Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone owned a Z06 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2006, 09:38 AM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone owned a Z06 Corvette?

Thinking of getting one as my daily driver, running a Z32 300ZX at the moment but fancy something a bit lighter, faster & more modern. Not concerned about practicality or mpg as it can't be much worse than my Z.
Got a GT40 replica as summer toy so just want something with all the mod cons for daily commute.

Jay
Old 13 December 2006, 09:52 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

suposedly a bag o **** for daily driver
Old 13 December 2006, 08:42 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Any idea why, anyone actually driven one
Old 13 December 2006, 08:43 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

suposedly a bag o **** for daily driver
Why is that then?

I've been looking at them too.

Best to look on here,

CCCUK - Index ask vetteheadracer for his views, he's just bought a standard 2003 Z06 to go along with his twin turbo Z06...

Standard exhaust is a bit quiet but with these borla stingers things change just a little...

YouTube - z06 borla stingers

Last edited by eldudereno; 13 December 2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 13 December 2006, 09:19 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

tbh going on what our man clarkson said.

personaly i'd have a gander at a new m5 or perhaps sl55 amg
Old 13 December 2006, 09:35 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Is that the 7.0 V8 505 BHP 0-60 in 3.7 seconds one?
That's the latest C6 model. The older C5 model ain't no slouch either.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2006, 09:37 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

TKH had one, will mail the thread to him
Old 13 December 2006, 10:41 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
tbh going on what our man clarkson said.

personaly i'd have a gander at a new m5 or perhaps sl55 amg
M5 has too many seats & that & the SL55 are far too expensive. Z06 are from £25k+ (2002-2004 model) much easier on the pocket.

Just found CCCUK actually

Should also mention I've been looking that 2004 year ones.
Old 13 December 2006, 11:02 PM
51st state
Scooby Regular

try BAUER MILLET in manchester they have quiet a few of these Z06 vette's
the salesman races radicals and uses one for daily runabout

i also saw one at the nurburgring, and it was glued to the back of a 911's all the way round
there was a video on here a few weeks ago with one blowing away a ferrari 430 on a track in the USA, so i don't think they are slow os clumsy!!!
Old 15 December 2006, 02:15 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

theyre crap for the money. Might aswell go with ultima and get much better performance as the Z06 has a **** interior, a lazy engine, **** build quality and has a dendency to suffer from wheelhop and flying bodypanels.

Its not fair to compare them to average 911's and F430's as the engineers built in decent levels of comfort etc.

Compare a Z06 to other cars like it ie that are rough and have a **** interior and it will be considered slow.
Old 15 December 2006, 02:26 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

And an Ultima has a better interior????? Also it shares the same engine as a Corvette
Old 15 December 2006, 02:28 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

thats the whole point. they both have ****e interiors so you might aswell get a much faster car for your money.

They dont share the same engine though. The Ultima is a 6 litre something whilst the Z06 is a 7.0 liter.
Old 15 December 2006, 03:14 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

The C5 Z06 that Jay is thinking of buying has a 5.7 litre engine.

He's looking for a very fast, very reliable Gt car which he can use everyday.

To compare the Corvette to an Ultima is crazy.
Old 15 December 2006, 05:06 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Does the Ultima come with 3 year warranty?
Old 15 December 2006, 05:39 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

I've had a long chat with vetteheadracer who's been a load of help, he's not far from me so I'm going to pop over to see him over xmas to check them out & go out for a quick spin.
Seems the way to go, get a lot of car for your money.
Did consider Ultima but it's no way useable as a DD.
Anyone think of any other cars with similar power/weight ratio for <£25k that's relatively cheap to insure & service & a 2 seater. Cant think of anything else out there that ticks all the right boxes.
Jay
Old 15 December 2006, 05:43 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

What about a 996 911?
Old 15 December 2006, 05:50 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

the vette is a great car... the Z06 aint no joke either... i diddnt know they sold them here i would get it... may be a bit wide for your roads here.... but thant doesent stop me
Old 15 December 2006, 07:09 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Champion
What about a 996 911?
Too expensive to run/service/insure, trying to rule out all the exotics, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari etc.
Old 16 December 2006, 01:29 AM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eldudereno
The C5 Z06 that Jay is thinking of buying has a 5.7 litre engine.

He's looking for a very fast, very reliable Gt car which he can use everyday.

To compare the Corvette to an Ultima is crazy.
Ohhhh you guys arent even talking about the only half decent corvette ie the current Z06 but instead that old POS C5 Z06. Id never touch such a vehicle.

****e fuel economy and propper ****e handling and ride. Mildy tuned evos will outrun you as will 2 ton luxobarges from audi, bmw and MB.

Id avoid at all costs.
Old 16 December 2006, 09:05 AM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

****e fuel economy and propper ****e handling and ride. Mildy tuned evos will outrun you as will 2 ton luxobarges from audi, bmw and MB.
What a load of b*llocks!!!

The C5 Z06 will do 0-60 in 3.9 secs and give better mpg than any Evo.

Which one of those luxobarges can do that for under £25k ???
Old 16 December 2006, 11:56 AM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

1. The C5 Z06 wont do 0-60 in 3.9 secs and it wont give you better mpg than a evo unless your on the motorway and stick it in 5/6th gear and cruise at a ultra low RPM.

The C5 Z06 is just so crap. It was the laughing stock of the world, a poor excuse of a sports car and a embarrsement on the world sports car scene.

