Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

birthday luck.... :(

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2007, 02:48 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default birthday luck.... :(

last year i was shot at in a random driveby shooting on my birthday night, now this...... my poor new X5..... i was stuck in traffic, she wasnt looking and going at about 50, then locked up.

my back and neck are killing me, spent all day yesturday in hospital, another great birthday....not.

why oh why?

Simon
Old 25 February 2007, 02:57 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you're both not badly hurt.
Old 25 February 2007, 02:58 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Good advert for driving an X5, though. Be thankful you weren't in an old Nova or something!

Be prepared for whiplash injuries to bother you for some time. MrsREV got hit from behind by an artic in her Forester about 9 months ago and is still having problems with her neck and left arm
Old 25 February 2007, 02:59 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

im glad i wasnt in my scooby, she actually went under me, which in turn somehow made me **** my head on the ceiling.
Old 25 February 2007, 03:05 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

thing is you can see how straight the road is, litterly a mile or so straight line, shes already admited total fault to both police and insurance company, im with the same insurance compnay and they have wavered my excess.
Old 25 February 2007, 03:09 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

If you were in an audi Q7 or A8 you would have been spared whiplash. X5's arent very good in that respect.

Bad luck mate.
Old 25 February 2007, 03:10 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
If you were in an audi Q7 or A8 you would have been spared whiplash. X5's arent very good in that respect.

Bad luck mate.
Old 25 February 2007, 03:16 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
Its true, audi and mercedes are class leaders when it comes to whiplash protection.
Old 25 February 2007, 03:17 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate.

you gotta love him!
Old 25 February 2007, 06:32 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

We got an X5 for that reason. More protection than normal cars. Main thing is that you're OK, car can get repaired.

We chopped in the X5 for a normal car again (RS6 ) but my wife missed the 4X4 so much we just got a Range rover.

Range rover for the family trips and RS for me on my own

Thumbs up mate
Old 25 February 2007, 06:53 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Its a misconception that 4x4's are safer than equivelant sized cars.
Old 25 February 2007, 06:59 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Its a misconception that 4x4's are safer than equivelant sized cars.
Rubbish, more nonsense from the resident fool.

4x4s are much safer in real world accidents. And the newer ones aren't necessarily safer either.

My 97 Landcruiser in Aus took a shunt from behind while stationary, the car behind was travelling at 50mph and I virtually felt nothing. The ladder frame took the impact.

The only bad thing about 4x4s is that they tend to roll over easier.
Old 25 February 2007, 07:04 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Rubbish, more nonsense from the resident fool.

4x4s are much safer in real world accidents. And the newer ones aren't necessarily safer either.

My 97 Landcruiser in Aus took a shunt from behind while stationary, the car behind was travelling at 50mph and I virtually felt nothing. The ladder frame took the impact.

The only bad thing about 4x4s is that they tend to roll over easier.
I could same the same about a e-class or A8.....

The thing about your toyota is that if you crashed into a car of comparable weight you would be fooked. Old toyotas sucked at impact protection.
Old 25 February 2007, 07:15 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

A damaged X5!! Brings a tear to my eye ....

Glad no injuries were sustained....or that only major whiplash and distress were sustained if Claims Direct are reading
Old 25 February 2007, 07:30 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate.
Wow you keep on raising the bar, at this rate there won't be many words left to describe how much of an idiot you are.
Old 25 February 2007, 07:32 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tobisausage
Wow you keep on raising the bar, at this rate there won't be many words left to describe how much of an idiot you are.
How about yourself seeing as your the one who is constantly taking the time to reply to them
Old 25 February 2007, 07:35 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

How about yourself seeing as your the one who is constantly taking the time to reply to them
What?
Old 25 February 2007, 07:46 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Guys, come on, you are all just encouraging him, can't you see that?

If people are really that bothered, just ignore him. It really is that simple. At least PSL and the like are amusing.
Old 25 February 2007, 08:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The X5 is a four star car, which is pretty poor considering superminis get 5 these days, but then again it is an old design. I think however that by and large you are better off in a bigger car and however many stars a car has, say a new Clio has five, its still going to come off worse if it gets hit by an X5, the Euro Ncap tests are done in isolation and are the same for every car so it doesnt take into account anything other than their standard test procedures.

