Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

vx220 turbo maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2007, 09:57 PM
mike_330
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vx220 turbo maybe?

was planning on taking my s1a to 450bhp but I have just seen a vx 55 plate forsale that I am tempted at, just about fitted in it then struggled to get out but surpose I'd get use to it

what are they like to live with?

is there much room for improvements?
Old 19 February 2007, 09:59 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

same layout etc as the Elise, how big are you?

Test drove a 220 turbo last year, the salesman was quite young and let me loose on it, very very quick. great fun to drive.

But the same as my old Elise, could not live with it for a daily driver, but would be excellent for weekends
Old 19 February 2007, 10:03 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

How do they compare to a Scooby performance wise in the real world?
Old 19 February 2007, 10:05 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Hard to tell, as they feel like you are going a lot quicker than you are.

Just so much fun to drive too
Old 19 February 2007, 10:18 PM
mike_330
Scooby Regular

its not going to be a daily driver, got a cupra for that

would be great for weekend blasts out tho, I'm 6 3 so just about fit but might not be too comfy after a couple of hours driving
Old 19 February 2007, 10:19 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Same here 6 foot 4, getting in and out is an art, however once in no probs, took my elise for a couple of longish drives with no problems
Old 19 February 2007, 10:41 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

We had a thing at work where we could choose from taking a Skyline, M3, Boxster or VX220 Turbo out for nights/weekends. The VX was bottom of my list after trying all 4 - difference cars obviously; but the VX was a funny mix of what felt like an Astra meets Kit Car - very quick no doubt, but somehow failed to feel special. I would probably choose to test drive something more Caterham like before I splurged on a VX, based on what I experienced.

- Jon
Old 19 February 2007, 10:43 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_dood
We had a thing at work where we could choose from taking a Skyline, M3, Boxster or VX220 Turbo out for nights/weekends. The VX was bottom of my list after trying all 4 - difference cars obviously; but the VX was a funny mix of what felt like an Astra meets Kit Car - very quick no doubt, but somehow failed to feel special. I would probably choose to test drive something more Caterham like before I splurged on a VX, based on what I experienced.

- Jon

Was it best performing salesman of the month
Old 20 February 2007, 12:24 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Was it best performing salesman of the month
Nope, it was open to any employee who had been with the company over a year (roughly) and was part of a benefits package for all permanent employees, a pretty unique benefit in my eyes.

- JOn
Old 20 February 2007, 12:26 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_dood
Nope, it was open to any employee who had been with the company over a year (roughly) and was part of a benefits package for all permanent employees, a pretty unique benefit in my eyes.

- JOn

wow.

Only said that as a company i used to work for did the sales target thing.

I never won
Old 20 February 2007, 04:17 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

I ran a VX as a daily driver. No problem whatsoever. Very comfortable actually. Heater wasn't great, but who cares? Just put on a jumper.

I would save pots of money and go for a 2.2 over a Turbo: one day I decided to trade mine in for a Turbo, drove the dealer demo hard and back to back with mine. In the end I stuck with the N/A, mainly due to tidier handling (the iron blocked Turbo is heavier) and meatier steering. Power isn't everything.

Either way get one. Had to sell mine due to moving house: will be looking for another probably next year.
Old 20 February 2007, 05:17 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Had a vx 220turbo with a stage 2 and it was fun at the max, but couldn't eat a whole one. They have long gearing and capable of 155mph. I took mine to le-man in a convoy against a 500/500 porsche 911, 2 x E46M3's and a STI8 PPP. The VX would keep up would be all the way with a M3 even to top end silly speeds. And at these speeds it feels like you have lift off.

30 feels like 60
60 feels like 100mph
allegadly 100mph feels like 130mph
allegadly 140+ is mental and warp factor nine!

Huge fun but very linear power delivery for a turbo car, They are a firm ride and difficult to get in and out, and the hood in a faff getting on and off.

If its purely a weekend car, then great value for money performance motoring. But personally I would prefer to loose some of the reliability and performance and get something like a TVR Chimera.

They also suffer from stone chips badly. If you do motorway miles, factor a front clam respray once every year. You need to take one for a long test drive really.

Definately one of those cars I didn't regret owning and you couldn't be disspoainted but doub't it would last the test of time.