Get yourself a TVR for your money and actually have some fun.
Old 16 December 2006, 12:09 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Nice cars Corvettes and quite well priced for what performance you get, Never forget when I was filling my car with petrol, and one pulled into the forecourt, it was like no one had seen a car before, the poor bloke was trying to fill his car of petrol and had about 10 people standing round him asking questions.

I went to pay for my petrol and the bloke behind the counter wanted to know what car it was.

Only thing that would put me off would be LHD!
Old 16 December 2006, 01:01 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
The C5 Z06 is just so crap. It was the laughing stock of the world, a poor excuse of a sports car and a embarrsement on the world sports car scene.
Any examples of this or just your opinion?

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Get yourself a TVR for your money and actually have some fun.
LMAO TVR would be the last thing I'd buy as a reliable daily driver
Old 16 December 2006, 01:18 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

There were quite a few at the Nurburgring in October and they where bloody quick!! extremely wide!!
Old 17 December 2006, 01:37 AM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JayPSC
Any examples of this or just your opinion?

LMAO TVR would be the last thing I'd buy as a reliable daily driver
Z06's arent exactly reliable and to back up my statements just search for european reviews of the of the C5 Z06.
Old 17 December 2006, 09:10 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Jay,

Go to Pistonheads and ask in the Corvette forum. They actually have people that have driven/owned these things, not just armchair critics like some of the above.

Gotta love these threads, so many "experts" who know f*ck all, just spout what they read.

How's the GT40 coming along?
Old 17 December 2006, 10:02 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Champion
And an Ultima has a better interior????? Also it shares the same engine as a Corvette
Old 17 December 2006, 10:47 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Hi, I owned a C5 for almost 2 years. I would have C6 at the drop of a hat. The only problem for daily driving is LHD (I got used to it but you would have to see if you liked it) and the size - I used to struggle to get mine into a standard car parking space in a multistory.

Other than those 2 minor points they are BRILLIANT. Engine is very strong and will run forever. Fairly easy to tune but the C5 Z06 does not reallly need more power though IMHO. Most Z0s are manual, gearboxes are strong though. Autos are sweet shifting if a tad slow shift but who needs to shift when you can leave it in 3rd and ride the torque. Not sure how many Z06s were autos though.

Try and get one with active ride, mine had this. You get a selector switch with 3 settings. Makes the car nice and soft for motorways or b-roads but when you want to push on the 3rd setting is rock solid and takes all body roll out. The body work is all plastic so you wont have any rust to worry about. The inside is nice, failry modern and well bolted together. Did not have any major rattles or squeeks from mine, seats were comfy - fully electric. The only fault I had with the car the whole time I owned it was the climate screen went blank. Its a common fault. I managed to source a second hand one for 50 quid! That was the only problem I had. It was cheap to insure (£800) and basic stuff like oil changes were cheap. Bauer Millet are expensive for service though - £1000 for discs and pads... tyres were also expensive but are a lot cheaper now.

Mine was a full EU car so had the proper headlamps and indicators etc. It was sold by Vauxhall to the first owner, they then traded it in at Bauer Millet. The second owner got it from Bauer and I bought it from him.

For the spec and price its a very good buy - I saw 170+ out of mine and could get 24mpg out of it on a motorway run - 15 in town though!

I would love to have another one. Mine had a full Borla system on it - the sound is just so good - nothing beats a V8 at full chat.

If you want any more info PM me!
Old 17 December 2006, 06:46 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Hi, I owned a C5 for almost 2 years. I would have C6 at the drop of a hat. The only problem for daily driving is LHD (I got used to it but you would have to see if you liked it) and the size - I used to struggle to get mine into a standard car parking space in a multistory.

Other than those 2 minor points they are BRILLIANT. Engine is very strong and will run forever. Fairly easy to tune but the C5 Z06 does not reallly need more power though IMHO. Most Z0s are manual, gearboxes are strong though. Autos are sweet shifting if a tad slow shift but who needs to shift when you can leave it in 3rd and ride the torque. Not sure how many Z06s were autos though.

Try and get one with active ride, mine had this. You get a selector switch with 3 settings. Makes the car nice and soft for motorways or b-roads but when you want to push on the 3rd setting is rock solid and takes all body roll out. The body work is all plastic so you wont have any rust to worry about. The inside is nice, failry modern and well bolted together. Did not have any major rattles or squeeks from mine, seats were comfy - fully electric. The only fault I had with the car the whole time I owned it was the climate screen went blank. Its a common fault. I managed to source a second hand one for 50 quid! That was the only problem I had. It was cheap to insure (£800) and basic stuff like oil changes were cheap. Bauer Millet are expensive for service though - £1000 for discs and pads... tyres were also expensive but are a lot cheaper now.

Mine was a full EU car so had the proper headlamps and indicators etc. It was sold by Vauxhall to the first owner, they then traded it in at Bauer Millet. The second owner got it from Bauer and I bought it from him.

For the spec and price its a very good buy - I saw 170+ out of mine and could get 24mpg out of it on a motorway run - 15 in town though!

I would love to have another one. Mine had a full Borla system on it - the sound is just so good - nothing beats a V8 at full chat.

If you want any more info PM me!

That's what I like to hear, just confirms everything I've already been told, just gotta sort myself out a test drive in the new year then I'll have to start saving lol.

Craig, Only negative comments seem to be coming from Audilover which is no surprise, doubt he's been within 3miles of one.
The 40 is getting there, chassis has been painted, just starting to get it back together. Difficult to fit it in between work, I'll start hitting it hard in the new year. Have build thread going on here UK RCR - JayPSC - GT40s.com

Quick Reply: Anyone owned a Z06 Corvette?