I think your neck hurts as all the energy from the Laguna spaltering itself against your car was transferred through to you, it didnt absorb any of the impact which surprises me as I ould have thought it had been desinged with crumple zones, it looks similar to the accident my brother in law was in, he got rear ended by a Citroen Xantia when he was sat stationary in his Jeep Wrangler, the Xantia was 2 foot shorter, the engine block split but all that was damaged on the Wrangler was the plastic covering the bumpers, the separate chassis did not give a millimetre, he though this was a good thing, I personally would rather have some give when something hits me.
Old 25 February 2007, 08:36 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

been docs again today, my neck hurts, but not as half as much as my back. im havong to lie down on the floor to seek comfort.
ive looked at my car more carefully:

both exhausts folded and warped,
various other metal bits deformed under the car,
bumper split in several places
the rear door flap now has to be pushed down and when up it dosnt sit flush with the top part.
left rear door has a wider gap now.

im going to a propper solicitor, dispite one of my friends is bestmates with the CEO of Claims Direct....i think ill get more. i might as well if im gonna be in pain. ive always been the one to disaprove of these people who claim when they arnt really hurt, but this sucks.
Old 26 February 2007, 07:05 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
The X5 is a four star car, which is pretty poor considering superminis get 5 these days, but then again it is an old design. I think however that by and large you are better off in a bigger car and however many stars a car has, say a new Clio has five, its still going to come off worse if it gets hit by an X5, the Euro Ncap tests are done in isolation and are the same for every car so it doesnt take into account anything other than their standard test procedures.

I think your neck hurts as all the energy from the Laguna spaltering itself against your car was transferred through to you, it didnt absorb any of the impact which surprises me as I ould have thought it had been desinged with crumple zones, it looks similar to the accident my brother in law was in, he got rear ended by a Citroen Xantia when he was sat stationary in his Jeep Wrangler, the Xantia was 2 foot shorter, the engine block split but all that was damaged on the Wrangler was the plastic covering the bumpers, the separate chassis did not give a millimetre, he though this was a good thing, I personally would rather have some give when something hits me.
Where do you get four stars from ?

My maths skills are not great but I count 5

European New Car Assessment Programme: Safety Rating Details
Old 26 February 2007, 07:31 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate.
What a tit
Old 26 February 2007, 10:31 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Jacko, stars are awarded for the total package, including pedestrian protection.

You take a 5 star supermini in a head on with a 4 start SUV and the supemini occupants are history. Basic physics.

As for crumple zones - personally I would rather take the pain than have crushed kids/dogs that happened to be in the 3rd row of seats/boot of vehicles of that type.

Last edited by ///\oo/\\\; 26 February 2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 26 February 2007, 10:37 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate.
Unless the Q7 or A8 has a device that prevents your head moving forwards (which is where most damage occurs) after the initial impact (which forces it rearwords) like a HANS device (which I seriously doubt) then no, you would not be spared whiplash.

Seat and head restraint design may reduce the severity, but nothing is going to prevent it.
Old 26 February 2007, 12:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was going daft, I found it here, now I am confused as this one says four stars ?

The pedestrian rating is separate, most cars are pretty poor at their pedestrain protection, off roaders especially so, if it were incorporated into the overall score then no off roaders would get five stars
Old 26 February 2007, 12:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird - they have 2 X5 entries, one 4 star, the other 5...
Old 26 February 2007, 01:03 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

I thought I was going daft, I found it here, now I am confused as this one says four stars ?

The pedestrian rating is separate, most cars are pretty poor at their pedestrain protection, off roaders especially so, if it were incorporated into the overall score then no off roaders would get five stars
Fair enough,

But in a small 5 star supermini -vs- large 4 star SUV, I know where my money would be...
Old 26 February 2007, 01:11 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

looks like the Holmes Chapel-Chelford road, going towards HC - how did she manage that? Visibility is excellent on that road. Are the police interested intaking it further (due care and attention springs to mind)?
Old 26 February 2007, 01:45 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Get her mobile traced, see if she was on it at the time?
Old 26 February 2007, 04:40 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 406dude
looks like the Holmes Chapel-Chelford road, going towards HC - how did she manage that? Visibility is excellent on that road. Are the police interested intaking it further (due care and attention springs to mind)?
absolutly bang on mate. its the A535. Thats my point, its a straight road with ace visibility, plus mine is an automatic, so i had my break lights on as well, i watched her lock up but there was nothing i could do in time. The police anrt taking it any further.

She had to borrow my mobile cos she didnt have one.

Obviously just a dosey bint.

Si

Quick Reply: birthday luck.... :(