Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone made this move?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2007, 12:00 PM
towser
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone made this move?

Currently drive an 03 STI, my 3rd scooby. I guess what I'm looking for in a car has changed, I generally do a daily commute ( 20 miles every day )with the occassional longer drive. Scoob is just too expensive to run as a daily commuter IMHO - much as I love the driving experience.

So was thinking of trading for a smaller car with a bit of zip but crucially lower running costs, don't really want to buy a banger and garage the Scoob at the moment.

Test driven two cars already:

1) Suzuki Swift Sport - I liked the look of this car, and granted it is very "chuckable", but just feels seriously underpowered. Also feel it maybe more of a ladies car ( if such a thing exists! ). Was offered £11k on Scoob as a trade!!

2) Skoda Fabia vRS - good usable torque, feels a more solidly built proposition than the Suzuki but didn't have that go-kart feel. I'm tempted as it ticks a lot of the right boxes - not 100% sure it would be as entertaining to drive as a Swift ( or Mini? ). Was offered £9.5k on Scoob as trade - opening gambit.

So I'd appreciate opinions / experiences of those two cars and any similar alternatives.

Also I'm concerned that ultimately I'll miss a Scoob too much, neither of the cars above has the pace, grunt and confidence inspiring sure-footedness of what I'm driving at the moment. Anyone else made a similar move?

ta.....!
Old 14 January 2007, 12:11 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Buy my Rover. I, bought as an interim car, my new one comes at the end of the month. FSH, 82k, MOT till August. Yours for peanuts. Will do 40 miles a day no problem and you get to keep the Sti.

But seriously, get yourself a cheap run about, 40 miles a day is nothing, should be able to pick up and insure something for it's first year for about £700.
Old 14 January 2007, 12:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Skoda on build quality, most Suzuki Swifts i have been in have felt quick and communicative but the interior looks and feels like Airfix designed and manufactured it for them on a bad day
Old 14 January 2007, 02:24 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Definately the Skoda........................easily tuneable,cheap upgrades for suspension,brakes etc,and pretty nippy by all accounts
Old 14 January 2007, 02:39 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Clio 182 Cup etc.

not as quick but more chuckable go kart like feel.
some owners report relibility issues though.

If it has low miles i'd sell yor Scoob for no less than 13k though
Old 14 January 2007, 06:28 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'd actually go for the Swift - Better drivers car (driven the Fabia, NOT the Swift so this is officially lifted from Evo mag and others) I should think and a bit like a modern Saxo VTR/S without the image - I really like them and being a Suzuki, it will be well made.

Recently did a similar "downgrade" (Golf R32 to Astra 1.9CDTi 150PS) and I'm after a period of pain, I'm now loving the luxury of having a car that simply does what it's supposed to without any hassle of worry.
Old 14 January 2007, 07:11 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

100 miles a week on commuting, blimey, thats nothing.

You'd not notice enough difference to make it worthwhile.
Old 14 January 2007, 11:38 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

100 miles a week:

Impreza at say.....26mpg: 3.84 gallons of good stuff = approx £18

Fabia at say.....50mpg: 2 gallons of smelly stuff = approx £8

So you save a tenner a week. Is it worth it?

Due to one of "lifes little surprises" (and not a baby) I did the change you talk about. I went from a 98 Turbo Wagon, to a 2004 Fabia vRS, but I do quite a lot of miles. Insurance was also an issue for me, as I've been a named driver on my wifes policy, due to losing NCB though some armed robber nicking my car a while ago. impreza was £900, Fabia was less than £300.

I've had the Fabia remapped to 180bhp and it now has Eibach suspension. I know I've spent the money I've saved on fuel by modifying it, but I am saving approximately £250 a month on running costs!!....this pays for the car.....I therefore have a "free" car for a while.

I am chuffed to bits with the Fabia, but I see it as a temporary car until I can afford another Scoob (or an M3)

I'd definitely recommend a Fabia vRS!!
Old 14 January 2007, 11:57 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

I would preferably go for the Fabia(I did).

Very common site this people downgrading from Scoobs ect to the VRS.

Dont have the Fabia any longer, but i highly recommend it. Good usable power, excellent MPG, cheap running costs.

No it does not have the Go-Kart appeal, feel to it, but it does handle considerably well for such a heavy car, there is body roll present, but as Marty stated, some suspension upgrade and body roll cancelled out.

You will defo see a difference in your pocket, despite not doing many miles, we all know that between servicing and tyres the scoob is none to cheap a car to run as a daily driver, i found this out the hardway

Paul
Old 15 January 2007, 01:15 PM
towser
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by keevster
I would preferably go for the Fabia(I did).

Very common site this people downgrading from Scoobs ect to the VRS.

Dont have the Fabia any longer, but i highly recommend it. Good usable power, excellent MPG, cheap running costs.

No it does not have the Go-Kart appeal, feel to it, but it does handle considerably well for such a heavy car, there is body roll present, but as Marty stated, some suspension upgrade and body roll cancelled out.

You will defo see a difference in your pocket, despite not doing many miles, we all know that between servicing and tyres the scoob is none to cheap a car to run as a daily driver, i found this out the hardway

Paul
I did some sums over the weekend :

1) 50k service eventually came out at £1,200 - included brakes front and rear and timing belt. So to be fair at lot of things hitting me at once there.

2) Insurance up this month and will be £750 to renew.

3) Two front tyres imminent, that's best part of £200 - £250.

4) Needs tanked up every 7 days, that's about £50 a week on fuel. Realise I have a short commute but there is general driving about aswell.

So for me Scoob has cost me about £2 - £2.5k in the last two months. Now that service is a one off granted....and I hope not to have such a big outlay again but who knows!!!
Old 15 January 2007, 01:33 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

So why sell right now and let someone else have the benefit of all that expense. At least keep it for another 6 months to get some use out of the new tyres and the service.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:08 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

I think you are doing exactly the right thing. Here is one reason that people forget. The money you have paid for the car and to keep it running are costs that you cannot recover. Yes, it is annoying to sell it after a big expense but there is no point spending even more money.

Given most people who can afford to buy an STI are 40% tax payers, that £250 per month equals £3,000 per year which equals £5,000 before tax. You sell your car and get a nice but cheaper to run replacement and you get a £5k pay rise. I can't tell you how nice it is getting 500 miles for 40 quid - you feel good and notice it in the bank account.

And I never got close to 26mpg no matter how I drove my STI.

And one more point. Why not take a look at an even cheaper car. You probably spend most of your time in traffic so why not save a huge amount of money and enjoy yourself doing something else instead. Good luck.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:10 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Blueblaster - You must be getting old like me because that's exactly how I feel these days too!
Old 15 January 2007, 09:40 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Blueblaster - You must be getting old like me because that's exactly how I feel these days too!
I'm only 31!!!!
Old 15 January 2007, 09:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
I'm only 31!!!!
Snap!
Old 15 January 2007, 10:23 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

get a nice tdi golf, economical quality, and it wont let you down, a lot of torque to be unleashed too
Old 16 January 2007, 06:12 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Snap!
Old 16 January 2007, 07:39 AM
ADY 555
Scooby Regular

Or even a Seat FR TDI 150 these arn't to be snift at if you go for one of the last of the old shape 54/55 plate you get the cupra wheels and bumpers as standard and once they are rolling the midrange torque will suprise many a scoobs.