn't high mileage, and was wearing the correct Bridgestone rubber...."

Thanks, JL
Old 27 February 2007, 08:01 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

ITR suspension far less compromised than the Scoob.
Old 27 February 2007, 08:08 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by jeremy
Chris,
I agree with you almost 100% about your integra. Its the sh$$T as they
say over here is the US. I've driven it only in the dry and as such I agree about its magical handling. I have heard from some other Integra drivers that
its not quite like as good as 4WD in the wet.

Here's a portion of a letter I read in evo a few months back. I'd be interested to hear if you agree?

"I bought my Integra partly on the back of its reputation in evo, and in many respects it did not disappoint. But not all: I found the steering corruption while accelerating on damp or bumpy roads (particularly in transition to V-tec) to be really intrusive; the steering wheel would writhe alarmingly as the diff worked manfully to maintain traction. I would be accelerating, for sure, but at a price higher then I was prepared to pay. Perhaps my car was a bad example, but it seemed to behave pretty much as you describe in every other respect. It wasn't high mileage, and was wearing the correct Bridgestone rubber...."

Thanks, JL

lol

Its called torque steer, and its the price you pay for having a mechanical lsd and nigh on 100bhp/litre in a very light car.

TBH, in mine it was no worse than any FWD volkswagen I've ever driven and if the writer of that article didn't expect his car to do that given the set up he really should have bought something else.

Some people wonder why mere cars cannot defy the laws pf physics.

Its a pretty natural effect of the diff, very easy to live with and the traction benefits more than outweigh a bit of torque steer.
Old 27 February 2007, 09:07 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Nice writeup that... good to read comparisons not written by an idiot...
Like it...

Daz
Old 28 February 2007, 09:26 PM
Monkeybone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
50quid for tyres.. I think I'd want something better than that on it !
Assuming these are 195/50/15 then there's not much to buy over 50 quid a corner!

F1s are about 35quid fitted, Michelin PE2 £49 fitted etc.
Old 03 March 2007, 11:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

After some spit and polish.....
Old 04 March 2007, 09:50 AM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Monkeybone
Assuming these are 195/50/15 then there's not much to buy over 50 quid a corner!

F1s are about 35quid fitted, Michelin PE2 £49 fitted etc.
They are 195/55/15s standard, and if you opt for the OEM RE010 W rated tyres (assuming you can find some) you can pay anything between £60 and £110 depending on market availability at the time. They really do make a difference to the handling feel of the car tho imo. I won't use anything else.

These cars need a very stiff sidewalled tyre to allow the suspension to do its thing efficiently, fitting "sporty" tyres like EagleF1s might give you better wet grip but you'll lose a lot of the steering feel and accuracy in the process.

Old 04 March 2007, 10:21 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

£60 per tyre at the moment at mytyres.com
Old 04 March 2007, 10:55 AM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Try ordering some from them then

I tried that last year and after waiting over a week with no reply from them I got told they were on back order. Waited another week and nothing... so I sacked em and got some through a local tyre dealer the next day...
Old 04 March 2007, 12:06 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I've got S02's on mine at the moment, very 'pointy'.
Old 04 March 2007, 03:27 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I've got S02's on mine at the moment, very 'pointy'.
Excellent tyre on cars I've had but I wouldn't be surprised if you had real problems getting replacements in that size
Old 04 March 2007, 05:03 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EvoBarry
They are 195/55/15s standard, and if you opt for the OEM RE010 W rated tyres (assuming you can find some) you can pay anything between £60 and £110 depending on market availability at the time. They really do make a difference to the handling feel of the car tho imo. I won't use anything else.

These cars need a very stiff sidewalled tyre to allow the suspension to do its thing efficiently, fitting "sporty" tyres like EagleF1s might give you better wet grip but you'll lose a lot of the steering feel and accuracy in the process.

I've got Re010's on mine - bloody brilliant. £65 a corner, balanced and fitted.

Quick Reply: A week with the Integra