Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

JD power survey

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2007, 01:56 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JD power survey

So how come I can't find the results? I have read something recently but lost the link, Top gear website was no use and google couldn't find anything nor could JD power survey associates!?!?

I know Skoda, Toyota, Fiat and Honda featured in the top 10
Old 19 February 2007, 02:24 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

What these surveys ought to ask is what the people buying the cars expect from them. I would assume people buying say a Skoda wouldn't expect the sort of quality that say someone buying an Audi would expect.

Hence, the person with the Skoda conveys a much better impression of the car, as their expectations of it are lower.

The fact that Skodas are better than Audis is for another discussion though
Old 19 February 2007, 04:11 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

^^^^ agree

definition of quality, speed, comfort etc are personal to each one of us, the problem with these surveys is that they are based on people's expectations
Old 19 February 2007, 07:23 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

People's expectations are generally set by the price they pay for a car.
I think it is perfectly reasonable to have higher expectations of a £30k Merc than say a £10k Skoda. What would you have..... a survey that told you that a £30k Merc was a better car than a £10k Skoda?
Old 19 February 2007, 11:43 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

So you spend £30k on a car and it STILL doesn't satisfy! So simply, it's not as good as it's price tag would suggest. It's no surprise Lexus do well, they have the high price so expectations are high but they are simply reliable and a good ownership prospect, it's no wonder they've stolen so many Merc sales in the last 10 years. My Uncle has a GS430, nice car, does the job etc. He has VERY high expectations reliability wise from any car he buys. Once they start becoming unreliable he gets rid. He had a Toyota for 10 years and now 4 or so years into his Lexus ownership. Neither of them have had anything go wrong, ever. Lexus come to his house (in middle of nowhere) and give him a GS or LS courtesy car, take his away and service it then deliver it back, no need for him to bother with booking time off to drop off at dealership etc. Other mainstream manufacturers simply don't offer this. As well as quality of car, there's quality of service.

No one has expectation of french cars but they still do crap.

Regardless, you don't compare the Skoda with the Merc anyway. You need to compare the Merc against the Audi/BMW/Lexus and take from that what you will.

Ultimately all the surveys, mag reviews etc. should never be taken as gospel or too seriously but can be helpful in gaining a rough picture of what's out there and how good they are percieved to be. Test drive the ones you like and buy what you want and hope that it's reliable. If it's not good enough then try something else (maybe something higher up the list of the surveys).
Old 19 February 2007, 11:49 PM
Craigieloon
Scooby Regular

Im sure Lexus is number 1 and honda is number 2.... or is it the other way about... Cant remember
Old 20 February 2007, 02:32 PM
fabiavrs
Scooby Regular

well said dracoro.

Lexus customer service is one that the rest SHOULD take on. My mate never had a bad word to say about Lexus.

Its funny people will question if a marque like skoda is at the top, an yet not even be shocked that peugeot is low down.

Yes it is people expectations, I expect ANY car I buy to not let me down, be enjoyable to drive, be reliable and be what I expect it to cost me to run. Thats regardless of its cost!
Old 20 February 2007, 03:49 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I have a Skoda

And a friend had a 2nd hand Lexus that received such shockingly bad servicing and handling from his Lexus dealer in Scotland, that Lexus UK took the car away for several weeks to investigate all the goings on. It turned out to have been sold by another Lexus dealer with false papers, had a problem that should have been picked up by any sort of inspection, and the Scottish dealer failed on 3 instances to correct the fault.

So they're not perfect - maybe just good at hiding the evidence
Old 21 February 2007, 09:17 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I had a Skoda, I used 3 dealers and still no join with sorting niggles out - 5hite service from all of them!

Suzuki and Porsche have been the best in my experience, Skoda, Land Rover, Citroen and Renault the worse.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:40 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
I have a Skoda

And a friend had a 2nd hand Lexus that received such shockingly bad servicing and handling from his Lexus dealer in Scotland, that Lexus UK took the car away for several weeks to investigate all the goings on. It turned out to have been sold by another Lexus dealer with false papers, had a problem that should have been picked up by any sort of inspection, and the Scottish dealer failed on 3 instances to correct the fault.

So they're not perfect - maybe just good at hiding the evidence
What happened after all this was found out by LEXUS??